Nav Lights - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by CatFighter, Sep 20, 2009.

1. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    I have wired up my boat with LED bow lights and a back-up light from Advance Auto parts mounted on a piece of PVC pipe (a $4 alternative to the $35 stern lights on the internet). LEDs can be seen for 1mi and i have two of them; they should keep me legal.

Let me know what you think!

Also, I have a question. that stern light has to be bright enough to be seen for 2 miles. it's super bright! Does anyone know if you have to keep that light on while you're anchored? I fear it will have an adverse effect on cat fishing if it has to be on.

here's a pic of boat before the paint:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._128627881729_689756729_2394268_2939010_n.jpg

Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "Does anyone know if you have to keep that light on while you're anchored?"

Yes, I believe so.

3. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I do beleive Lawrence is right, but how many actually do this? I know that I don't unless another vessel is approaching or (FISH ON):big_smile: or (d@*& it broke my line gotta re tie):angry:. I have fished alot of places and haven't seen or heard of someone getting much more than a please try and leave them on or nothing at all. But this is KS.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Two things can and has happened when some one didn't keep their stern anchor light on. A fast moving bass fisherman will plow right through you on his way to the secert community fishing hole. Everyone knows those guys can't go no where without going 80+ MPH.
    The second thing a big ole expinsive ticket. To sum it up all states follow that one code . anchor light on when anchored. I use the leds instead of the hid's

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  5. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    Guys on another boat forum are being a little sanctimonious about my LED nav lights. They says because they're not a Coast-Guard approved light (i.e. I spent $4 on LEDs rather than $40 for the same LEDs in a fancy plastic box) that if anything were to happen I would be liable.

Seems kind of ridiculous to me, especially when we're talking about a river that's like 1/8 mi wide here, not Lake Superior or something.

I'm going to show my local DNR officer and see what he says. legal is legal, whether you spend a bunch of money at a fancy-pants boat shop or make your own.

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I doubt anyone is doing anything except pointing out the very real fact that your lights do in fact need to be "Coast Guard Approved".

I would think that you could in fact be held liable if an accident occurred and you did not have CG approved lighting on your boat.

They have a 'standard' for a reason or else folks would have all kinds of substandard lighting on their boats. Not saying your light isn't bright enough to meet those standards, it may or may not be, but they aren't CG Approved. The opposing lawyers will win that one hands down if you should ever find yourself in a lawsuit.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    As far as the white light (stern light) It is called an anchor light.
    When on anchor it should be the only light on.
    The red and green lights are navigational aids. It tells me which way your vessel is headed. No need to display that if you aren't moving.

When I see white light that tells me what I need to know about that boat. It's on anchor therefore I don't have to worry about us being on opposing courses or the potential for collision.
    It's why proper display of nav lights is important and should be observed.

As far as a home made light for a boat not being CG approved.
    It doesn't have to be. I've built a many boat that by law and CG regulation doesn't have to be CG approved.
    ONLY if I build as a business to sell do I have to have my vessels CG approved.
    The regulations for the lights are spelled out clearly. As long as you meet regs the CG could care less if you built them out of soup cans or bought 200 dollar a piece LED's.

An added note. Just because you go out and buy a light doesn't mean it meets regs.
    There are plenty of them that do not.
    If you spend money on lights you would be wise to get upper tier type lighting. Stay away from the "bargain" light and the economy lights.
    You get everything from the green lense appearing blue at a mile to the red lense appearing orange at a mile to the lights not meeting the specified viewing distance.

8. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nice but,,,, I dont know brother. In this day and age I think I would go for something that sticks up a little higher and puts out a little more light if it were me. Always leave your Stern light on when anchored and as far as the Regs go its to late to get some better bow lights once one of the local Bass boys has run over you at about 80 MPH. :eek:oooh:

9. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The last part of this is kind of important, lets look at it again shall we??:big_smile:

10. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    No, I agree. Lawyers would have a hey-day but at least I wouldn't have to pay any legal fees (I'm an attorney, heheh).

Anyway, I'm heeding the advice and getting a dual-colored 12V lantern to install in the front. This, in addition, to the 4 LEDs I put on the front, should be more than enough green and red lights to keep a basstard from running me over.

(BTW - don't flame me; it's a joke. I bass fish too. :eek:oooh:)

11. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You should have never put that you BASS fish in print. Now we have to start the hole Man Card Review Process.....:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

12. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    Just smallmouth (and largemouth when I need good flathead bait, haha!)

13. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    Hey!! I should have listened to your wisdom. I bought a POS cut-rate light at iBoats.com, the damned thing quit after about 2 minutes. Luckily, my $0.99 LEDs were still on so I was legal.

To add insult to injury, I went to inspect the bulb and it shattered in my fingers. :angry:

Unbelievable!! And, of course, since I bought it online for $20 shipped, there's no real point in complaining and asking for my money back . . . Anyway, I shouldn't have purchased a cut-rate bulb, for sure! I'm replacing it with some 12V LEDs.

14. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    check out this website it is the maryland boater safety course. most of the laws are universal, although you may want to check with your local dnr. the problem is if you dont have a bow and stern light on at all times, then approaching boats dont know where you are especially in foggy low vis situations. it doesnt cost any thing to take the course only if you want to get the license. i had to have it on a trip i went on a few months ago.

http://www.boat-ed.com/Maryland/index.html

15. Randy

Randy New Member

State:
    Trinity,Texas