Natural lake tips needed

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by katlover, Feb 12, 2006.

1. katlover

katlover New Member

State:
    california
    I fish Lake Elsinore which is a natural lake and not a reservoir. I also fish from shore. Does anyone have tips on how to catch channel cats? Anything will help from rods to rigs. Thanks.

2. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i would say normal tactics for channels...

12-15 lb line on a 6-8ft rod, reel of your preference either spinning or baitcast.

simple carolina rig w/ 1/2oz-1.5oz of lead, bead then swivel... leader somewhere around about a foot long to 18 inches (maybe a small bobber to keep bait off the bottom for easier access for the channels) then a size 1/0-5/0 hook depending on the size of the bait your using

Since its a natural lake, try catching some forage fish, either shad, bluegills, sucker or what ever and use them live or as cut bait... the other option would be liver for me atleast. Worms will work too but if you've got bass, carp or sucker in there the catfish may not be the first biters you've got on that...

Don't forget your camera so you can practice catch, photo and release.

Good Luck

3. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i forgot to say where too... i know your from shore so try and find a good topo map of the lake... and look for shallow (depending on the lake could be anywhere from around 2-15 ft) next to deeper (again depends on lake usually 15-30+ ft) or near the channel... if there is no map look at the shore line where it enters the water... usually the topography continues alittle into the water where it is so if its a long flat section next to a bluff its a good possibility that theres deep water coming up to a shallower spot probably with a good drop off around where the 2 meet on shore...

Also look for downed trees which will attract bait and there for channels and other predatory fish.

Overhangs like trees, bridges, etc... something birds can perch on also is a good place to look because the birds poop will act as a natural chum , esp if the birds are commorants or other fish eating birds that will eat shad...

4. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    The above is some great advice!! If you can find a shallow flat adjacent to deep water, with some kind of cover, your in for some catfish!!!

5. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Perhaps you can get a lake map if one has been made. If the water level varies during the year try to note the low level structure that will be covered later on. Prepared bait will probably work well too. Anchovies worked for me in clear water and the salt/smell seemed to be in favor with the cats.

6. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I think you have received some great information above! You will definitely want to consider netting in a few locations to get a feel for what kind of baitfish are present in your lake. Obviously you will want to fish with some of the species that you catch.With channels you will not necessarily need live bait. Don't hesitate to use it but, don't give up just because you don't have it. Cut some of those shad or suckers up and give them a whirl.