Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

NATIVE FLATHEADS vs. INTRODUCED FLATHEADS

872 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  flatheadslayer 
#1 ·
I was just reading up on flatheads,and came across an interesting article.Native vs. Introduced flatheads.the study was conducted on the coosa & tallapoosa rivers(native),and the Ocmulgee & Satilla rivers(introduced).
The study showed that the introduced flathead grew 4 times faster than the native flathead.i just found that to be an interesting fact,and thought i would share.

#4 ·
Where does it say the introduced flatheads grow four times faster than the native flatheads?

All it says is the introduced flatheads in the Ocmulgee and Satilla grow faster than the native flatheads in the Coosa and Tallapoosa.

Could it be they have more to eat in the Ocmulgee and Satilla rivers? Just a thought.

#8 ·
Where does it say the introduced flatheads grow four times faster than the native flatheads?

All it says is the introduced flatheads in the Ocmulgee and Satilla grow faster than the native flatheads in the Coosa and Tallapoosa.

my original post stated the study took place on the ocmulgee,satilla,coosa,and tallapoosa rivers.and the statistics are in there too.

#10 ·
So what you are saying is there are some really young, really big fish in the non-native waters, huh??
i'm not sayin' that,maybe the study does.what i think its sayin,and this is only an oppinion,is that when the flats were introduced into the non-native rivers,factors such as abundant food supply,maybe a longer growing season,and possibly a suitible habitat lets them grow quiker than they did in the 2 native rivers.but if left unchecked or mismanaged that could change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.