Native American Artifacts

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Fishmaster1203, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Anybody collect spearheads and arrowheads? What do ya'll think about it being illegal to pick them up on public land. On the WMA down the road they have put up big signs at the gates that say you can't even touch them. I don't agree with digging them out of mounds or anything like that but what if you just see one laying on the ground. Would you pick it up?

2. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    My Dad got me started a long time ago hunting artifacts.

Some of my best bird arrows were found on WMA's while "looking at the wildlife", lol.

don3778

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yeah Boy! A lifelong passion of mine. NICE Kirk snapped base, Paul!!!!! See page one and two from this link, to view a portion of our collection.

http://dirtbrothers.org/gallery/bristow/

Bill in SC

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    If I had the chance to pick up an ancient artifact like an arrowhead, I would'nt hesitate for one moment! Highly collectable and a great conversation piece. My old barber friend of mine had quite the extensive collection of arrowheads. I would like to go and search for some to someday. I would be fun just like metal detecting for coins or other metal items.:wink:

5. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    This one is kind of a touchy subject with Karen and I... We find them all the time on our property, no joke. When I found about 20 of them, I asked around and did research on the native americans that were here. We found out, and called the local native american branch and told them what we found and wanted to give them to the people. They came out. The chief, and the spiritual person (can't remember what he is called), and looked at them, and accepted my gift to be displayed in the museum near here. They are there now and can be seen anytime the museum is open. :smile2:

We also had found a TOOL that was used for carving. It fit the palm of the hand perfectly and had a very sharp edge. It was also donated.

In return, the chief made me take a 150 year old eagle feather. he pulled it out of his pouch, unwrapped it, and put it in my hand! So there now sits a 150 year old eagle feather in my house, protected from the elements at all time.

We still find them on our property, but now, instead of picking them up and keeping them to donate, we pick them up and move them out of sight, and put them out in the deeper woods where they won't be stumbled upon by trespassers to pick up and sell in the flea markets. GRRRRR

Having said all this. I don't have a problem with collectors, as they USUALLY cherish what they have and protect them, but I "DO" have a problem with the flea market sellers... There's nothing I can do about it, it just ticks me off is all.

6. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Thats a very impressive collection Bill! I wish I could get my grandfathers collection together and get some pics. He has boxes of them we have found over the years on his farm. He insists that they NEVER leave the farm. He says that they belong to the land, just where they were found. Not quite sure was his game plan is for them when he passes, but I am pretty sure those boxes will be brought up real quick.

7. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Here are a few more I've found on private land.

8. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I see 'em and I don't see them. I pick them up fairly routinely here. We have a lot of mounds. Most have been destroyed from farming. I have limestone bluffs where they have carved out the chert. You can see how they went along the bluff edges and dug the stuff out. Chips, points, scrappers all over the place. I usually leave them lay.

I have no problem with collecting them. They are neat and there is something about picking up a point or scrapper that has been lying there for God know's how many years and feeling it's edge.

Wonder if someplace down the road it will become sacred to not pick up the things I have thrown in the ditch though. Those bean cans ought to be worth some money down the road.

9. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Anybody know what this is? A buddy said it is some sort of game ball. Bill, your collection is awesome! I'll let you take over from here. :wink:

10. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I am no archeologists, but it looks like a grinding stone they used to crush things like grains and such. My grandpa's collection has one and he actually found the rounded out stone they used to grind on a couple feet from it.

11. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    I was going to say that as well, but the ones I've seen were a lot bigger than that. Maybe a child's grinder? tobacco/herb grinder maybe? I have no clue, but am very interested in finding out what it actually is.

I really wish I would have taken pictures of all the ones we donated to the museum. Some were perfect, some were partials, and the scraper was museum quality perfect.

12. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    One more. Here is my biggest heartbreaker. :angry:

13. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    It definitely stinks when ya find those broken ones! Especially when you look down and see this perfect point sticking out of the dirt, ya get all excited, only to reach down and grab it and thats all it is, just a point.

14. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    Indeed, but it's still part of the collection. :smile2:

15. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Thanks Griz but the page won't come up. I presume what it said is that it is illegal to pick them up on NPS land?

16. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    Yeah it says it's 100% illegal to remove ANY artifact from ANY public lands.

That's not exactly what it says, but that's exactly what it means. LOL

17. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  18. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Thanks again Griz. I found all of mine on PRIVATE PROPERTY and as far as I know, there is no law that says you can't pick them up on private land. Seems to me they would be the property of the landowner.

19. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    There is no law that says you can't pick them up on private land (with the owner's permission of course)...

HOWEVER! If that private land has been designated an archeological dig site, there are many many laws that will nail you for even TOUCHING anything, unless you are part of the dig team. Once it has been legally classified as a dig site, not even the OWNER of the land can touch them anymore. Some people don't realize that when they bring in a dig team and make it a legal dig site, that they no longer have control of their own land.