National Fishing Lic -- Cool Idea

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SubnetZero, May 13, 2008.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Not sure if this has been posted or not....

Ran across this today.. Looks to be a grass roots effort to get a National Fishing Lic...

http://www.nationalfishinglicense.org/

Looks to be a pretty well thought out plan from a quick scim through it. Its $110, every state gets $2 out of the pool, retailer gets $3, and Feds get $7 for running it.. Seems to me each state would benefit pretty well from it, as they get $2 from EVERY lic sold, no matter if the angler fishes in that state or not so I would think it would be nice little boost to each states DNR Budget (If you can keep the politicians hands out of it)

If you fish multiple states, wouldn't take long to save a nice penny from all the out of state fishing lic fee your currently paying

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm not so sure I like that idea. Sure, some states would benefit, but others would suffer. I feel like I live in one of the states that would suffer. I like the way things are run here now, and wouldn't want to change it. But, that's just my opinion.:wink:

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    an optional national fishin license would more suit me. i don't fish other states every year, but for the times i do, it would come in handy.

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    By chance what does it happen to say about a person turning 65 (which I will next year) in thier home state. Then Idon't need Lic to FISH , except for trout which I don't fish for
    Wonder how that will work

5. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    [Leave the feds out of our fishing, the next thing they'll need a new department of interstate fishing and are employing hundreds of thousands of workers that have nothing to do with fishing.

6. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I am all for it. I mean, I don't go off fishing to other states for that very reason. For one camping/fishing event in TN for example, I need to get a license. I know Eric said he spent close to 500 bucks last year in licenses alone just to have all those little fishing trips all over the US. That i sjust bloody nuts!

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Well, its not my initiative, so I may be speaking out of turn. I just thought it was a good idea. Also, who knows what the actual plan would look like once the political machines got a hold of it.. The proposal on that link sounded like a good one to me..

Not sure how your state would "suffer"?? If someone was planning on spending a great amount of time to fish in MO, It would make more sense for them to just get the Non-Resident Lic at a much cheaper rate (its what $35-$40?) Meanwhile, MO would receive revenue on every National Lic sold in all 50 states. Wouldn't think a large percentage of those would be headed straight for MO. Guess I'm not seeing where the suffering comes in.

I wonder how they would deal with saltwater fishing ??

Doesn't Say anything about that. Though I would assume State Law would exempt you if you travel somewhere where 65 is free. This is also an Optional Lic, so you DON'T HAVE to buy it. So if you travel to somewhere where they allow 65 with no Lic, I guess your golden

Too Late, they already have one, U.S. Fish & Wildlife service

8. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'd get one if they had one. I like the idea.

9. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Heck sounds like a good idea to me. I know it would probably save me a few bucks most years.

10. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    For the travelers yes but if you don't get to fish in other states often then no that is just my feeling on it

11. huskerkat

huskerkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I would rather see a cheaper, regional license. 3 or 4 or 5 states instead of all 50. If someone has the time to fish in 10 or 20 states in one year, he can probably afford to buy a permit in each state! Us poor folk that live in an area like mine, where I can travel to lakes in other states in less time than I can travel to the larger lakes and reservoirs in my home state. It really is kind of unfair!
    Or possibly a license for an area based on a certain radius from your residence. Say 35 bucks to fish 200 mile radius from your home. That would be kind of cool! JMO

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Tim to some this may be the way to go ,But to me if I had to pay that much for a lisc. I would have two choices ,quit fishing or start poachin.

13. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    it would work out good for the tournament guys and gals. Would also benefit me too, since I travel a lot for work and some weekends I dont make it home.

14. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for sharing the link with us I like the idea alot to, cause alot of people like to travel different states and stuff like that and that would save time instead of going and buying a out of state license, sounds like a good idea to me, I would get one if they had one. Thanks again for sharing.

15. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    it would work for me but if i had a vote on it i would vote no. i have 5 current nonresident fishing license in my wallet and it would save me money. i also know plenty of folks who like to fish that have a hard time comeing up with 110 dollars to pay there electric bill with. i vote for cutting the price of resident fishing license across the board.KAT IN THE HAT SAID MISSOURI WOULD SUFFER WITH NATIONAL license. missouri is already suffering with the system they have now. to start with you would either have to be a lawyer or hire one to uderstand missouris wildlife codes. i fish tanycomo alot and have yet to see a game warden there. i have fished there for 11 years and have not seen one enforcement officer. i do however see fishing violations every time i fish there. i know maybe there all out counting trotline hooks. lets see i am allowed 33 hooks total. that means if i want to jug line i can have 6 hooks that leaves 27 for the trotline. oh wait i want to throw a pole out on the bank so lets see 26+1+6. anyhow . i suspect there are probably a lot of legal issues involved similar to the reciprocity laws associated with concealed carry.fishing and hunting should be affordable for everyone and the laws should be easy to inturpret. then if someone poaches fish or game the penalties should be sever enough to curb the problem. this is my opinion. my opinions like my arm pits stink to most people.

16. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What I mean is, we will receive less revenue from our own residents which benefit from those revenues. I'm not sure the national system would A) surpass current revenue from resident and non-resident permit sales. B) I'm not sure that the funds would be utilized in a way that is in the best interest of the residents, which to me are most important.

If there were added amenities and accommodations for any increase in fishing tourism, it might be worth it. States with good fishing might see a large influx of non-resident fisher-people, and there would need to be significant revenue for that to be attractive to residents. Otherwise, there's just more people competing for space, and resources. More people junking up our lakes and rivers.

What about the states that the fishing just isn't a draw for sportsmen? They get the same cut as those states with a high demand? I think that states with good fishing, like Missouri and many others, deserve the extra money spent by those who wish to fish here from out of state.

How about a national big game hunting permit initiative? Just doesn't add up to me. If I live in Mo., and I wanna kill a bull elk, should I pay the same as the residents in states where they live? It's a stretch, but the same to me.

It would benefit some people, and not others. I don't see how I would benefit, or how Mo. would benefit. Also, I'm all for keeping the federal government out of the business of how our fisheries are funded and managed.

17. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I think that the national license would not be well received here in California; as things stand, the state gets about $40 for each resident license. Also, at $110, I find the national license to be rather expensive.

The concept, however, seems ideal for travelers, especially for people who fish near state boundaries often.

-- Rich

18. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

it sounds/sounded pretty cool to me, for folks who fish multiple states. I decided to read the rest of this thread before posting, to benefit from folks' opinions which I respect. I think everyone has valid points to consider.

Now I'm sitting here mentally weighing what effect it would have on NC, and at present, GAS PRICES. We have a booming tourism business in NC normally, and some of them are fishermen. IMO our resident fishing licenses are quite reasonable in price, but currently I think the travel aspect (even to different parts of the state) is quite hard on folks; and I'm not sure what an out-of-state license costs. Hopefully in the future it won't be such a hardship on people.

There are SO many aspects. Such is life :wink:. Interesting to think about though Tim. As many threads on the BOC influence me to do, I'm headed in the direction of doing further research before I decide what I REALLY think :big_smile:. Cut and dried isn't in my vocabulary (I know, I know, I'm from the tobacco state......but I never had to cut and dry it!)

My thought would be let's have it available for the ones who would benefit FROM it.......and at the same time protect the interests of individuals/states who wouldn't. Dang, still wishin' I could live in a perfect world. :eek:oooh:

Earth to Tanya, over? :smile2:

19. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    It would be good for me cause I can be in two other states within 30 minutes and a third in a hour and a half. Everyine ain't that lucky.

20. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    What I get from reading the website, you still have to buy your resident license to be eligible to purchase the National License. The National License is optional, say you only fish one other state you can still buy a non-resident license from that state. Also this National License is for freshwater fishing only.