National Championship

Discussion in 'Ersel's Gridiron Talk' started by bumper, Dec 2, 2007.

1. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Okay, it's pretty much a given that Ohio St. will play in the title game, but who do you think should play them? There are around 6 teams with an argument (so they say) to play in the championship game. It's simple to me, 1 and 2 lose, so 3 and 4 should move up and play for the title. So I say it should be Ohio St. vs. Georgia in the BCS title game(GO DAWGS!). Who do you think should play in the championship game?

2. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Who do you guys think play for the national Title? I obviously want VT to get a shot as I feel like they are playing their best ball here at the end. I think the only other fair option is LSU. GA may feel thats not right but they couldn't even manage to win their division much less their conference. VT has the best 2 losses of any 2 loss team, BC and LSU were both ranked #2 when the game was played and both are still ranked in the top 15 now, while LSU's 2 losses came to teams that are not currently ranked. GA lost to SC a team that may not even get to go bowling. Oklahoma lost to Colorado and Texas Tech teams that weren't even ranked when the game was played much less now. USC lost to Stanford. From what I can tell all the other 2 loss teams screwed the pooch alot worse then us and I think we ought to get a shot. What do you guys think?

3. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    #1-Ohio State, Big 10 champs
    #2-LSU, SEC champs or Oklahoma, Big 12 champs

In my opinion, there should be a requirement that you must win your conference championship to even have a chance to play for the National Championship. That's why I believe the voters will move LSU or OU ahead of UGA. And I'm tired of hearing this junk from the ESPN homers about UGA and USC being the "hot" teams right know. If they're so hot now, why wasn't USC when they lost to Stanford, and UGA couldn't win their own division much less the Conference title?

4. dahoss2002

dahoss2002 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I gotta agree. Its gotta Be LSU or Oklahoma. We just gotta see how the BCS points come out. I agree V Tech has a gripe but we beat them by over 40 points. I realize thats old news but it happened this year. in 2003, there were 3 teams LSU, OK, USC and the puter picked OK over USC even though OK lost their championship game against KS. I gotta think the champ game gave OK the edge and rightfully so. We could argue all day whether LSU's losses were sorrier than Oklahoma's losses this year or vice versa but if V tech plays Ohio st for the national title, then Ok and LSU need to hookup in the sugar Bowl with the winner bein co- champs just like USC got it with an easy win over Michigan when LSU and Oklahoma squared off for the 2003 season. I felt kinda bad that someone was left out but NC for beating #4 Michigan team? U really gotta be an OJ fan to like that LOL!!!!!!!!!!
    On a lighter note, if all our guys are healthy a month from now, It wont matter who we play..................GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    It dosnt matter Im just glad my Buckeyes are there!!!! But I hope its LSU so me and my bro Catfishjohn can get together and have some wings and beer!

O-H!!!!:smile2::wink:

6. dahoss2002

dahoss2002 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Yall boil some crawfish too!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I love crawfish! We eat them at least once a month.:wink::smile2:

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Let's see, Georgia is ranked next in line and have played very good ball of late but... did not win their conference or division.

LSU lost twice, and won by the skin of their teeth many times, reminding me of the 2002 NC OSU,

USC only beat 2 teams this year that ended the season with a winning record.

OU beat the #1 team in the country, twice in the same year, the same team that made Kansas look ill.

Pick Hawaii, that's who I'd rather play....

Oh, this is about picking the best in the country...

OSU vs OU.... scares me to death, final score OSU 21-12

9. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    tOSU's only loss was to an unranked team at home and played in no league championship game.

KU's only loss was to the #4 team in the country on a "neutral" field and played in no league championship game.

If tOSU is playing for the National Championship then why isn't KU? A late season loss to #4, verses sitting on your butt not playing anyone and moving up the charts because your a better team(tongue planted hard in cheek).

The BCS is even more screwed up than I thought if a 2 loss team jumps KU in the standings........why they fell below tOSU is baffling to me, we didn't lose to an unranked team at home.

Who should play for the national championship.............USC vs Oklahoma.........2 best teams in the country right now.

10. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Once again the bc has the NC game tainted! You would think the play-off system will have to be the only choice next year! :angry:

11. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Okay, everybody say it together:

THE BCS SUCKS!!!!!!

Man, I hate the BCS. It's high time we piled all those computers up and lit them on fire. Scrap the whole flippin' system and have a playoff. Yes, I like bowl games too, but there's only one fair way to decide a national champion: let them play. Everybody knew that eventually the BCS would cause some unbelievable train-wreck & screw up the whole college football season.... well it happened. Thank you very much.

It didn't just happen yesterday either. Anybody wanna look at the last bcs rankings that came out last Sunday on November 24th? I'd take teams 7-10 and give anybody who'd wanna bet, teams 1-4 and play you straight up. I would've won at least 3 of the 4 games, if not all of them. I'm sick and tired of hearing people give the same old lame excuse "Well, it's the best we've got" Horsecrap!!! No other intelligent organized sport decides their champion that way, so why should college football? If it ain't working, change it. It's just common sense.

Who should play in the national championship game? I don't know. What I do know is that the only shoe-in team is Ohio State and they haven't played in what? 2 weeks? 3 weeks? There's no title game for the Big-10 championship, they just decide it based upon records, or popularity, or paper/rock/scissors or something. OSU didn't play their way into the national title game. They idled in. Nice work BCS!!!! I'm not knocking Ohio State, please don't get me wrong. They scheduled an easy schedule and nearly swept it, then sat by and got placed in the national championship game when the teams with tough schedules had to battle their way through. Sounds like a good idea to me, and if the BCS powers will allow it to happen, then why not do it? Seriously. If they will let you do it, then schedule a cupcake schedule and sweep it. Oh wait, Hawaii did that & they're not playing for a title either. Nevermind.

I think the best 3 teams in the country right now are OU, USC, and LSU. Unfortunately, only 1 of those teams will even get a chance to beat Ohio State for a national title. It's truly sad. We need to scrap the BCS and draw up a legitimate playoff system that will decide a real champion. It needs to be done yesterday, if not sooner.

P.S. to all OSU fans on here, I'm just ranting.... nothing personal. A few years ago, most of these same things could've been said about OU. They lost the conference championship & got to play for a NC anyway.... I'm just letting off steam here.

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    just my opinion, ohio state had a loss to a very talented unranked team, and played poorly. But, not being partial..lol.. ohio state all around is the best one loss team in the nation! rollo

13. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i think OU is the best team right now, but they have no shot at the top game. their 2 losses did them in.

and i think the bcs works fine - it isn't the bcs that messed things up this year, it is the teams like OU that didn't maintain the consistency they played with.

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    There are many teams that have a legitimate claim to the NC game. I only said OSU because I am a fan, and apparently the shoo in or consensus.

KU lost to the #4 but didn't win their conference AND lost too late to recover.

Everyone lost to a team that statistically shouldn't have had a prayer... Except Hawaii.

I don't know who should be playing for it. I don't see USC as overly hot right now, like Ohio State it's the image and the prowess of their coach (BTW Tressel has just about the same record as Carroll)

I think it would be the most money to see OSU/USC in the Rose Bowl, and Say VT/OU in the big game, LSU/Mizzou, Ga/Kansas.

Heck, it's time for a playoff to the NC. Call it New Years Madness, the Search for Superiority!

15. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Should be interesting. Until there's playoff system, teams are going to get screwed out of going (Hawaii) and teams that shudn't be going are going to be able to go (insert your choice of teams here).

By my way of thinking, LSU is most deserving to play in the National Championship game against Ohio State, but I'm betting the BCS will screw it up. If everything was based on win/loss, then Hawaii should be playing.

ESPN has a poll up...

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/polling?event_id=3273

16. suddawg

suddawg New Member

There is never be a true bracket style playoff replacing all the bowl games. There is just too much revenue for the schools. I could possibly seeing a final 4 playoff in the end of all the bowls, however the coaches won't like that either.

I say LSU vs. OK...that's just because I can't stand seeing a team that didn't have to play an extra game against a quality opponent to prove that it deserves to be there...

Yes Ohio St. lost to Illinois.....however

Illinois lost to Missouri by a pretty good score earlier in the season.

SudDawg

17. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Well obviously we need a playoff if college football ever wants to determine a true champion. I can't believe the big deal being made over GA not winning its conference. First; had SC, Vandy, or KY(just 1 of them) made their field goal attempt at the end of their game against TN, then GA would have played LSU in the SEC championship. Second, if the SEC had no championship game(like Big-10 & PAC-10) then GA, LSU, and TN would have all been co-champs. GA, being ranked highest in the polls of these teams(the tiebreaker), would have represented the SEC in the national championship game without a fraction of the current debate. Does everyone realize the number of national champions in other sports that didn't win their conference or division. Wild-card teams in the NFL and MLB have won the Super Bowl and World Series without winning their division. Probably half the time the winner of the NCAA basketball tournament didn't even win their conference tournament, but you never hear anyone say that they shouldn't be the national champs because they didn't win their conference tournament. It looks like it will be either LSU or GA against Ohio St. It's too bad they didn't play each other this year. I wish the pollsters would ask KY, FL, or Auburn who is the better team. LSU either lost or squeaked by these teams and GA beat them all by double digits. Every other team in the BCS top 10 has lost a game since the last time GA lost a game. The pollsters put GA at number 4 last week knowing they wouldn't play for the SEC title and now they might jump LSU from 7 to 2 in front of GA, it's ridiculous. As I said before, 1 & 2 lose, so it's only fair that 3 & 4(GA) should move up like they would in any other week of the season. I know a lot of teams have a good argument to play in the title game, but so does GA. Maybe all of this mess will finally get the ball rolling to start a playoff in this division of college football. I guess I'll stop rambling on and on just wait and see what happens in a few hours. No matter who is picked a lot of people will be pi$$ed off, probably including me. (GO DAWGS!)

18. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I sympathize with your Dawgs...

However, that being said back in 2001 Nebraska got destroyed by Colorado, didn't go to the Big 12 championship game

With a couple #2 and 3 teams losing the following weeks they played Miami for the NC and got thumped.

It just shouldn't happen.

SudDawg

19. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ill tell you why not KS its the same reason its not Hawaii!!! Neither team has really beaten anybody. If either of them get to play then I say VT needs to schedule weak OOC teams so they can be undefeated, If we had had troy on the Schedule instead of LSU we would be playing for the title. Simple as that. Kansas hasn't even beaten a team that has received a single vote in the polls. Let that sink in. Not a single team!

20. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Very true Craig, very true.............KU makes about as much sense as a team going from 8th to #1 and never playing at game during their meteoric rise. KU doesn't have any 41 point losses on the record either:wink:.............oh well, KU was supposed to be 5-7 according to the experts, schedule must have looked stronger in the pre-season. Here's hoping for an at-large bid:big_smile:. Should be an evening for high emotions.