Natchez Trace Parkway

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Nobody Special, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Anyone ever traveled the parkway from one end to the other? Any interesting stuff along the way?

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    We did it 2 years ago. Ended in Natchez Ms. We were going back in the spring. but it did not work out.
    Pick up a map of the trace and it will show all that is along it. Near where it starts is a nice bridge to look at. Man it had to be hard to build. And toward the end is a Inn from that time. Still has most of the stuff in it. Its on the park and I will sure stop and spend more time there next trip.

Now its finished through Jackson MS so now you don't have to run through town.

Pete

3. JustCats

JustCats Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm originally from Tupelo. Its been a while but I have been from one end to the other. I don't know if it was the fact that I was younger then and just didn't care a lot for the beautiful natural scenery, or the fact that I grew up in the country with the natural scenery and was sorta used to it. Back then I was always in a hurry to go some where and didn't like the 50 mph speed limit. Not sure about now but then it was strictly enforced. I would love to take the time now to make the drive, probably in the fall and really soak it all in. As a matter of fact I'm leaving tomorrow to go to Tupelo for the weekend. My folks still live in the area. I think you would enjoy the trip.

Tony

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I found the whole drive to be interesting, but I guess it really don't take much to interest me. The history of the trace, the sections of it you can walk on, stuff like that I really enjoy.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I like the ideal of taking my time, And acting like an old man. Not in a hurry just taking in the great drive. And theres lots to see if you take the time and enjoy it.
    WE even walked the boardwalk through the swamp north of Jackson Ms and between I-40 and HWY 64 theres part of the old trace you can drive its dirt and gravel Great views and makes you feel like your back in the days of old.
    Also turkeys, Deer and stuff were everywhere.
    Pete

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    It's a nice drive. But, I did it this time of year and it was hotter than blue blazes, humid too. That was about 9 years ago and that part of the country was having a heat wave, lots of days above 100.