Nascimento and San Antonio

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by plumbertom1, Aug 17, 2007.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Monday morning early Ray picked me up at the front gate and then eased his way back down the hill. We made our way to the 118 and then the 405 to the 5. A quick stop at Micky D's for take away breakfast and we were on the road for the ride across the valley to Hwy 46 into Paso Robles. Stopped in town for some comestibles and headed out to Nacimiento resort campground.
    The lake water level was really low and the campgrounds were full so we Made camp on the shoreline close by the launch ramp.
    After some preliminary preparations we took Rays boat out for a look at the lake. A quick run to Dip and Snake Creek arms of the lake showed that all of my best fishing spots were well out of water. We ran back past the marina to the dam end of the lake and trolled the shoreline at the edge of deeper water. eventually we ran across a small boil and managed to pull a three medium white bass from the area. not far from that I caught a fair sized crappie. We also were catching under sized spotted bass every where.
    A quick run back to the camp for some food and then back to the same spot where we caught the whites earlier to try the shallow cove for cats.
    We fished into the night using mackerel, the only result for three hours was one small cat that was released as too small. back to camp for some snooze time.
    In the morning I cooked up some chorizo and egg burritos for breakfast and we hit the water for another attempt to find the whites and maybe a few crappie. We trolled around Dip snake and Las Tablas Creeks for a couple more whites and so many small Spots that I lost count. We couldn't find many actively feeding white bass schools though. We did the same in the afternoon with no change, no whites and lots of small spotted bass. We even caught a couple of keepers that were released.
    Next morning we went out for one more try and caught a couple just around the corner from our camp but still no great bite so we packed up camp and pulled the boat out for the trip over the hill to San Antonio Lake.
    When we pulled in at the gate we paid our day use fee and after a short argument with the girl at the gate got her to honor our launch permit from Nici. that was still valid for the day.
    We put the boat on the water at Harris Creek and made a circuit of the lake around by the dam and up to North Shore, and back toward the marina at Lynch. Just before we got to the marina Ray spotted a bunch of diving birds (Grebes ?) and pulled up on them. They were feeding on a school of shad and it looked like Fish were boiling among them. We set out our trolling rigs and slow trolled through the birds and hooked up right away. Nothing like double hookups in fresh water I boated a small striper about five lbs and Ray boated its twin. we followed the birds for a while with several more strikes and two more fish for a total of four stripers all about the same size and one lost lure. Three stripers for me and the lure was Rays, he was trolling with four lb test and got struck by what was most likely a larger fish that snapped him right off. I also hooked up what was a larger fish but he straightened the hook on the small plug I was using and got off, fun anyway.
    We tried along the same shore line a couple more passes but got no more fish. Back to Harris Creek launch ramp for something to eat and then back out on the water at dark to try for cats. After a couple hours with no hint of a bite we packed it in. I cleaned the fish while Ray got the boat road ready and we headed out. Got to the rest stop on 46 about midnight and decided to bed down. got Up in the morning Hit the road and twenty miles down the road Ray's boat trailer blew a brand new tire so we had the adventure of changing a tire at side of the highway.
    After that was done we got back on the road to lost hills for a stop for food and fuel. The rest of the trip was only a simple ride home.
    I have a couple of photos or the lake from up on the hill that I can not get to resize to post and Ray has the pics of the fish and more lake photos I'm sure he will post soon.

2. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Tom,

Reading that - brought back memorries of some good times were had up this way.

all I remember was a "Houseboat", "Catching Fish", "Good Food" & "Having a good old time"!
    :still_dreaming:
    :0a23::0a22:

Take Care Buddy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"

3. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Thanks Bert. The "Deltalover" trip will be one that I remember for a long time.

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Tom, Thanks for the post about the latest trip...... Your generosity and good cooking (LOL) made the trip......

What tom failed to mention, and you know that he is not short of words, is that I will never again come to his place of domicile. That drive up the side of the mountain, with a fantastic view, "kicked my RV's arse". I took years off my brakes and engine life....... it was only about 1 mile, but oh boy..... I will get a cab for him next time.

The view point at Naci was rather scenic as always, but the lake was down some 45 to 50 feet as they are doing some work on the dam.....

My thoughts were that with the lake down like it was, we should have no problem finding the fish that we came to "CPR and to eat as well.... I was wrong.....you see with all the exposed shore line, there was more room at the marina/campground, and all of he normal spots that I have camped at were taken, and a "million" ski boats were camped along the campgrond near the outhouse/shower......Tom and I dont need all of those things as we are self contained in the RV.

So... with the lake level down, it concentrated the skiers into a smaller area... but we did fine and got on the water early, as well as staying on the water late into the evening.

I imagine that we looked strange as we were "beating the heat" by standing in our lagoon with just our heads sticking out of the water trying to cool off with the mid day heat near 95 degrees.

As Tom mentioned, the "hot spots" that he and I encountered on many other trips to the lake, had all changed. Reports of shad boiling on the surface and wide open bite never really happened......Most of our action was in deep water with the fish suspended or near the surface.

The white bass did not perform as we expected.... we got a crappie or two, and to many small "spots" (bass) to count......not the action that we needed as we wanted to throw some lure to boiling fish....

I did manage to get a "big mouth" channel cat, and let him go to tell his friends that we "ment no harm" to other cats....We made it a short night and retired to the RV and comfort.

We left naci, and went over the hill to San Antonio........ I had not been back to this lake in some 23 years, as I fished the shore with friends and camped as well.......

It was nice to be on this lake once again, and do a "loop" around it as we were looking for shad and birds telling us of the fish below..... We did find some working birds, and trolled through them and the "breaking fish" to start the day off with a "double". I had on 4lb line and Tom had no problem landing his fish on 15lb line......... lost another fish prior to going to the "striper pole" with 65lb power pro... with 15lb leader.....

We fished our last nite with three "sits" for 2 hours, when Tom called for us to quit for the night.......We had to get off the water and head back home as we did not pay to camp the night.

Enclosed are some pics of the camping and small fish that we caught... wish we had more bigger fish to show......

bayrunner ray

5. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Here are some additional photos of the camp out.....

bayrunner ray

6. gilmafam

State:
    California
    some more pics....got to learn how to post more at one time......

Our camp spot was normally under 50 feet of water.... not to many other campers ventured out onto the "tortilla Flats" to get a camp spot....

Tom did make the "treck" up two ramps to get to the store and some more ice for "needs".....He said that he was not going to do that again....It was hot going up there......I told him next time that we would use the boat and just go to the marina..... they have a "swamp cooler" there......

bayrunner ray

7. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Thanks for posting your pictures Ray; totally cool.

Jaime

8. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Ray, great pictures and narrating. looks like a great place. just one suggestion for you if i may. get rid of the ugly cuss holding the fish!!!!!!!! kinda does something to the picture. :wink:
    gary