NASCAR consistent in its Inconsistency

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by tallbump, Aug 13, 2007.

1. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Well, for those of you who watched the race Sunday, I am sure you were excited about the nice little incident with Jaun Pablo and Harvick. I know I was. For those who didn't see it, shame on you!!! :0a13:
    Here's a link to the video just in case http://www.nascar.com/video/cup/2007/08/12/cup.wat.four.nascar/frameset.exclude.html?MostPopular
    Here's the article about what happened. http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlines/cup/08/12/jmontoya.kharvick.watkins.glen/index.html
    I have to say this was one of the most interesting things to happen to NASCAR in the few years I have been a fan.
    Anyway, saw this morning that NASCAR is planning NO penalties for the incident. :0a28:
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVED it, and I think this is what Cup racing needs, and what we fans want. My thing is that they are so quick to throw out penalties for seemingly much less actions, but nothing for this????
    I personally think Harvick should have MAYBE gotten a slap on the wrists for pulling in front of Montoya, and Montoya gotten some kind of Penalty (points, fine) for shoving Harvick, if NASCAR wanted to be consistent in its enforcement, which, as we all know, will NEVER hapen.
    Actaully, up to this point, I thought they were doing good as far as consistency, but, guess not.
    What do you think???:0a36:

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    If nothing else,Harvick should be fined for saying 'kick his a**. That would be consistent. Oh well,that was great! I loved it!!! Nascar should go back the way it once was...Let them bump,fight,wreck each other and RACE!!! :smile2:

3. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I agree, let em race, but that seems not to be the direction that NASCAR has been headed.
    Good point about Harvick's vocabulary!!!

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    That was sooooo funny when that happened but yes Harvick should have fined at least like all the rest. If they have to bleep it out after the fact then fine him. How did you like when the fan came down trying to get Kenseth to sign that hat :crazy::big_smile:

5. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    That was too funny about that fan and Kenseth.
    Only in NASCAR!!!

6. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I got a good laugh out of the fan also. I absolutely don't see any reason not to fine Harvick.

7. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I guess I must have missed something. Did Harvick's comment go on the air, bleeped out or not?
    I only found out about that part while reading the article on Nascar.com this morning.
    I think that fine is BS personally, you can't stick a mic in a guys face after something like that and not expect a certain reaction.
    I think Montoya's actions were totatlly uncalled for, and he should be put in his place. Just my opinion. For the record I am not a Harvick fan, but I think his actions were justified and overall he could have reacted MUCH worse.
    Imagine if that had been Stewart instead.
    But, overall, I still say let em go. That's what racing should be.

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Brian it was bleeped out on ESPN after the race they were playing clips

9. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks, I didn't see that. In my opinion, then, there should be no fine since they knew that was in there when they aired it.
    I still say you got to expect emotion to come through when you interview someone relatively near or during an exciting moment.
    I guess it's just more of NASCAR abandoning their good 'ol boy roots.

10. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Thats what is missed in Nascar today, tempers flaring, shoving, cussing. Got to love it. Ratings might go up a bit now. lol

11. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    That is exactly what I am talking about. Nascar is abandoning the good 'ol boy mentality. :tounge_out:
    Not saying vioulence is the answer, but it sure is entertaining :big_smile:

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

Its all about $$ & whos washing whos back. they have double standards. & isnt it funny how after jr announces he's going to another team that his car keeps breaking down or they find something illegal?? It's all messed up.

13. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, there definitely seems to be a ton of favoritism in Cup.
    I have noticed the recent turn in Jr's "performance" since announcing his move. I am sure it's just a coincidence. Ask Kyle Busch :wink:

14. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    harvicks cussing should get a fine, if na$car wants to be consistent, but don't bet on it.

the little shoving match did not result in blows, and did not rise to the level of penalty status.

15. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I liked that race alot, especially the end if Gordon wouldnt have spun out it would have been a really good race to the finish at least thats how it was playing out.

16. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I have to say that was a much more exciting race then I had expected.
    Who knows how it would have played out?
    Actually I am quite glad that there were no penalties, just shocked.
    Well, I wouldn't mind Juan Pablo getting penalized, but that's just cuz I don't like him.:wink:

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I have no problem with no fines for either.Unfortunately Harvick started shooting his mouth off before he watched the tapes.Even Stewart waits until he sees the tapes,most of the time, unless its Hamlin!!!:smile2:It looked like a couple of little girls out there pushing and shoving.I agree with Stewart,he said "I notice they still had their Hahns devices and helmets on.If you are going to do something take off your helmet and have at it.Otherwise dont waste our time":smile2::eek:oooh::wink:To funny and to true.JPM didn't cause this one,they didnt hurt each other and ass hardly qualifies as a cuss word.Let it go.I think Jeff Gordon should have done a Robby Gordon and drove down to Tony and asked him if he could do burnouts with him.HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.TOUGH way to lose a race,but just shows he is human.At least he didnt try and blame anybody or anything else just himself.JR has had 5 engine failures this year 4 of them prior to the announcement I think.He is driving junk and said his car was junk prior to the start.:smile2:

18. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    It was also aired DURRING the race. It was the after wreck interview with Harvick while they were working on his car. I agree that with a mic stuck in their face its hard for them, but, if Jr got fined for saying "It don't mean _ _ _ _ right now, daddy done won here 10 times!" Then ol Happy should be fined for his verbage as well.

19. hnterrcc1951

hnterrcc1951 New Member

State:
    indiana
    yes they play favs. jeff got fines and probation for shoving kenseth , tony got fined for cussing, double standards!!! but really they should let them go at it!!!

20. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Well, an argument could be made that Montoya was atleast partly at fault. He was clearly slower at restarts and blocking the faster cars whcih caused him to get spun. But, again, racing is racing, and I say let em race!

TDawgNOkIt was also aired DURRING the race. It was the after wreck interview with Harvick while they were working on his car. I agree that with a mic stuck in their face its hard for them, but, if Jr got fined for saying "It don't mean _ _ _ _ right now, daddy done won here 10 times!" Then ol Happy should be fined for his verbage as well.

I still feel there is a difference between something said in an interview than "on track", in or out of the cars. If you are going to film live action, you gotta wxpect stuff like that. An interview is a little differnet, still live, but different.

hnterrcc1951yes they play favs. jeff got fines and probation for shoving kenseth , tony got fined for cussing, double standards!!! but really they should let them go at it!!!
    I forgot about Gordon shoving Kenseth. But didn't actually go down to Kenseth's pit or whatever to do that?

All I know is that both drivers were upset and in the "heat of the moment". Looked to me that Kenseth was farily reserved, despite what he said, and Montoya took it to another level.

Like I have said I don't think this should be a penalized situation, as far as Nascar needing this action, but it does seem rather incosistent.