Name this part please..

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by tbull, Apr 5, 2008.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I am still having fuel problems with the 112 hp Evinrude, even after I did the test on the fuel pump and everything, ran it today and still acting up. I have looked this engine up and down. Anyway I put a different bulb on when I got home, and tried to prime the engine just to make sure this bulb worked and couldnt get any fuel through the bulb, I tried and tried, finally for some reason I saw this little valve on top of the motor, I twisted it and it relieved pressure it sounded like, and I got fuel no problem. I have a manual, but cant identify this part, I was also wondering if this would have something to do with the fuel starvation this motor seems to be suffering from at WOT. Thanks all, if this pic isnt good enough let me know and I will post another, it has a grey cap.:eek:oooh:

Attached Files:

2. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    It looks to be a shrader valve for the fuel pump. They are used in Diesel engines to prime the fuel lines after air gets in.

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I noticed it said schrader on the top, could that prevent the engine from running correctly at all?

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That is called a fuel primer valve and it also servies to winterize a motor as you can put your fogging oil through it insted of pulling the plugs.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It's the fuel primer solenoid, with a shrader valve on the later models for screwing on a small hose to inject fogging oil.

If you hear a click when you push in the key, it's working.

It gets gas from a seporate line and allows it to flow directly to the intake, bypassing the carbs throats, through smaller lines that attach to the rear of each carb.

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I noticed when I unscrewed it, it released pressure and I could hear fuel pouring into the carbs I believe, just so I am clear though, this should have nothing to do with my problem right? And if I have checked the fuel pump, all the lines, the pickup tube in the tank itself, vent, the whole 9, where else should I look? I am flat out stumped here, none of this is making any sense.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    could it be getting air locked? rollo

8. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I thought of vapor lock, and its has gotten vapor lock a couple of times, but why? Its just getting really frustrating, before it would die at WOT, but today it was stalling at low throttle also, and was very hard to start most of the day.:confused2:

9. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It kind of sounds like the pump is sucking air. Do you see any fuel around the motor when you take the cover off? Might be a rubber fuel line starting to let go, is there tie strapes on the hoses at the ends?

10. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Travis
    When you take the cap off, is it just an open hole or dose it have a valve core in it ? If it dose maby it needs to be tightend.

11. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    There is some fuel it seems like around the inside when i take the cover off, I just cant pinpoint where its coming from. All the fuel lines on the motor were secured with zip ties it looks like.

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you are having problems with the other motor doing the same thing and now having the same problem with this new to you motor then it has got to be between the hook up to the motor and the fuel pick up tube in the tank. Get a small portable tank and see if that ios your problem. That and replacing all the fuel lines would have been the first thing I would have done. When you took the out bound line off the fuel pump it should pump a good solid stream in short burst evertime that fuel pump gets a vacume pulse. I normally would have suspested the fuel pump diagphram but you said this was doing this on the other motor. At the fuel connectors there are rubber orings that will go bad and suck air and never show a leak. If there is fuel inside the cowling after running I would susspect a hole in the line or fuel pump.

13. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    If thats the case, couldnt I run a fuel line straight from the tank, to the fuel pump and bypass the fuel hookup, and if that fixes the problem, can you run it like that, or is that fuel hook up a must have?

14. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Is it cutting out at low idle and at high?

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You can bypass the hook ups with no problems. But I have a feeling that it is in the lines going to the tank or inside that tank.

16. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Is is dying at full and ow throttle. What do you mean by inside the tank bubbakat?

17. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Well if you have an alternate tank and hose try it. At least if it does not work that is one scenerio eliminated. I think what bubbakat means is the insie of the tank maybe getting clogged at the inner fitting. Like a sock filter with trash or rust around it.

18. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I pulled the pickup tube and screen inside and all was clear, is there another filter in there?

19. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Is this a portable tank?

20. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    no it is a built in tank