NAME THAT FISH

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by BIG_D, Aug 31, 2008.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i can see it now you guys and gals gona think im dumb but what kinda fish is this was trying to use chicken liver tonight but forget that theas little butts was eating it up faster than i could put it on:angry:

Attached Files:

2. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    :smile2:It is a fresh water drum.They are the pain in the neck that catfishermen have to put up with.Circle hooks and cut bait help but not allways,the good part is they are good to eat.My Ex mother in law was to good to eat catfish, so being as i only fished on the river i created a River Crappie LOL. to this day when i catch one i think of all those crappie she ate because she isnt eating anything out of the river LMAO.Fillet them like a pan fish and fry as normal.They can get real big but the ones around 1 to 2 pounds are the best,not strong at all.

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i looked it up and thout it was a drum but wasent sher and that was my next ? if thay was good to eat ya read my minde well now i can say iv caut 1 lol several actuly iv fished the spot i was in tonight a lot but tonight was first time thay become a problem thanks brother for the info and reps to ya

4. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Its a drum. Were they all that size. The small one can be agrevating but
    the big one put up a good fight

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I just recently caught a 15 lb flathead cat on one of those. Good for cut bait

6. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    They do make great cut bait. I recently caught a 9 pounder and they do get bigger than that. A big one is a great fighter. I know of some folks that like to eat them.

7. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yelp that's a drum. A lot of people consider them trash fish and get upset when they catch them. However I love to catch them. My kids and I were out yesterday and caught 9 of them anywhere from #1-#12. They put up a really good fight and get big. I caught one awhile back that jumped and threw its head just like a bass would.

8. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    yea i must admit i engoyd caching them

9. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    yea there good for bait,i catch the littler ones and throw them on live,cut works good as well.

10. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i wish i had new thay made good cut bait going to the sippi next friday i would have saved a bunch o well i will know next time thanks all for the info what els can i catch them on besides chicken liver thay love that stuff

11. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    You know... I never had any success with drum as bait. They didn't seem bloody and oily enough in comparison to shad and bluegill.