Name tags on trot lines

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by justwannano, Mar 27, 2007.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Iowa DNR says we have to have a name tag with name and address on trot lines and bank poles.
    I've tried several ways to tag mine but nothing that really satisfies me.
    I'm currently toying with the idea of laminating address labels. They are small, and easy to read but I'm not sure if they will take the constant moisture and sunlight.
    So whaddya guys think?

Got a better way? I'm interested.

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Dremel make a vibrating engraver that costs about $16 from any big hardware chain. You can write with them just like using a pen on metal or hard plastic. Any fabrication shop would give you some scrap aluminum and you could make as many as you wanted.
    You could get an Avery label kit for your computer printer and print up your own.
    If you are really cheap (like me) you could take the free name and address labels you get through the mail from people like the Red Cross and stick them on your gear. Cover with a bit of Scotch tape and your good to go...W

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Folks around here just use a permanant marker and write all that on a bleach bottle or such.then tie it to thier line.

5. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    This is how some do it around here but most don't even bother and take a chance on getting caught running their lines.

6. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    around here in SC we get tags from the dnr made of plastic with your info on them see if they can give you something like that

7. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    At Walmart I picked up some soft metal tags that you mark with anything semi sharp and it makes an impression in the metal and I just write my name and address in it and it has stayed 3 years now on jugs and trotlines. On my new swimming foam jugs I just write on the foam with a permanent marker.
    Bill

8. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I engrave info on brass tags from a trophy shop. They last forever.

9. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    we write our name and address on index cards and insert them in clear soda bottles and them tie them on. They are also smaller to see and there always seem soda bottles floating around and then line/fish stealers are less likely to mess with them.

10. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I cut square pieces off of a bleach bottle and use a marker. Costs almost nothing. In a pinch I have cut a soda can into a square and crimped the edges and wrote on the silver part with a marker. I even asked the game warden about it and he said it was perfect, easy to see. Said that was the most important thing. If they see no tag they cut them right then and there.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Ya beat me to the soda can idea! Aluminum isn't going to rust, and you can write on it with a ball point pen or nail; no need for an engraver.

Or, you can cut some tags from a gallon milk jug and write your info on with a sharpie laundry marker.

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
  13. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I use PVC pipe for my bank lines, and write my name and address right on the pole with a permanent marker.

14. brent

brent New Member

State:
    texas
    got a guy here in texas that can make these tags on the jugs. dry erase the date on the back if you need it. they are cheap.

Attached Files:

15. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
  16. texasnitehunter

texasnitehunter New Member

State:
    NE Texas
    I also use a permanent marker and pieces of plastic cut from a milk or bleach jug. Works great and it's cheap.