Name My New Business

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by gofish, Mar 9, 2006.

1. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I need some input. I'm going to start a candy/gum vending business in the near future and I need a name for it. Anyone have any ideas?

The one I like the best right now is "Ware's the Candy?" Joe Ware.....get it? :p

Thanks for any help!!

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds good and good luck.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    How about Mississippi sweets

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    What's in a name? A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet.- Romeo and Juliet

Be careful, that's a tough business. It sounds easy but I have looked into them, and I have had friends fail at it. Not trying to dissuade you or anything else, just want you to realize that the only way to fast wealth is the lottery and or a dead wealthy relative that liked you. ;)

5. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    "Coins for Cavities" or "Ware else ya gonna get it" ;)
    Good luck Bro, I hope ya do very well at it.

6. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    what about "candy warehouse" or "snack warehouse"

7. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Candyshack..........

8. notimetofish

notimetofish New Member

State:
    van buren,arkansas
    " joe's got it " or " joe know's ware it's at" or " joe's sweet juke" sorry that last one is the arkansas in me lol!!!!

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    aa candy or aaa candy may put you first in the phone book

10. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to be filing the paperwork Monday and have to have some sort of name.

Thanks also for the words of encouragement and caution. I guess I should have made it clear that this is a 'play money' venture. I'm starting out small and whatever profit I make will be fun money. I am anticipating it taking about six months to pay off the initial investment and then making somewhere in the neighborhood of $2-300 a month. Not enough to make me want to quit my job or anything.

I look at it as a passive business. The machines just sit there, there is very little maintenance involved, and the profit potential is huge! I figure on spending an hour or so a week, on average, tending to my machines. I've been thinking about doing this for a couple of years and have been doing some research into it. The tax collector and licensing people haven't been much help (imagine that) but I think I have a pretty good grasp of what it will take to get started. Now it's just a matter of going through the motions.

If anyone has any experience with this business, please please chime in and give me some pointers. Again, I'm not looking to get rich or anything. I look at it this way: Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thanks again for the suggestions and tips. Keep 'em coming!

11. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    wish you the best of luck Joe. If you can get it where you have to put in an extra hour or so a week to pay for your fishing excursion, than that's great! I try to work some on the side to finance my fun too. Again, good luck!

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I apologize for the comments I made earlier. I give you props for trying something new for yourself. Hopefully it's a step to independence and bigger and better things. Are you going to place them yourself or pay for a placer? Are these full size machines or the desktop ones? Is it one of the ones with a charity sticker? hey, I went out and bought a semi. Most people look at me and just shake their head :rolleyes:

13. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    "Candy that tastes like stinkbait smells"
    "Shad candy"

Maybe not such a good idea. Nevermind. LMAO

Good luck with the new adventure.

14. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    How about "Sweet Wares"?

15. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS

All of my family likes that one! We may have a winner....

I apologize for the comments I made earlier. I give you props for trying something new for yourself. Hopefully it's a step to independence and bigger and better things. Are you going to place them yourself or pay for a placer? Are these full size machines or the desktop ones? Is it one of the ones with a charity sticker? hey, I went out and bought a semi. Most people look at me and just shake their head

No apologies needed. I need to hear both sides of the story. I realize that when things sound too good to be true, they probably are. I need to hear the negative as well as positive.

I am looking at four 4-head machines and one 8-head machine to start off with. They are on stands and take up the same amount of room as a single head machine. I have secured four places to put them and possibly two at one of the locations. I really haven't tried to find many places because I really don't have the start-up money to buy more than five or six machines of that size. I think that I'd reach a point of diminishing returns if I went with less than 3 head machines and they are more bulky than the 4-headers that I'm looking at. I don't want to spend all of my free time running all over town working after work. Been there done that.

I've read about the charity machines and I think that's a great idea but that's not what I have in mind. I'm going solo. I've made an arrangement with the owner of one of the proposed establishments and he gets 20%. The other places are just giving me space. That may change at one location when it actually comes to be. We'll see.

My brother in law recently bought a truck too. A triple axle dump truck. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $80K. I just shook my head too...LOL He's doing well with it though and has grand visions of four or five more in the future. Hey, if it works for you, go for it!

Like I said earlier, I'm not trying to get rich or find a new occupation. I'm just dipping my feet into something that can and does make money with little input after the start-up. I hope it works out the way I have envisioned.

16. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I've got dreams of starting my own business someday. Would like to try contract GIS/GPS work, but I figure I better keep working right now. Hope it works out for you.

17. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Sweet Treats Vending,

Sweet Treats for Sweet Teeth,

Ware's Candy & Gum Vending,

Delectable Sweets Candy & gum

Tasty Treats

Start up as an LLC,i'd think you'd do better selling to stores but that wouild be more a full time thing,and imagine most stores already have a supplier for their candy and gum.

Whatever yas decide,be sure to give yerself a payroll,even 5,000-10,000 a year.Make sure ya show something,the IRS is looking hard at businesses who do not report a payroll!
    1st year or 2 i don't believe ya need to show a profit,and most business report a loss,but i would be sure to pay myself something to keep the IRS from looking too hard at me.
    Talk with an experienced accountant,who can answere yer questions!

Lipsmackin' Tongue Ticklin' Candy & Gum

18. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Joe, I wish you all the good bussiness in the world. I always wished I would tried some bussiness venture but I was always too chicken.

19. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    Good luck CandyMan:) Don't overspend jsut because you are doing good at first.Sometimes things slow down and the money is not coming in like it use to.Plan for the future and you should be ok;)

20. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Thanks to all for the well-wishes! The paperwork goes in today and I will be purchasing my first machines today. I went with topjimmy's suggestion and named my business Sweet Wares. Now, my friends think that's hilarious (and they've created some variations) but I'll be laughing all the way to the bank. :cross:

I'm hoping to be up and running by the first of April. Gotta find a place to hide the candy from my two daughters! :)

Anyone have any idea how long it takes to get a tax ID number?

One other thing I'm trying to figure out is what to put in the machines. I've decided to go with several 8-head machines instead of the 4-head machines I was looking at. I need eight flavors to load the machines. These are my initial thoughts but I'm definitely open to suggestions:

1" Gum balls
    Chicklets or small gum balls
    1" Toy capsules of some sort (bouncy balls, rings, stickers, etc)
    Runts
    M&Ms
    Peanut M&Ms
    Skittles
    Cashews

One for the King:

Some friends of mine, just the other night,
    went to hear this cool cat blow.
    The say he sang so good that the roof fell in,
    and they didn't even stop the show.
    They don't remember the place, but they remember the face,
    and now everybody wanna go.
    Chorus:
    Top Jimmy cooks, Top Jimmy swings.
    He's got the look. Top Jimmy, he's the king.
    Jimmy on the television, famous people laughing with him,
    Jimmy on the news at five.
    Jimmy on the radio and even on the video,
    the baddest cat alive.
    Driving all the women crazy, only want Jimmy-baby,
    love it when he rolls his eyes.
    chorus
    (guitar solo)
    Juke-joint Jimmy is the latest thing,
    he's got the sound that everybody digs.
    And the joint been jumpin' when the band been pumpin'
    and you know they're playing crazy gigs.
    Well you ain't been living till you've seen the living thing,
    Top Jimmy and his Rhythm Pigs
    chorus

Thanks topjimmy! :rock-big: