NA$CAR = thieves

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by Phil Washburn, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    why, when biffle ran out of gas and finished 3 or 4 did nascar give him the win? sure the field was frozen by the yellow, but that doesn't mean positions cannot change. nascar rules say that you have to maintain the same speed as the pace car. biffle failed to do that when he ran out of fuel. the cars behind him had to maintain that pace, which means biffle couldn't win.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I agree 100% with you Phil. I guess Na$car's reason will be that the race was already over due to darkness. Remember Robby Gordon & Marcos Ambrose in the Bu$ch race? They failed to maintain position and didn't get it back...Or the win.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I agree Phil,but it was a screwy race to start with.You know the 20 wanted the race to end after the first BIG storm.Quite frankly NASCAR didnt have its best foot forward.Gordon probably said it best though,he didnt want Bowyer to win either due to the points,but felt he had won the race.:smile2:

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I think with it finishing under caution or even the wreck that caused the caution the field is positioned by the last scoring loop it passed.
    Under caution I dont see where it would matter what place you actually crossed the line because of the scoring loop. The field is frozen when the yellow comes out. The loop determines the positions.
    Maybe before the days of the scoring loop he shouldn't have won and probally shouldn't have won yesterday.

Like everything else with the sport, its changed.

5. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Like everything else with the sport, its changed.

You've got that right,Mark! As far as I'm concerned,most of the changes are not for the best either. I'm getting more discussed with Nascar with every passing day. If they keep going in the direction their going in now, I believe they are going to be losing alot of fans,myself included!

6. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Zalma Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    If the race had stayed green, Biffle would have run out of gas with 2 to go, and would have come in about 30th.

Not bashing Biffle, as he did the best he could and it showed, BUT he was out of gas, didn't maintain speed with the pace car, and was rightly passed before crossing the line. Under yellow, the "winner" is the first car on the final lap as the finish line is crossed. If he had a flat, would everyone have waited on him -No. What is the difference

7. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    Why do you think Biffle drove into the grass to get stuck. So he could say(and he did) "I had plenty of gas, and I was just going to do some donuts in the grass". Yah! Right!

Soon Nascar will franchise teams. It is all about the money. They are willing to loose the old diehard southern fan for the overall success of Nascar. Why do the high prestige F1 drivers come to Nascar. THE MONEY!!! Weather we like it or not the sponsers drive Nascar and their dollars are more important then you or I buying a ticket or watching it on TV. If we say no and stop there are two more to take our place. All other forms, Cart, IRL and F1 etc... have ruined their base and Nascar keeps growing. So you or I may not like it but what we want does not matter.

8. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have to agree; it was a screwy race from the beginning. I certainly don't understand the finish either; especially if some of the biggest drivers in the sport all share the same opinion as to who won.
    I just wish it could go back a few years when you didn't have to hear THE CHASE at each & every race from each & every driver!!!Blah blah blah!!! From the drop of the green flag at race one, through every race, every crash, every post race interview....on & on! And it's not so much the drivers; it's the pit reporters..."Well, Jr, how does this effect your chance in the CHASE?" Why can't we just let them talk about racing!! Real racing!!!! You know, "Well, he got into me a few laps ago, so when I had the chance, I let him have it!" That kind of stuff. Of course, Tony Stewart still gives it to them straight....whether you should hear it or not!!
    Anyway.....enough from me!

9. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well, Jr, how does this effect your chance in the CHASE?"

I guess I didn't realize Jr. was in the Chase.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    One of the final blows for me as one of the older fans was the COT.
    Its not the car itself I dont like. Its the first step in doing away with the manufacturers and the manufacturers championship.

This is just the beginning. It will wind up with NASCAR making a decision on one engine maker for all of the cars whether it be GM, Ford, Dodge, or Toyota. Just like what we always called Charlotte motor speedway is now called Lowes motor speedway. He who has the deepest pockets will supply the engines.
    Its not about the racing anymore. The racing part is a neccesary evil to fuel the WWF antics of the sport which in turn is what the younger generations are interested in.
    Kyle Petty said something Sunday on the radio in an interview during the second rain delay that makes my point. He was asked had he and Denny Hamlin worked things out over the week . Kyle may not be much of a racer but he is one of the last bastions of stock car racing that is blunt in comment 99% of the time.
    He replied, "thats nobody's business but me and Hamlin's".
    In other words, this is supposed to be racing, not the WWF.

The COT's "purpose" was to make a safer car and better racing by reducing down force.
    All that had to be done was take away that stupid front valance that has grown year after year into something that was nowhere near resembling a stock car.
    Make em run a stock front end like they did until the 90's. In the 80's they ran chrome bumpers just like the car you bought on Monday.
    The Chevies and the Buicks of the 80's had the same chrome bumper and the same simple plastic air dam hanging behind and beneath it to direct air flow that my 79 El Camino had and they ran 200+ MPH at Daytona and Talledega with it. It was also good enough to run Bristol with.
    Its of my opinion that NASCAR has lead the teams away from the "stock" look in preperation for the snowball they have started rolling with the COT.

With the car of tomorrow the role of the crew chief is lessened. There was a day when the brilliance of a crew chief could make a difference down to the length of the lugnuts on the super speedways.

Money has ruined the actual sport of every sport its taken root in.
    28 years ago when Richard petty won a race at Rockingham and took home a whopping 35,000 in winnings my dad said, "money will eventually ruin the sport".
    He was right. It drove out the J.D. McDuffey's and the Dave Marcus'.
    The actual end came with the demise of the last independent and the normalcy of 3 and 4 car teams.

11. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    One of the final blows for me as one of the older fans was the COT.

Hey Mark,
    You think you're one of the older fans? If you think you're one of the older fans,what does that make me,Ancient? I believe I have you by about 23 yrs.,you're still a pup!lol

Glenn

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If its any consolation I was listening to races on the radio way back in the early seventies on Sundays while me and dad were floating around a pond in a 10' jon boat. The only way to watch a race was to go to it.

We eventually got permanent VIP seating indoors at Dover and Rockingham for 4 races a year in the late 70's and kept them through the mid to late 80's so I atleast got in on the tailend of the stock car racing era when it was man and machine from the green to the checker.
    It's probally what has ruined my positive outlook on the sport.
    I got to see firsthand what it was and now what it is. Its the difference inbetween black and white.

13. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    At least they didn't let Stewart win with the last rain delay. Crazy race for sure.

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Troy I watched Inside Nextel Cup last night and Waltrip said he bet it would have been different if Jr had been leading the race!!!!!:big_smile::wink::eek:oooh:Waltrip loves to pull NASCARS chain.:big_smile:No way NASCAR was not going to re start that race.If it finished there all the chasers would have been screwed royal and they didnt want that to happen.Also one good point that came out in the post race shows is that it was dark and the drivers couldnt see each other at the finish.Once the TV cameras open their apertures wide open it looked a lot lighter than it actually was.Several of the drivers said they had no problem with it finishing as it did because they flat couldnt see much particularly at 190mph and these were not chasers that said it.Just write it off as a screwy deal because of weather,darkness and just plain bad luck.Thats racing.:big_smile:

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I can see it now, marketing dollars will move Nascar to franchising very soon. Good ole fashion stock car racing action will be replaced with drama if it hasnt already. See the new titles: Roush-Fenway, Gillette-Evernham and DEI-Ginn, who's next? I see the field expanding to 44 cars with 10 franchise owners having 4 teams each competing for the cup.

16. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    I wish they would just go ahead and change the name of the series

I haven't been watching/keeping up with NASCAR as long as most of you guys. But I've seen a huge change in just the past 12 years. Personally, I don't like it. Subsequently, I don't watch it as much as I used to, if at all. Let's take NASCAR back to it's roots, 13 laps around Linville Gorge and Grandfather Mountain with 30 gallons of moon shine in the trunk. I'd watch that. Or throw the rule book out the window for the all star race. Let the crew chiefs see how fast of a car they can make to bring to the track. I'd watch that. How about throwing the point system out all together, and jack up the purses for winning a race? $2.5 million for first $75,000 for second. *Then* we'd see some racing. I'd watch that.

Face it though, NASCAR could care less about the old school fan right now. They're betting that every ticked off fan that leaves they'll replace them with another fan who has more $$$ in another market. Will it work? Sure, so far it seems to be working. Will it last another 60 years? Hard to tell right now. To me, this is the big question though; If their bubble bursts and they have to go back to the fans they alienated before, will you watch NASCAR again?

If you think it's bad now, wait until they announce next year's "Chase" format. A two car chase for the chapionship, points don't matter, Earnhart Jr wil automatically be in and he'll have to race against the pace car.

Jon

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I bet Kansas has lights next year!:smile2:

18. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    that would be awsome if they'd do away w/points and jack the purse up for won races..you'd definately see more REAl racing..but it'll never happen.

19. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Rockingham is on the auction block. Lets get together and buy it and start it all over again. Run watch you brung kinda thing. Then we can set the rules and make who we want to win. The track and 240 acres are said to probably go for pennies on the dollar of what is WAS worth.

20. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...The actual end came with the demise of the last independent and the normalcy of 3 and 4 car teams..."

Ya, right around the corner NASCAR will disappear before our eyes.

Heck, lets see, Jr. has just signed the largest sponsorship deal in sports history, Bank Of America is paying out over $6,500,000 at the upcoming Charlotte race, and more and more open wheel driving devas are flocking to the sport, yup...things are bad. :roll_eyes:

Better enjoy it while you can....