NA$CAR Qualifying

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by Phil Washburn, May 12, 2007.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    ok, i have had it up to here with this 35 guaranteed spots, plus a champions provisional.
    all 43 spots should be filled by the fastest 43 times. PERIOD!

i am sitting here looking at the lineup at darlington and it really sucks. mayfield had the 29th fastest time and didn't make the field. i am certainly no mikey waltrip fan, but he had the 33rd fastest time and didn't make the show. montoya and gilliland, 2 ROOKIES, had the 48th and 49th times...THE 2 SLOWEST CARS...AND THEY BOTH MAKE THE FIELD?????:angry:

Waltrip has been racing in na$car long enough to pay his dues. no way two rookies with slower times should make the field ahead of him. same with mayfield and the other drivers that didn't make it.

i am sickened by na$cars money bias. that is all it is.

all past champions have also paid their dues. if a past champion isn't fast enough to make the field then they should be tacked on to the back...start 44 or 45 cars...plenty of room on the track for them.

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Very true but as long as the France family is running things it will be there way or no way, right or wrong. It's sorta like restictor plates, they want the cars all bunched up so people can watch the wrecks, knowing that at any race there will be one or two cars that hit the setup just right and will be heads and tails above the rest. Another thing is the car of tomarrow (crap) if they was all suppose to be the same then why do we have all the car makes for us to choose from. They have done wonderful things for the sport but there ideas have been past in time. Look at the points system, what a bunch of crap, every other style of motor sports has a better system and rewards the WINNERS for doing good instead of the 2nd an 3rd and so on finishers. I guess I'll get off my soap box now,

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Im not sure I understand Phil, if they qualify under the 35 why are they not in the Race. I know its gotta be something simple since it is NASCAR :lol:, did he have to qualify in the top 20 or something to get into the race.

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i'll try to explain in as few words as possible, since i can't type.

there were 49 qualifiers. there are 35 guaranteed spots because of owner points. that left 14 drivers to vie for 8 spots. there were 6 that failed to make the race.

now a good many of the top 35 in points had weak runs. outqualifying someone that is guaranteed a spot does you no good - they are already in the field. if you are outside the top 35 then you have to outqualify the other13 drivers in the same boat as you. many of the top 35 had poor runs. altho the ones outside that clique had good runs, there was only room for 8 of them.

that means that some pretty decent cars are going home because some slow cars are guaranteed a start....hope that is good enough - to state it very clearly would require twice as much typing:confused2:

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    So basicly what your saying is that any of the cars that are not in the top 35 wouldnt have started better than 36? If I hear you right thats what your saying, no matter what the top 35 will always start in the top 35. Even if waltrip qualified with a lap speed to equal 15th if all the rest of the "non" top 35 qualified in the top 14 they would still start at the 36th position?

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    not quite. the top 35 points are guaranteed starting spots...not necessarily the top 35 starting spots.

that leaves 8 spots open for challenge..those 8 are usually sprinkled thru the field because of time, not necessarily at the back of the field

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    simply by the discussion we are having it is easy to that this convoluted qualifying arrangement should be scrapped.

after all it is a RACE...the fastest cars should be the ones that race

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    You got that right Phil or should I say you got that wrong LOL:big_smile:

9. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    but i think they are to many cars on the track, when the last 10 races start there should only be 30 cars on the track.

10. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Gary, the lineup is set by qualifying speed. so, from the polesitter to 43rd they are lined up from fastest to slowest.

but remember, there are 35 cars that get in the field regardless of their qualifying speed. they could even crash in qualifying and post no speed yet make the race.

someone outside of the top 35 in points could sit on the pole, and the points leader could start last.