N GA CATS ?

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by jpb, Feb 10, 2008.

1. jpb

jpb New Member

State:
    NE Marietta
    ANY BODY ELSE FISHING UP THIS WAY ? IVE DONE OK ON THE COOSA, UPPER ETOWAH ,AND ALLATOONA.LOOKING FOR OTHER SPOTS.

2. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Welcome to the BOC Jeff. I fish in N. GA regularly, mostly the Oostanaula and Coosa Rivers and I've fished Allatoona a little. The Coosa is the best spot in N. GA for a big cat, but if you want the best shot at a trophy fish you need to go across the St. line to around Chattanooga, TN. Lakes Chickamauga and Nickajack on the TN River have some monster blue cats in there. Good luck fishin'.

3. jpb

jpb New Member

State:
    NE Marietta
    HOW DO YOU PUT IN OOSTANAULA? I VE ONLY SEEN THE 140 BOAT RAMP ON A MAP. I HAVE A 15 GHEENOE WITH A 4 HP. HOW WOULD THAT DO ?

4. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I live by the Oostanaula, but yes, there's the 140 ramp and a ramp in downtown Rome at Heritage Park where the Oostanaula and Etowah Rivers come together to form the Coosa. Your boat sounds okay, but I would use caution during the summertime low-flow period. The Oostanaula is definitely a small boat river and has a lot of shoals, much like the Etowah.

5. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Also, there is a new ramp on the lower Etowah at the Hwy. 1 loop just SE of Rome, if you don't already know about it.

6. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    hey bumper, do you know if there is anywhere near chattanooga to catch skippy's?

7. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Yes, usually from late spring thru summer until early fall you can catch them right below Chickamauga Dam right at Chattanooga. There a little harder to come by when the water is colder.

8. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    thanks for the info, i got a freezer full after my trip to the cumberland. probably sometime this summer i will need some more...

9. jpb

jpb New Member

State:
    NE Marietta
    THANKS GUYS. I HADN T HEARD ABOUT THE NEW RAMP ON THE ETOWAH. IS IT MUCH CLOSER THAN THE LOCK AND DAM FROM CARTERSVILLE? IS IT BETTER TO GO UPRIVER AT 140? MAN O MAN I M GLAD I FOUND THIS SITE!

10. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    The new Etowah ramp is definitely closer to Cartersville. You go on Hwy. 411 towards Rome, take a right at the Hwy. 1 loop and the ramp is at the bridge. You have to go thru the park to get down there. I'm not real familiar with the Oostanaula around 140, I live closer to Calhoun and fish there mostly.

11. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    Hey, Bumper
    What is the name of the park that you have to enter to find the ramp? If you get on the 1 from the 411, which side of the road is it on? Who maintains it? Is it local, Army Corps, state?

12. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Can't remember the name of the park, but it's on the right side of the road after you cross the bridge over the Etowah on Hwy. 1 loop. I believe it is a local park maintained by Floyd Co.

13. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    I took a ride out there and that is a pretty neat ramp. Unfortunately, when I was there the water was down to the end of the ramp. It's OK for a cartopper but you wouldn't be able to launch a trailer mounted boat. Thanks for the info.