N.E. Cape Fear question..

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by mhbomber, May 16, 2008.

1. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I have a 16 ft fiberglass boat with a 50 hp motor. It does not tend to handle wakes very well. Are conditions generally calm out there or does it tend to be rough? Is it a tough place to navigate with lots of shallow areas and stumps?

Thanks

2. DPDE17

DPDE17 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The NE Cape Fear is a great place for a small boat. The only time that I have seen it remotely rough is when the wind is over 20mph. I have not encountered alot of stumps. However, there are alot of logs that float at or just below the surface, so if you are running fast you need to keep a good watch. Most people on the river are very nice a will slow to almost no wake to pass you if they see you fishing but there is the occasional bass fisherman with the 500 hp engine that feels the need to run the river at 75 mph. I mainly fish the river north of hwy 210 to the state ramp holly shelter. If you fish around there, you must check out Lanes Ferry bait and grill. They have excellent BBQ Thurs-Sat for lunch. They also have a ramp but you have to pay to put in. I hope this helps.

John

3. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    about how deep is the river?

4. 23mako

23mako New Member

State:
    north carolina
    If your fishing the river more towards southern Duplin you should be alright. Up near Albertson in northern Duplin it's more like a small creek/collection of swamps.

tight lines.