N. E. Cape Fear cats question?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by DPDE17, May 8, 2008.

1. DPDE17

DPDE17 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I went fishing for bluegills yesterday and around 11am I saw some fish hitting the top of the water. I figured they were bass or something and when I got closer noticed they were big catfish. I tried to find out what they were hitting but could not see anything. I guess it could have been small bugs but the cats all looked to be 10-20 lbs. I hung in to a couple good ones but didnt bring any home. Anybody know what the cats were hitting on top of the water? I have never seen them do that consistently any where except at a farm pond when being fed. Also, the bluefish are hitting good at new river inlet and got a couple spanish macks about a mile off shore last weekend.

stay safe

John

2. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    i have seen them feed on shad like that, especially when they move up to shallower water

3. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Did you notice it there were any bugs on top of the water? My guess is they might have been eating Mayflies.

4. DPDE17

DPDE17 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I looked hard to see if I could spot any bugs and did not notice any. They sure could have been eating them but the size of the fish was alot bigger than I figured would be eating bugs. Plus, there were several different fish doing it all around.

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    It could have been bugs. I remember back in the 90's there was a big cicada hatch at High Rock and everything from stripers to catfish were up on the banks eating them. Me and my dad were fishing with crickets and caught cats up to around 15lbs and had several immediately break the line and had a couple straighten the hook out and that was just on crickets.

6. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    maybe they were eating the fish that were eating the bugs ;-)

7. Arojekt

Arojekt New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Yesterday, we were at Bass Lake in Holly Springs. As soon as the light disappeared behind the trees, they did the exact same thing. It was in fairly deep water though. As soon as we saw them hitting the surface and realized that they were not bass, every man on the fishing dock, the deck, and the shore cast out about 3 inches from one another in the middle of the huge group of fish.

8. 23mako

23mako New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Could there have been a nest of catalpa worms in a tree nearby?