N. California Trout fishing questions

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by AllenM, Jul 28, 2006.

1. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I ain't caught a trout since I was a kid, but this past week I've been up around Whiskeytown Lake and the mouth of Clear Creek where it empties into the lake at the North end, as well as the Sacramento River as it runs through Redding, trying to fish for them for the first time in over 20 years... I've seen a few trout jumping at dusk in the Sac, and seen schools of trout that exceed 200 fish in Clear Creek, some over 20 inches long, along with the landlocked salmon of that area that were over 2 foot long themselves, but I've not been able to get a single fish hooked with the sole exception of one lousy bass that decided to taste a red and white tube I was casting on my fly rod at the inlet of a boat ramp lagoon off the Sac!! I've tried various dry and wet flies, to include pheasant tailed flash backs, and on the ultralight I've run spinners, krill flavored powerbait, red salmon eggs, various colored soft baits, and tried redworms but the dang things were so small I couldn't get them on a hook! Got RARE "nibbles" on the eggs, but they spat them out before I could set the hook. Swam up on a lot of the other stuff but broke off andswam away when they got within 6 inches of the bait or lure. Gonna try corn, bread, andnightcrawlers next time I'm up there, and what ever anyone else can suggest. I spent almost as week trying for these dudes while camping out in the area, and I'm REALLY frustrated. The only thing I could think of to explain this was that maybe they are off feed for spawning or something?? Anyone know if they do this? I saw a LOT of fry in the water which was what made me wonder about this. Do trout lay eggs or give live birth?? The rangers in the area said they SHOULD be biting pretty good, so what's the deal??

Anyhow, I'd appriciate any info anyone can offer and answers to these questions. Thanks.

2. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Well, the nightcrawlers worked once I presentedtyhem right and I caught a MESS of german brown trout!

Now how in the #$%%^!! do I clean 'em?!? I tried a search before asking but have to wait 60 secs before each one and it seems that I'm just not using the right key words... They are about 10 times more slippery than any bass I've ever cleaned and I'm not even sure if they need to be scaled or not like bass??

I'd GREATLY apriciate a walk through on cleaning and filleting them so I don't waste my catch. Got the cooking 'em down... gonna bread em with some seasoning and fry 'em up in butter and put a little lemon juice on the table for use as desired.

Thanks.

3. Fishin Dash

Fishin Dash New Member

State:
    CALI
    they are more slippery because trout have a protective skin coating on their skin, actually when u do catch them and you plan to release them, try your best not to handle them too much, the best thing is to have a damp rag with you and use that to handle them.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Allen they do not have scales the way I clean them is take slice em open remove the guts then I cut the heads off my wife dont like the fish watching her when she cooks em. Also if they are a bit to slippery to hold while cleaning them wash them first. Thier slimeyness has caused my wife to lose a nice 6 pound bow one day never heard her cusss till the day was it funny.

5. CatfishSeeker

CatfishSeeker New Member

State:
    California
    I went fishing a few weeks ago and caught some trout. I was new to the cleaning part too and my friend taught me how to do it. I'll try and walk ya through it.

1. To get around the slipperyness of the fish, put your fingers around the head and your thumb againt the gill plate with the gill open. It gives you a good hold on the fish

2. Take the back of your filet knife and scrape all the scales off the fish until it is no longer shiny(on both sides). This way when you cook bbq them( or however you choose to cook them) the scales wont be in there.

3. Take the end of your filet knife and stick it in the anus of the fish. Slice all the way up the belly til about the small fins on the side.

4. Remove all the guts with your thumb. There should be a dark sac looking thing, take the tip of your knife and slit the sac. Don't cut too deep. Use your thumb and scrape out the dark sac.

5. Cut off the head

6. Cut off the small fins on the side. Now you have a clean fish.

Hope this helps you out. I'm sorry if the reply is slow but I just found the post. Good luck with cleaning and catching more trout.

Seeker

6. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    hi, allen.

i can't help you with the filets, but i can tell you that trout don't need to be scaled. the scales are so tiny and with most cooking methods, the skin just slides right off anyway.

i found this link that shows pretty much the same method i use. i hope it helps.

http://www.2crows.net/h/cln/

catching native fish can be tough. all of the trout i catch are newly stocked. they all like a natural drift to the bait. they aren't as smart as cats and carp, but they have great eyesight. too heavy a line or large hooks and weights will spook them every time. also, if the water's warm or they see too much activity out of the water, they don't tend to take anything.

congrats on your catch and good luck to you.

7. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    allen, found this link to a site that shows a method of fileting a trout. i haven't used it, but it looks like all you need is a really sharp knife. hope it helps

http://www.boois.com/cooktrout.htm