Myths, legends and flat out lies

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by ponykilr, Mar 22, 2006.

1. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    hey all, this may have been done before, but what are you favorite catfishing (or just fishing in general) myths. we in n.c. seem to have been told a lot of mis-information when we were younger.

my favorite was when i was told by my neighbor that catfish had stingers in the ends of their whiskers and could move them around like little arms and get you if you were not careful.

then there's the divers and the dam story(insert local area)

let em rip.......

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i like the one about spitting on your bait. fish arent bitting because you forgot to spit on your hook.

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    A guy we fished with as kids used to spit in the first fish's butt. Said it brought good luck.

The one about dams, I've heard from every lake in SC.

4. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    It seems like everywhere I go I hear those monster catfish at the dam stories. Even people who dont even catfish seem to know that one. I was getting gas a couple months ago and a guy in the gas station told me that one. I was like yeah they get pretty big and I left with a smerk on my face. I really dont see catfish getting much over 150lbs but I guess its possible if theres no one fishing for them. I know a lot of the dams on the mississipi back home, you cant get within 1000 feet of the dam with a boat or they will arrest you, so I guess its possible for a fish with 20-30yrs of no fishing pressure and an unlimited supply of food to get that big. I guess no one will ever know unless they put a huge net that goes all the way to the bottom, all the way across the river and then let the river flow till its dry and see exactly whats down there. It will never happen though, maybe we'll never know.

5. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    yea we got that volts wagon size catfish story when the silver bridge fell in point pleasant wv.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Same here, we got the old Big Catfish at Dams stories around here.....everywhere I go around here the (what I call morons) are talking about that story....lol:rolleyes:

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    So you heard about the monster cat of Lake Gaston dam too?
    I thought that was a well kept secret.

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I bet those big monsters are "Blue Channels". LOL

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    naa, It's the blue headed flat channel. Atleast thats what I was told.

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah I've heard of it alright, everywhere I go I hear it....LOL

But the truth is.....THERE ARE NO FISH BELOW THE DAM!!!!!!

11. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I grew up in Pa. and fished the Ohio river.

I heard this story 100's of times.

divers went down to examine the bridge piers and a flathead suposedly sucked in one of the divers..

The fact is a diver did go down and not come up but no one no's what happened... they never did find the divers body.

12. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I cannot tell you how many times I have heard the one about the divers who said they would never go back down on that dam to check it or fix something. I mean, I guess they think people are that stupid or gullable, and I guess some people are. "A CATFISH AS BIG AS A VOLKSWAGON BEETLE". All the way from Alabama to S.C. to Tenn., Ga., and even the small lakes around my house here in N.C. I wonder why they don't take a picture of it. I know they have to have a camera of some sort to take pictures of the dam if there is a problem with it so someone can look over the pictures to correct the problem. Oh, I know why there aren't any pictures, "THEY WERE SO STARTLED THAT ALL THEY WANTED TO DO WAS GET OUT OF THERE. THEY WEREN'T GOING TO TAKE ANY CHANCES AFTER SEEING A FISH THAT BIG". The cat fish whisker sting is another good one. Several of the people I have taken fishing with me refused to touch the fish until I actually showed them that there whiskers would not sting you, but the dorsal fin and the pectoral fins are a different thing. I guess the biggest myth of all is the one I hear that "THERES ENOUGH FISH FOR EVERYBODY. THIS LAKE WILL NEVER BE OVER FISHED. I'M GOING TO KEEP MY FAIR SHARE BECAUSE I KNOW EVERYONE ELSE IS DOING IT. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Please everyone, practice catch and release. Let the big ones go so they can make the little fish or so someone else can catch that monster and it can make there day just like it did mine.

13. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Funny thing. I know two divers for the DNR here in SC and they both say they see fish but nothing anywhere near that size. They dive all over the state, even Santee so if they were anywhere in this state I would say that is where they would be.

14. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    How many times have you had a nice bite or hard pull down

the fish never runs but when you go to reel your line in to check your bait ...your in a snag....well are you or has a big old fish just engulfed your bait.....:0a14:

15. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have thought about that before and left the pole sit sometimes for like 20-30 minutes, if the clicker isnt making noise after that long then its a snag. To this day none of my snags have swam away yet.

16. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Your right Jr, there above the dam in the lake. It is true I tell ya, once when I was diving above the dam looking for a body I seen this giant mermaid, she had a forked tail like a channel and real long whiskers and she was big enough to swallow a VW Bettle, it scared the hell out of me. :eek: :p :eek:

17. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I think I am going to go get scuba certified this year and go work for a company who inspects dams so I can see all the mermaids and carfish.

18. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My buddy that I routinely fish with swears that if you keep the first fish you catch, it will ruin your entire day. I've proven him wrong on several occasions, but he says that it's just because I'm different. That he'll be catching fish left and right, and as soon as he decides to keep one...no more fish bite. I said,"Ummm...fish have fins...they move you know?"...or maybe that was just going to be the last fish anyway? But he swears that everytime I catch an eating sized fish, that I want to keep, be it bluegill, catfish, crappie, whatever, that keeping the first one will jinx the rest of the day!

19. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    same story here in Arkansas. Catfish big enough to swallow a man whole.

20. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yep, there ain't no fish down here on my side of the dam, there all up there in Kerr Lake, y'all kerr boy's hear that? No reason to come down here to Gaston I already caught them all!:rolleyes: