Myth or real?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by upncomincatfishking, Apr 5, 2007.

1. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    well i dont know if anyone has already asked this question.so here it goes brothers is it true that flatheads bury they're self in the mud when it gets cold.

2. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    I read they lay on the bottom and eventually a layer of silt will wash over them but I dont think they actually "bury" themselves,but I could be wrong

3. Desrthorn

Desrthorn New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I just read an article in the new In Fisherman Catfish Edition that said divers have observed flatheads in the winter lying on the bottom in single file nose to tail with silt/mud on them (probably from just laying there so long like Andrew said). Laying in single file apparently helps them to lay motionless in current. Guess you could say they are drafting.

4. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think bullheads do that in winter up north. Even when the ponds water level would get really low and the pond would freeze out I am told they get in the mud for winter to survive. Thats why once you get bullheads in pond you can't get em out.

5. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    yes Iv also heard that bullheads can survive in the mud when a lake or pond "drys up"

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yup what andrew said.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
  8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    This is a new one on me.

9. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    In the winter they become so inactive they get coverd in silt while laying on the bottom.

10. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I believe they just get covered in silt but I have seen channels bury themselves in mud when a pond gets low.

11. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Bunch of bad boys got nailed this winter , snaging flatheads thru the ice . They took fish cameras ,drilled a hole in a well known deep spot in the river ,look till they find them congregated on the bottom , make bigger holes and start snagging,heavy fines, loss of gear and privileges should teach them a lesson.
    The fish bioligst says they get dormant ,lay in deep holes behind a rock or stump , or each other.They perfer a fast current and a solid bottom . The D.N.R. has been doing winter dives , studying and tagging them . They are finally realizing what a great fish these flatheads are.

12. Desrthorn

Desrthorn New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hope they can put an end to that happening. Those fish are sure vunerable when they have to congegate in large numbers in a few select river holes.