Mysterious???

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by mudkat, Aug 1, 2006.

1. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i have actually cauht a 31 pound flathead 42'' on a piece of polish sausage ???? and i was wondering if that was unusual for a flathead to bite i was going for channels and i knew there were flat heads but i didnt expect at the time to cetch one..

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Ryan and welcome to the BOC cause we sure Love to have young Folks like you on Board! Sorta keeps us old guys HONEST. Anyway Old mr. flathead sometimes will bite on the darnest things But usually they prefer live bait or fresh cut bait like shad or skipjack and also whole live bluegill, the fresher the better. but that was Shure a nice fish. thank You for Posting, and Rep. points to you My Friend. J.D.Straka :big_smile:

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yep flatheads normally eat live bait but not always ,channels will eat anything ,infact the other nite i baited up with a soft taco from taco bell and caught a 6# channel cat . good luck lil buddy

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Go figure, sometimes they will bite on anything.

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Yeah, I always thought so too. Channels will eat anything. Didn't work last night, though :lol: Gonna have to pick up some polish sausage and soft tacos on the way to the lake next time! :big_smile:

6. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    yup flatheads will sometimes eat the weirdest things.but one thing to look at is when he ate that polish sausage...what time of year was it?pre spawn? post spawn?. when cats need to add on some bulk they will eat anything high in fat/oil and polish sausage has alot of fat/oil in it,during the fall your best baits will be anything that is high in oil this also goes for the spawing periods when they need to bulk up.ever hear of anyone catching cats on ivory or zote soap? you know why? because they are very high in animal fat.
    but congrats on your cat that is a great catch buddy :cool2:

7. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Nice fish you got there. Welcome to the BOC!!! You will learn a lot around here!!!

8. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    i caught a 29 pound flathead on a dough ball fishing for carp at a pond with a few flatheads in it behind my house idk why it ate it but it did i usually use live bait for flatheads.

9. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Welcome , ya just never know , I don't dismiss anything for bait .
    Brian

10. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Normally a flathead will go for live food, but if it's really hungry.......

Think of it this way. You eat normal food every day, but what would you eat if you went without food for a week?

11. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Was that a Supreme Taco or Regular??????:lol:

12. semper fi

semper fi New Member

State:
    virginia
    I seen my mom show up my dad catfishin one night, on half a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.. she ended up with a 22lb channel biggest one i ever seen caught... dad didnt have too much to say after that.. its been 15 years and she still brings it up.....

13. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    im just like a flathead. i would prefer a fillet minion(shad) but ill eat mac and cheese(sausage) if i have to:wink:

14. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have seen flatheads do strange things such as this before. my 6yo son was fishing with me one evening, he was going for gills and i was going for cats. he hooked into 2 fish at the same time, on 2 diffrent rods. come to find out an 8 lbs flat had picked up both of his crawlers and was hooked on 2 diffrent rods. was definately a 1st for me. i have seen flats caugt on diffrent baits, but normally its either cut bait or live. the weirdest if when you are using chicken livers to catch some eating channels and you hook into a 6lbs striper. have had this happen on a number of occasions. i have even caught 8lbs largemouth on cut gill heads. i have never heard of this before, until i saw it. i guess arizona fish are just weird. :smile2:

15. slim1

slim1 New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I have caught flathead on some strange things, but its not the norm

16. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That is the great thing about catfish. You could cut off your finger and put in on a hook and catch one. If hungry enought they will eat anything. Especially channel cat. I usually use bluegill or goldish for flatheads, but have also caught them on chicken liver fishing for channels.

17. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    What type of water were you fishing when you caught the flathead? River, lake, pond, $$$lake? From my experience, The flats I have caught in the past have been on everything from crawlers to bluegills. I have heard of flats getting caught by doughballs, and usual channel cat baits in ponds and paylakes.

18. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Mmm polish sausage. get me a side of chicken and garlic rice a roni and we're set. Do you really blame him for eating it? lol catfish will eat the darndest things.

19. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    Congrats on a nice fish and usually they eat live or fresh cut bait. But i'm sure if its pretty hungry itll lower it's standards.

20. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    congrats on the nice flatty! i once had a buddy catch a 63 lb flatty on chicken liver using ten lb test while fishin for channels!!!! me n another guy swam out 20 feet and bear hugged it the rest of the way in. however, that is the only time i have ever seen them being caught on anything but live bait. i always use live rock bass or blue gill.