Mysterious river item, what is it?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by dinkbuster1, Mar 2, 2008.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have seen these "rods" in a few areas along the river, anyone know what they are? they seem really old. the one in the pic was sticking out of a 2ft cut bank and the round part may have been sticking out above the ground before the bank washed away. think i remember seeing some rods like these along shallow "swampy" pond in a park when i was a kid and seem to remember seeing what i think now were "turtle lines" attached to them. http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n277/dinkbuster1/riverthing.jpg

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Sure does look like some kinda trap was attached to it at one time or another.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I recognize the anchor. I believe that nearly all of them are/were manufactured in town here. Don't have a clue as to what it was once used for. Could be about anything I suppose.

The anchors themselves are typically used to hold up utility poles, but coulda been used to anchor a floating structure or something of that nature???

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I've seen some big balls attached to those before. I thing they were used to hold markers bouys for the barges, but just a guess.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

I'm just gonna walk away and not run with this one.:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh: It hurts but I'm gonna do it!:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    next time i am down there i am going to see if i can pull it out and if anything is attached to it. never thought of using it for a fence, or telephone pole.

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Get a metal rod of some sort, and twist it out...if you're gonna remove it. Hard to tell how long it is. Could be 4 or 5 feet long, could be 10. If the ground is too soft, or if it's locked into a plate, it won't budge no matter what you do. Just FYI.:big_smile:

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mike ,I have installed those anchors many times in the past. Believe me ,You will be in for work trying to get it out . ,less ya got a pair ov very long posthole diggers. They have a cone shaped plate on the bottom that is flattened out in the hole to dig into the sides. and most of them are at least 8 feet long.