Mysterious noises

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by ar_confederate, Jan 29, 2007.

1. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Hi. I need a confirmation of what I think is wrong with my truck! Yesterday, I drove it for the first time in a while. It clunked when I put it into gear (once) and then I noticed a noise from the rear only when I was accelerating from a stop. It sounded like a fan blade hitting a shroud. The noise stopped if I let off on the gas and also when I reached a higher speed. It sounds to me like the U joint. Is this what ya'll think as well? If not, what other options could it be? The truck is a 1990 Dodge Dakota with 154, 000 miles. Thanks.

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Good chance that is what it is. Sometimes you have to drop the drive shaft to feel the looseness in them. You can also drop the rear driveshaft and drive with just the front to see if noise goes away.

3. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    sounds like u joint to me..

4. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I think it a u joint also if it was the fan hitting someting there would be some marks somewhere.

5. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    sounds to be a u joint id check it for loosness and replace if nessory

6. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Possibly a motor mount also. That would let the fan come up and hit the under side of the shroud.

7. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    You can't always rely on a bad u-joint to be loose as an indicator of being worn. Best way is to take them apart. Not that much to it, just make sure you mark the relationships between the driveshaft and the yokes so things go back together the same for balance.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    One other thing to check.
    Make sure the transmission bell housing bolts to the engine are tight.

9. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I would also have to say to check the motor mounts from where you say the noise is coming from.Sounds like the motor is flexing and letting the fan hit the shroud to me.Good Luck!!!