Myrtle Beach Pier Fishing?

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by miichael, Aug 19, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My wife and i go to myrtle beach in September every year and im gonna try fishing off the pier down there. I noticed in September a lot of mullet running around there. People uses cast nets and catches them. My question is what do i need to fish with to catch some fish? I've fished with squid and shrimp and catch alot of little fish. I wasn't going to take my cast net i was just going to take 2 rods and buy bait there. I want to catch some bigger fish if i can. I have 10ft heavy rods with abu garcia 6500 with 25lb line. Biggest fish iv ever caught on the pier was prob 2lb. used squid and caught a lot of small sharks about a foot long. any info be great!

Thanks

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Take your cast net.

Catch some mullet and hook them through the upper lip or behind the anal fin. Keep thim live on the hook.

A bait bucket and or one with an aireator works well.

3. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok if i take my cast net how much line to i need to add to it for it to reach the water? I have a 6ft net not sure on how long line its got. Could i just lower net off the pier and add just enough extra line for it to touch the bottom?

What will i catch with the mullet? where should i fish the mullet at? end of pier? cast it out or drop it straight down?

How big are mullet so i will know how big of a bait bucket to take?

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Definitely get some of those Mullet and do what Bobpaul said, and if you just want to catch anything big, you can cut big chunks off the mullet, and fish at night, and probably get the bigger sharks.

5. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    pier says no shark fishing but i will try that. what size hooks? I have 3/0 5/0 and 7/0 kahle hooks.

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Michael, I would suggest going down to South Myrtle and fishing off the Sportsman's Pier. It's a longer pier, it reaches out there better, and it's just north of the north jetty for Murrell's Inlet. Be observant and watch the ones that are catching fish, and do what THEY do :big_smile: Some of the locals really know what they're doing.

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yes I know, that really means you can't pull the sharks up on the pier. You can fish with Large Cut Bait and just say you are fishing for whatever bites, then if you get a big shark, you have to beach it, or break your line off at the pier. For sharks I would use the 7/0 at the very least.

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
  9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    25 to 30 foot of line should get you to the water, but why cast off the pier. Catch them before you go up. I used to catch them in the surf, right off the beach. Or in the intercoastal from shore.

There's flounder, sea trout, red drum, and spanish mackeral if your near an inlet, to be caught in the intercoastal waters.

If you go to Murrels Inlet, contact Steve Fisher, a BOC member. He's a chef at a very nice restaurant there, and might get in on this to give you some tips.

10. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    will the salt water hurt my reels or should i be fine? i will clean them good when i get back home. they are abu garcia 6500c3.

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Wash them off with freshwater after each trip, and they should be fine then. Penn reels are the best for saltwater in my opinion though, although I have used my Abu's a lot for saltwater.

12. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What's the biggest line Abu Garcia 6500 can hold and still operate well?

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well, from what I've heard most people use 20-25lb line on them, I just ordered one and plan on putting 25lb on mine. I have a 6000 and use 15lb-20lb on it usually, it did great with 20lb line, and even better with 15lb.

14. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

When you're done fishing, put your R&Rs in the shower and rinse them off with cold water (after everybody takes their showers). Let 'em stay in there and drip dry and they'll be ready for the next day. The next morning, flip the R&R over and put a drop of oil on the level-wind.

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've got 30lb BG on my 2 and I've had no problems at all with it.

16. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was going to use a carolina rig with 3 oz no roll sinker. i guess i would have to use steel leader since they have teeth? Where should i cast the bait right under pier straight down? off the end?

17. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Off the end IMHO if you can. The thing is to get it out in the trough's around the sandbars. predator fish prowl these areas. We just got back from Galveston Jettys 30 mins ago. People are tearing up redfish and specs with a few 3-4 foot sharks tossed in, mostly useing croaker and piggy perch though. Live finger mullet are netting 30 inch trout too, though we didn't catch any that big ourselves. 4 reds over 30 inchs including one that was 36 on croaker. 15 flounder over 18 on finger mullet and piggys. We didn't catch any sharks but saw a few get landed around us and includeing a hookup on one that I would say pushed 10 feet, and this was right at stewart beach.