My youngest is now an official flathead catfish hunter!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Flatheadhunter33, May 26, 2009.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    My boys and I had another awesome night on the colorado last Saturday night! Got on the water at the usual time. Getting in the water was a real pain in the butt because of all the holiday traffic at the dock. Once we got in though, it was good from there. Got about a dozen 'gills in the livewell and hit the first spot well before dark. The hooks that that I have dont have a wide enough gap. I had thought of this last time out because we missed a lot of runs that night and Saturday night...after about four missed runs I managed to hook one on cut bait and got him to the boat. From there I decided to scale down on all the cut bait chunks in order to leave enough room on the hooks. I also had one that was a real horse but he got off at the boat:angry:...right around 4 am I thought that he came back for some more when my tuna stick got slammed hard! I set the hook and reeled it in to find the largest large mouth bass I have ever caught!

The best part of the night though was when my five year old got his first ever flathead! At first I thought that he wasnt going to be able to get the fish in but he pumped and pumped until the fish got to the boat and in the net! Man was I proud!:big_smile::big_smile: Now the youngest member of the Hawkins family is an official flathead hunter! I got pics of all the fish weighed them and released them all back into the river. The flatheads ranged from 7lbs to 2lbs. The large mouth was almost 6lbs he seemed bigger though....yep...it was a great night!

2. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I tried to post the pics but they are invalid files? I pulled them from my phone because I forgot my camera... I'll try again later...

3. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    THATS GREAT.TELL HIM I SAID CONGRATS ON THE CATCH.

4. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Dameon, Thanks for the post of the story tell your son congrats for me you got him hook at an early age:cool2::smile2:

5. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Way to go Dameon; you're raising those younguns' right!

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Very nicely done awsome stuff bro tight lines !

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats to him and you for taking a kid fishing.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Did you chunk up the largemouth for more baits?:smile2:

Congrats on making your youngest a Flatheadhunter!:cool2:

9. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for taken ya Boys. Luv to fish with my kidds even if they are a handfull. Glad your youngest got his first Flatt. Bet that was the best part of the night.:wink:

10. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Nice man now he's gonna want to reel them all in.

11. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo

same here thats truely wonderfull !!!!!!!!!!! congrats to your son :big_smile::wink: !!!!!!!!!!!!! sending reps your way Dameon

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good for y'all Dameon! Yes, you are raising them right! I keep waiting for the report that you folks got hung back up with "Nessie" and landed her! I tell people about that event all the time, how she drug your anchored pontoon boat around! I know y'all will get her! Reps out to ya!!!!!!!! BTW: What brand/size of hooks are you using?

Bill in SC

13. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    thanks everyone for the good words! and yes Bill, Im still on the lookout for Nessie:wink:. I have been back to that spot a few times with not one bite yet this year so Im wondering if that area might be where she goes towards the end of the year:confused2:...we'll see...the hooks that I am using came from a local outfitter. I dont remember the name brand though. I do remember the package saying that they are for saltwater fshing though. I got them because they are the size i was looking for (7/0) and they came 20 to a pack for around $13.00...Im wondering if there is a way that i can widen the gap myself without ruining the hook? Then again I dont want to waste anymore time or risk losing another good fish...

14. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Dameon sounds to be you got a fishing partner for life now,congrads to your son on the flathead ,an congrads to u for taking him fishing. You had better enjoy catching fish for the next year or two ,by the time he,s 6 or 7 years old u might not be able to beat him to the rods when one hitts,

But from reading your post you were happier than he was on his catch :cool2: keep up the good work on raising your children

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Dameon for sharing your fishing trip. Congrats to the five year old on his first flathead. WTG Dad.

16. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    glad yall had a good trip. Tell your boy way 2 go!! thats awesome.

17. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Tell him CONGRATULATIONS from me!Better watch, he might be outfishing you by the time he,s 10.lol:wink:

18. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    We need the younger generation to love the outdoors!

19. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Well...I have tried everything that I can think of to get the pics posted but nothing works...I even tried to post through photo bucket with no luck...sorry everyone. If I can find a file converter, that might work.

20. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congratulations to your son! Reps to you dad!