My worm bin

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by raybait1, Sep 26, 2008.

1. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
  2. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA

3. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    you may be a red neck iffen you have your fishing worms in your living room :smile2:

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    All rite! With that many worms its gotta be noisey. LOL!

5. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    You wouldnt know they were there. They dont smell. And they dont make any noise.

6. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    if i tried to keep my worms in the house me and my worms would be sleeping out side

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Worms= nice
    Location= interesting
    Understanding wife= priceless.
    :smile2::smile2:

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    my wife got me one of those styrofome worm boxes for our anniversy :smile2: lol in an attempt to keep um alive cuse the dead ones stunk up the house. for some reason i cant keep um alive still :confused2: i used the worm box with the worm bedding and still dead worms :confused2: faster than just leaving them in the cup i picked them up in:confused2: whats yalls secrets or wha am i doing wrong?

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm no expert, and have never had a worm bed of my own, but I think that store bought nightcrawlers just don't survive well outside of the fridge. I think the majority of them are from Canada and acclimated are to cooler temps.

If you dig 'em, or collect them out of the yard after a good rain, you will find that these worms survive a whole lot better.

10. catmando2

catmando2 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    If you have time you should post some tips for us. I tried to raise a container full like yours in my workshop and with in two weeks they had went to worm heaven. Thought I was doing everything right but it didn't work out so I have never tried again

Thank's
    Catmando2

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    yea what he said some tips on keeping theam alive would be nice

12. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Like stated before the storebought worms wont survive. Also the worms that you dig out of the ground wont survive. The worms i have are found by raking back leaves in a moist area. youl know them if you have them they flop around like a fish outv of water. Their called red wigglers. You can also get them from under aged cow pies. I bought a pound from a guy in AZ off ebay.
    They need to be kept between 60 and 80 degrees.
    Keep them covered with a bedding material such as damp leaves or shreaded junkmail.
    Keep them moist, but not wet.
    They eat any organic material. I dont feed meat or dairy products, these tend to rot before their consumed.(smell bad)
    No salty foods, the salt builds up over time begause it has nowhere to go.

Im sure ill think of somthing else.

13. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Ray when i first start a worm bed do i use yard dirt poting soil or peat moss ? how do i prepair a bed befor i get the worms is what im geting at:cool2:

14. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    I used compost from a compost pile I used to have at my old house. And about a cup full of sand. Its said that worms have gizzards like chickens and need a little grit in their diet.
    You're looking for something that doesn't compact easily.
    Peat will work make sure its good and moist.
    Well aged cow/horse manure is good.
    I wouldn't use potting soil, I don't trust the wetting agents and fertilizers.

15. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Thanks Ray i am going to keep trying myself with an outside wormbed. The keeping them [store bought] in the frig gets old and they don't seem to live more than about a week. I have about 6 bluegill in a container anxiously awaiting the next fishing trip. Three step process earthworm=bluegill=flathead thanks Ray for sharing.

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea i was just telling the wife i needed some cow poo and she insists that it is the water out of my bait tank thats ive been using doing them in. they eat poo for crying out loud how can it bee the water:confused2: am i wrong.

17. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I have kept nightcrawlers for some time, but they are very touchy. Just a little off on temp or moisture and you've got a big pile of stink.

The ones I kept I caught myself on a rainy night. Peat Moss or Peat moss and a bit of compost was what worked best for me. Use wet newspaper on top to keep it moist and prevent it from drying out. But if it gets too wet at the bottom it will sour and start killing worms.

Stable cool temps in mid 60's help. Up north here we have basements that work pretty well. Bigger containers are easier in some respects, but if it goes bad you have a whole pile of stink to deal with. I've had my best results with a series of 5 gallon plastic buckets. Do NOT put too many worms in a bucket. Couple dozen well scattered is your best bet for long term survival.

They eat virtually anything organic, but the smaller pieces its in the easier they can get too it. Potato peelings work, but chop them up fine first.

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You mentioned that the red wigglers were the easiest to keep. There is a black guy one town over from here that raises those big blue/gray worms quite successfully. I sure want to have me a worm bed by next year. Wax worms are just getting too expensive! Let's keep this thread going for more info!
    Bill in SC

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't know that much about raising worms, but if it is your aquarium water causing a problem, it could be the ammonia in the water from the fish. I'd say that rainwater would be best, but you can also let city water stand for 2 or 3 days to let the chlorine dissipate and use it.

20. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    like to learn how to raise mill worms to