My Wifes big cat

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathunter, Dec 19, 2005.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My Wife likes to fish for whatever is hitting, so at times it's hard for me to get her to use big baits. She knows big baits will only take big fish! One night in september of 2001, I managed to get her to use a very large bluegill for bait, and a comical episode followed. After casting out her bluegill, and waiting for over an hour with no action, Rhonda started to complain. She wanted to bait up with something smaller so she could get some hits!

I finally gave in to her complaining and removed her bluegill, and baited her up with a gob of nightcrawlers. She seemed more content in knowing that she had a better chance to catch a smaller fish. It did not take long for her to get a hit. She grabbed her rod and gave a good hard hookset, unfortunately for me her rod cracked me right in the face. My glasses went flying off, and I made a few not so pleasant comments as a big welt raised across the bridge of my nose. Once I regained my composure and located my glasses, I realized that Rhonda had hooked a good one.

The fish was pulling her into the creek! When I got to her she was holding on for dear life, and I was surprised the 20-lb test line she was using had not broke. I decreased the drag on her reel so the fish could take line with out pulling her in. Rhonda fought the fish for appx 20 minutes, with her gaining some line, and then the fish taking it back. Finally I grew tired of watching this battle and suggested that she wade into the creek, to get a better angle on the fish, which was constantly taking her down stream.

That was a big mistake, as she lost her footing and fell. I ran into the water, not to see if my wife was ok, but to try and get her rod. That was another mistake, but I will not get into that here. Anyway I managed to get her rod and handed it back to her after she regained her footing. The fight was back on, but only for a short while as the big fish got her into a snag. I never heard such swearing in my life that came from her mouth, and the more she cussed the harder I laughed. However we can both look back at that night now, and chuckle a little.

Below is a pic of my wife with a nice channel cat she caught...Not the one that got away of course :D

2. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Good Story Flat, I'd like to have been a bird on a wire and seen all that, Smacked with the pole in the face, That had to hurt, So i would say laughin was good payback.... LOL

3. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    nice catch for sure !!

It's the stories that make it fun !!

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Great story Jack. That is a nice channel! Smooth move on savein the rod first. LOL! I would have done the same thing. LOL!

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Very good story Jack I wish I could seen that. :D

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Another story.....

Man I'm going to be late for work, but you guys have to know about this:

Last spring we had been getting decent Flatheads form a certain spot, Jack & his wife went one day (yes, w/out me :crying: ) Well I guess Jack got a huge flat, he said when he saw it in the water it was just as big as his 50#. He had to position himself in a way that he could get the fish becasue the spot is a hard one to fish from & even harder to land a fish. He gave the rod to his wife to hold well he made his way down to the landing spot, to see his wife drop the rod. Now this is from his mouth "I got up grapped my crap (for the lack of a better word) went straight to the truck, got home & threw my tackle down the stairs" etc......, blah, blah.... & I think the end went something like this "I slept on the couch last night"

:p Man I still remember that phone call, he was MAD!

7. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    LMAO! Great stories! :p

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thank's for sharing the storie's...... :D

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Good stories there. One good thing is when a man has a wife that will fish with him ,he already has a keeper before he even starts to fish. :D

10. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    She got a nice one, congrats to you both!

We all like to see the girls out there .....well at least I do!

"Join in the pursuit"
    <><Baitkiller><>

11. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Very nice fish in the picture...Stories were pretty funny too...lol

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bryan's story brings back painfull memories..My personal best flathead is 50-lbs..That one looked just as big when it surfaced near sure..If my wife would have just hung on to my rod long enough for me to climb down the bank and net it I would have been very happy..As it was she droped my rod as I was climbing down and gave the fish slack line and the hook came out...GEEZ, that haunted me for weeks :sad:

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice story, great fish!

14. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

All I have to say is, great catch!!! It's not very often that a man is able to find such a great woman who wants to spend long nights next to the water, and doesn't mind holding holding what she catches.

Oh yea, that's a nice fish she caught.

Ray

15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes.... she deserves a better man than Flathunter. I mean he Yells At Her when she drops a pole & is more concerned for his rod & reel than her safety when she slips in a roaring body of water such as Paint Creek. :p

16. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    "flatthunter" you might be a catfisherman ""if you save the rod "FIRST." Good story and definately a good consolation fish for the wife.

17. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    LMAO..... Great stories. Theres nothing like doing the perfect swandive to save that rod and reel. Been there done that several times.

18. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    flat your a true catfisherman.worry about the pole firt then the wife.nice channel aswell.im sure she had a ball fighting it,well up until the point she fell in the water...lol:)

19. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Great story Jack!! It's great to include the family!!

20. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Great Story, My wife would love to catch a cat that big!

chris