My wife, a big ole Gama circle hook loaded with 4-5 big juicy Catawba worms and a whi

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CatHunterSteve, Aug 4, 2009.

1. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Had one of those days that everyone needs every now and again and we needed for sure.
    Got skunked by my wife on Claytor Lake in Virginia, even though she ultimately landed only 1 channel but the big event of the day was when we pulled up on a log jam to do a little cat fishing, after trolling buck tails jigs for stripers for about an hour with no luck and I loaded her a big ole Gamma circle hook with 4-5 huge Catawba worms and a 2 oz bank sinker and said go ahead and pick where you want to cast it!
    Well she said I think I will just drop it straight off the edge of the boat which she did, in about 9 foot of water which dropped off into about a 50 foot channel within a few feet from her.
    Next thing I see is her rod bending way past double as she pick it up out of the rod holder to try to reel in the fish it made another big run bending the pole even more and there she was, holding on for dear life trying not to lose the pole to the fish. It was perfect! Both of us have been through more stress lately than we would ever wish on our worst enemy and suddenly, their it was a big smile on her face that soon turned to that “ole my God what do I do now look”, cause I think the fish was bigger than she because it actually lifted her an inch or two off of her seat as literally had a white knuckle grip with both hands around the pole about a foot above reel reel.
    We do a lot of striper fishing together in the spring but this was the first opportunity that I had to see her surprised by something really big hitting her pole.
    It was wonderful, yet short lived as the fish just kept going and the line snapped like a 22 going off.
    You should have seen that fish my wife almost caught!
    Was it a channel? Was it a flat?
    I don’t know but I was sure glad that I was there to see her almost catch that big fish!

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    AWWWW!!! Dang....Well what can I say..It happens to the best of us..I know I've lost a lions share of big fish..:embarassed:

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    good story i found myself rooting for her

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sometimes the one that gets away is just as good as catching them. It makes you want to be there even more.

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    At least she had the opportunity to catch a big fish.I'd say from the way u explained it It was probably a big ole Flat laying in that log jam.Get her back out there with heavier line..most likely still in the area.

6. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

From the sound of thing, it did you both good to be out.
    I know what it is like to see my wife smile, the feel I get.
    As I read the story, I had hope she got the fish.
    Thanks for a great read, and story.

7. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    I will have to agree great story better luck next time I wish I could have seen the look on her face must have been PRICELESS. :big_smile:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Nothing like the husband and wife team enjoying the day fishing. I wish she could of landed it.You would probably be playing catch up for awhile.:wink:

9. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Very nice post. Would have been nice to have seen her get that big fish in.

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Thats a great story,,Even though she didn't get it in :sad2:,she will never forget that fish:wink:

11. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Im sorry to hear about your life being stressful...i can understand what your saying...glad to see the fish that got away is giving you so much pleasure...

12. CBurns87

CBurns87 New Member

State:
    Topeka Kansas
    hopefully next time she lands it...thats a story for the grandkids one day!!

13. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    My fiancee' and I had something like that happen late sunday afternoon, she saw the pole double, I grabbed it, set the hook and almost had it back to me when it got off the hook, we could see that it was a nice channel around 20 inches long, dissapointing but fun and makes you want to go even more.
    GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN FISHIN'!!!:cool2:

14. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Glad to see you got out and got some action.It,s days like that,make life worth living.:wink:

15. cat6028

cat6028 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    what pound and type of line was she using.

16. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Wasn't planning on cat fishing that day and only had 17lb test line on, my bust, but still a priceless moment.

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Steve,that is a cool story, sound like your wife had fun.