My very first catfish chum

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Bdstory, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Bdstory

Bdstory New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hi all, new here, name is Bill. Ive found reading your comments very interesting and i've learned alot.

Anyway, I made my very first chum yesterday. Here is what I did.

In a 42 gallon trash can I mixed:

50 lbs of deer corn
    6 pack of beer
    3 packets of yeast
    1 container of garlic powder

It only took up about the bottom 1/4 to 1/3 of the trash can and im hoping I didnt go overboard. Cant wait to get home tonight and see if its bubbleing yet. Its tied up to a tree in my back yard where it gets the afternoon sunlight.

Anyone ever use this kind of mixture? How did it work?

Bill

Edit:
    I forgot to add I also added water to 3 inches above the corn.

2. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Not that particular recipe but your going to have to keep adding water for the first 4-5 days. Try to keep it about a 1" above the corn. The more sun it gets the better it is. It'll take about a week then you're wife will make ya put a lid on it. LOL ought to work great.......... Good Luck....

3. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Welcome to the BOC

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Thats alot bigger batch than I have made but it sounds sound. Keep it covered in water though and be prepared to have your neighbors complaining in about 5-9 days.

5. Bdstory

Bdstory New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well, day 1, already smells like a steak for some reason, the kind you burp up after a fine spicy meal heh.

Had to add ALOT of water today. Will see tommorow night. I was kind of supprised that it has started to smell already, but again this is my first batch so its a learning process I guess.

Bill

6. Bdstory

Bdstory New Member

State:
    Texas
    Day 2 and there is a gray foam over the top. Not much smellier than yesterday but it was a bit worse.

The fly's were starting to congregate.

Bill

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

put a screen are the lid on it unless you want the maggots'

8. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    welcome my friend.

9. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Just wait it will start smelling. You will know by the smell when it is ready. Good luck.

10. johnpotter777

johnpotter777 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Beer and yeast cant go wrong

11. Bdstory

Bdstory New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well, wife just walked in and said we might have a problem. She was smiling.

She could smell it at the pool in the back yard. I live on half an acre and have it at the back fence. Dont know what im going to do. Cant wait till the neighbors say something, ROFL.

Its bubbling real real good right now.

Bill

12. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

whe n the neighbors complain wait three are four more days and then you should be ready, and the looks you get will have you in the floor laughing.

13. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    let it ferment, then run it through the still, boy, what a batch of white dawg. You won't care if the fish don't bite!

14. Bdstory

Bdstory New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ok, so 2 weeks ago I FINALLY used the chum and it worked pretty good. One of the fella's we fish with pretty regular was gagging on the boat all night. He couldnt come closer than about 15 feet of the bucket on land. Once we got on the boat, OMG talk about a gag fest. Hilarious really.

I put the chum in the water and nothing happened for about an hour. We were using stink bait and worms. No hits, nothing. Then I switched to livers, man talk about a feeding frenzy. We couldnt keep the poles in the water. Had alot of fun. Caught and released most of them.

Even though it worked real well, I think, I added a bag of milo to the mixture last weekend, its bubbling now and I cant wait to try that.

Bill

15. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Must be good stuff,if you had to tie it to a tree. HA-HA:cool2:

16. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    must be pretty good i can smell it from here.LMAO.:cool2:

17. Bubbafish

Bubbafish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    nevr used chum before but may try it just to here the neeighbors and family complain. But it sounds like it worked pretty good ill let ya know if i get the same results.