my van

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by cathouse, Sep 16, 2008.

1. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    well i posted somewhere about my 1988 chevy beaville g30 for $300.00 i have been having a great time customizing this thing , no not like your probably thinking i added a second alternator (already had the bracket and alternator) leece neville 160 amp 14volt with seperata toggle switch to turn on and off when not needed , battery isolater and 2 interstate workaholic batteries and a tripplite 1000 watt power inverter aquired very cheap also , needed new ground wire inside did a new positve while i was in there went up a size or two cant hurt anything you know to run small luxurys tv's , power tools , hot plates , laptop you get the idea and an extra 3 hot accessory 12 volt sockets next job is to figure out how to hook up a throttle control of some sort to slightly raise rpm's when needed to get a quick charge when the van is parked (ideas welcome) also hooked up sleeping arrangements crude but functional 3/4 inch plywood about 6 ft. long and around 33 in. wide that folds up against the wall via 3 heavy duty hinges tack welded to steel supports inside of van wall when not needed , took a couple of legs off a folding table for underneath (modified to fit) for stability , still tinkering with other ideas oh yeah and of course overhead rod storage done first .

2. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Since gas is so high-i nixed my idea of getting a small motorhome to pull my boat. I am toying with the idea of adding a generator/ac to my suburban to turn into camping machine with some amenities.
    Thanks for the post. Anybody out there with converted vans/suvs into camping machines?

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We have a 87 ford van...it likes a lill gas but I can pack the boat gear -canoe plus kids dogs & ole lady:wink:Its a tank.....Its the fishin buggy (LOL)(see photo album)
    ( I am looking at a possible switch with some love and labor...know where there is a 1979 4x4 extended cab with a blown motor:wink: It might be comeing to the garage and become buggy 2:roll_eyes:)

4. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    `Hey i had a 1992 suburban up until 4months or so ago let the lil lady talk me into getting rid of it 4x4 1500 what a beast i dont yhink it knew it was a half ton , anyhow worst day of my life missed like a child and to add insult to injury i bought a luxury car , make and model not even important ran across this van for $300 toatal (see my post in whats your truck in 4x4 forum) for a giggle of course i had to have it it was one of those where did that come from and of course i replied oh that ole thing lol !!! and after the story and the price and slicking her palm mommy let me keep it off she headed to the mall 1 ton van 137.000 on motor highway miles with proof toll booth and service reciepts and engine replacement reciept as well ( GM crate ) can you say load up and lets pull something .

5. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I bought an 88 Dodge conversion last year for camping/fishing trips. Runs great gets around 16-18mpg. only has 77,000 original miles on it. Has a raised roof on it, but it needs to be about 6" taller so I can stand up.:smile2: I gutted all the seats except for front seats, been working on a sleeping platform/dining booth. Got a small Refrigerator and microwave for it. Just havent had the time to put it all together yet. Might spend a little extra in gas, but wont have to sleep in a tent. :wink: Gave $600 for it, as it needed to be sold so I got a good deal.

Attached Files: