My trip to the Smoky Mountains-Story and Pictures!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Katmaster Jr., Jun 13, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I went with my grandparents to the Smoky Mountains this past weekend, it was their 45th Anniversary. My aunt and little cousins also came. We arrived at the mountains on Friday evening. My grandparents have a vacation house there. We stayed until Monday Morning. Saturday was the day that we went out on a guided Smallmouth Bass trip on the little Tennesse River. We went out in Canoes, put in at the fish camp upstream and drifted all the way down to a ramp way downstream. My grandparents and aunt didn't fish any, but just drifted for fun, my 6 yr old cousin named Ian, fished half of the trip with the guide and I. My other little cousin named "Claire" who is 4 years old, stayed with our grandparents the whole time.

The river was beatiful, the water was very swift and shallow with rocks, a Canoe, Kayak, etc. is definitely the only way to get down that river. We started at 10am, my grandparents, aunt, and cousins only stayed until about 6pm. Well from 10am to 6pm the fishing was very slow, I did catch a few smallmouth less then a pound, would have made awesome bait.:roll_eyes: Then after my Grandparents, aunt, and cousins were done, we went way down the river, I couldn't believe how much the river had changed, it went from a few rocky, fast current areas, to all rocky, and swift current. Then it was about 7pm, all of the sudden I started tearing up the smallmouth, but they were still small, around a pound, decent fight on the ultralight with 4lb test and in a lot of current.

The later it got, and the farther we moved downstream the better the fishing got! We got to one spot that was really awesome, the Rainbow Trout were everywhere! This was a real treat, the guide said normally it's not like that for them, I mean you could see them everywhere. We were in very shallow water, and some super fast current. We had the canoe jammed up against some rocks as we cast our Rebel Crankbaits into the swirling waters, there was a slightly deeper pool behind one rock, I noticed the flick of a tail, I cast my lure in it....cranked my reel a few times and BAM, FISH ON!!! The 4lb line on my ultralight reel was stretched to the limit, I loosened my drag just in time, the fish took off downstream, about 25 yards down it jumped, a HUGE Rainbow Trout, unfortuantly this jump caused the hook to come out, and all the guide and I could do was say "Ohhh man!" the fish was gone, and the sun was starting to get behind the trees, we didn't have much longer.

I made another cast across the river, and luckily I did hook up with a decent Rainbow Trout, no where near as big as the first one, but a very nice fight, took about 5 minutes to get in, the current was ripping hard. After that fish, time was forcing us to start drifting down towards the ramp to take out the canoe. On the way down I ended up catching a few more smallmouth bass that were only like 1 pound, and I got a bunch of big bream. It got dark and I had to stop fishing, and we were going downstream bumping off of rocks almost the whole time, the guide was great though and really knew the river, we got the canoe out of the water by 10:30pm, and the guide drove me home. It was a blast, and the guide was one of the nicest people I have ever met. I really learned a lot, but never really got over losing such a huge Trout.

The next day (Sunday) I went with my family to this huge mansion "The Biltmore Estate" and we did the tourist thing...:lol: It was truly a massive sight though, they wouldn't let me get any pictures inside though. They also had a "Outdoor Center" there, where I was taught how to properly use a flyrod, casting and stuff. That was pretty cool, and now I will have to try some flyfishing sometime.

After getting back to the house, I took my little cousin fishing in the river we went on Saturday, we went from the bank, I tried to fish for the catfish some, but I wasn't in the right kind of spot for them. Unfortuantly I forgot my camera, but my little cousin caught a small carp, and that was the only fish of that day. He still thought it was cool.

I had one of the best times of my life, the time I spent with my grandparents, Aunt, and cousins is priceless, I will cherish the memories forever. It's sad, but of course they won't be around forever, this is just a part of life, but we have to enjoy the time we do spend together.

I have a lot of pictures, I mean a whole lot! I will post them directly below.

Zakk:smile2:

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    First set of pictures, first picture is of one of the Smallmouth.

Attached Files:

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Second set of pictures-

Attached Files:

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Third set of pictures-

Attached Files:

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I think these are all for now-

Attached Files:

6. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Zakk,
    Looks like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing your story and pictures with us. I love the Smokies! Jennifer

7. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    great pics we are planning a family trip for later this summer to the smokies we will be getting a chalet in the mountains and doing the whole gatlinburg thing for the kids but i hope to do some fishing too

8. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Welcome back Zakk!
    I knew you would have a great time and I am very happy that you truly did.
    What a great write up about your trip. Cool pics too.
    Thanks so much for sharing!

9. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Im glad that you had a nice time..Looks like you had fun

10. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Welcome back. Looks like you had a great time.

11. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Wecome back, Glad you had a great and safe trip. It will last a lifetime. You and your cousins will talk about thia trip until oldage . It will get better everytime its talked about.

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks y'all, it was a blast as I said in the first post. I did miss catfishing and the BOC though.:embarassed:

13. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Great story & super pics! That sure is some beautiful country. Thanks for sharing :big_smile:

14. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    im jealous! i've driven by the smokies several times, but never been able to see 'em up close n personal. sure is some pretty scenery up there

15. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Sounds like you had a great trip. We have been to the Smokies several times in the last few years and went to the Biltmore House on our last trip, but I have never done any fishing while there.

16. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Glad your back and glad to see you made the right decision. Nice pics and good memories.

17. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Zakk, I tell you young man, I for one am really proud to have young people with your values in the BOC. I'm sure you family must be overwelmed with your maturity and consideration for you Grandparents and as far as that goes your entire family. You will always have that time with you and the example you set for the younger kids is to be admired by us all.

Good Man, Yes even though you are 15 you actions tell us you are a man.

You get a check mark in my book

Danny

18. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Katmaster: try not to square your pictures up, let them stand at 500 X 375 and the picture will look normal.

Unless your trying to be skinny !!

Attached Files:

19. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Eric, that looks a whole lot better, I have been doing them at 400x400 and it does square them up most of the time. Thank you.

Zakk

20. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Glad to see you went with your grandparents, will be a great time to remember with them.