My trip to the James River

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by jconna, Apr 22, 2008.

1. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Well, got back and wanted to give an update on my first trip to the Lower James. As you can see...I was able to come up with an Avatar out of it :).
    Was hoping for bigger but I won't complain about 32lbs for my first time out. Missed quite a few nicer fish but learned quite a bit, and can't wait to get back down. Had a guide for the first day and Randy did a fantastic job on putting us on fish. We missed quite a few, and that's on us, but I would recommend him to anyone. A really good guy and busted his butt all day to get us fish. We finished out the rest of the days on our own boat and didn't do nearly as well, but we did manage to pull in quite a few fish, albeit, not quite as big, but I did have one snap me off and roll that had to be in the 60 lb range. A few stripers in the 20 lb range finished us off and overall, we had a fantastic time. Thanks to everyone for they're information and advice leading up to the trip, and I honestly can't wait to get back down. I fell in love with the Lower James....Fantastic river and already looking forward to planning my next trip.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great trip to the James. Congrats and good luck in the future

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Wow, that sounds great. Glad you got some nice fish. Thanks for the report

4. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sounds like you had fun, I'm going to have to book a boat to get to the big ones. I live a stones throw from the James too, I'm just itching to catch a big one. Too bad some got away, you have a reason to come back.
    good luck

5. monstercat420

monstercat420 New Member

State:
    illinois
    All I have to say is if you want to catch the fish of your life call a guide from the BOC and you will get that hog of your dreams!!!!!!!(#1 on the James!!)

6. monstercat420

monstercat420 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I guess you cant write about good people who put you on huge fish without someone editing your post(the guides name was chris eberwien)

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like you had a great trip and had your self a fun time, thats a nice looking catfish that you caught, I know what you mean liked better, but heck thats better than nothing, I bet that fish put up a good fight thank you for sharing the pictures with us and good luck and hopefully you will be able to catch some more nice fish.

8. DOCDENNY

DOCDENNY New Member

State:
    Southern Illinois
    my little brother is in the navy and has fished the james river multiple times and is not having much luck. any advice on bait and locations. it would be appreciated. thanks

9. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Congratulations on the 30+. Nice fish.

10. monstercat420

monstercat420 New Member

State:
    illinois
    on the james we used fresh cut gizzard shad for bait. Location anywhere!!!There are HAWGS everywhere on the james(just find humps and holes and wait)good luck have fun!!

Attached Files:

11. monstercat420

monstercat420 New Member

State:
    illinois
    one more james river HAWG!!(70lbs)

Attached Files:

12. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Totaly awesome fish. Looks like you had a real ball. Congrats. :wink: