my trip to santee

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by McDreamy, Nov 29, 2009.

1. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    here is how my trip to santee turned out i arrived weds at about 230 at blacks camp un loaded the boat got all gear stashed in rooms and went out and tried in the canal for about an hr or so water moving so fast i dont think my baits ever hit bottom so we go back in and hit the hay. turkey day we get up and go out with the guide in a fog so thick u could almost cut it with a knife on lake moultire we start driftin with socks out the front and the motor running in reverse which worked really well cause we caught 10 fish largest a 29,5 lbs smallest 8lbs all blues which in talking to the guide i found out he knows one of the fellas from team catfish. friday we get up to go out on our own well boat wont crank cause the battery is dead so we swap out batteries then we go out on moultrie half way across the lake it is a lil rough by the time we get to marker #9 its got a nice pitch to it so we call it a day and haul but back in and we get drench cause the waves are that bad a really rough ride.
    well we get up sat and go out and guess what the boat wont crank again so we jump it off with a jump box and head on out to num 9 we shut the motor off and start drifting we drift for about an hr and only get one hit so we reel in and get ready to move and the motor wont crank so my dad climbs out on the back of the boat with some decent size waves rocking the boat to jump the motor again. the we head towards the east dike and we see a fish attractor bouy so we start drifiting from there then my grand paw says the noise of the motor is bothering him so we shut it down again we pick up 4 fish from that drift they were 15,8,10,12. so by now we hope the motor will crank which it doesnt try jumping and it wont turn so we try flagging down another boat that was close to us and they take off in the oppisite direction so we take the trolling motor battery the one we swithc and the main battery and finally get enough juice to fire up
    so we start more or less trolling in reverse really slow then my nephew catches his first fish of the day then next he catches a 7 lb striper then i get a run i grab the rod and reel in when i notice my nephews line has tied nots around mine so i have to hand off my rod and reel and have to start fighting the fish by hand for 30 mins until the get other line cut out of mine they finally do and i get my rod back and fight the fish for another 15 mins when lo and behold a big head breaks the water im really excited saying grab the net well my old man only has a small rubber net on the boat so he grabsthe gaff in stead gaffs the fish so we can get it in we get it in and its a 37.6 flattie and i procede to do a happy dance on the boat we caught 11 fish total this day so we hauled in and went home

2. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    all in all not bad trip sounds like. You made best of it each time and caught some good fish. Thanks for the report.:big_smile:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good report! Sounds like y'all did OK. Bet that flattie was a blast to pull! I'd be very apprehensive on the lake with an iffy motor. VERY VERY dangerous.

Bill in SC

4. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    sounds like a heck of a time but thats a bad place for engine trouble :eek:oooh:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  5. bulldog1

bulldog1 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Sounds like you had a great time. Hope you get a battery for christmas:smile2:

6. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Great post. I feel like I was in the boat with ya'll!

7. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Sounds like a great trip all but the battery. Man ya was determined to fish, i would had got that boat to pull me to the landing:smile2: I guess i wouldn't had caught the 37lb flathead.

8. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Congrats on the flat, glad yall made it back safely

9. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    Nothing like a little determination to help find some fish. Sounds like you did OK despite all the troubles.

10. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Man, Keeping your cool really paid off, I don't know if I could have made it.

11. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Eric , i,m glad ya,ll had a good time even with the battery troubles ,also glad you made it back safe to fish again another day

12. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    here are pixs of my flattiie and my nephews striper

Attached Files: