my trip to rual king - using tractor batteries in the boat?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by noah, May 22, 2009.

1. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    well i went to rual king today and bought 2 6 volt tractor batterys for the boat i am gonna see how they will do a guy told me that the cca and the amp hour is higher in the 6 volt and when you use 2 to make 12 then you are still higher than a regular 12 volt marine bat so i was jus gonna run this by you guys and see what yall think:cool2::smile2:

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    We had some guys a few years ago that where using wheelchair batteries for their trolling motors.

They were adamant that it beat Marine batteries.

3. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    A friend of mine had a catapiller batery he used for several years. We could go camping for the weekend and fish all day using the trolling motor and never see it weaken. And it was used when he got it. They are very expencive though.

4. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    As a person that runs tractors for a living, I farm, 2 12 volt batteries will out perform 2 6 volts hands down. If you want the ultimate cranking hook the positive of both batteries together and the negatives together then to the motor. It is still twelve volt but twice the battery. All of our tractors have been swithed from two 6 volts to two 12 volts. Make sure you hook the batteries up correctly or it will be 24 volt and you will fry all the wiring.

5. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I don't understand. It seems like it would be a lot smarter to just use two marine batteries if you want the capacity of two batteries. People do that all the time.

6. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    i guess i will take the 6 back and get 2 12s
    as for the cat bats i love them but i cant afford them and get this we get employee discount on them from fabick:cool2:
    i dont need the bats for starting i need them for munnin my 3 mill candle light power spot light and runnin lights

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I am guessing that your engine does not have a charging system for the cranking battery? I guess I am not understanding what your doing with a spot light and running lights that require so much power to run them.....

8. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I C, i'd get some deep cycles because that's what they're for. They're still rated in amp hours which I think is different than CCA.

9. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    You take a spot light like that and not many battries will hang in there vary long.

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    That is why I was referring to whether or not he was running an engine and one that charged the cranking battery......... I have a 2.5 and a 5 million and have never worried about there use or the cranking battery, but I also have the engine running when it is in use.....

11. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Ran a Farm and Fleet brand deep cycle last year for all electronics(trolling, nav lights, finder, anchor winch, 6.5 million spotlight, Sirius radio and recharged the battery I say in last Aug and it was still setting around 8.7V.

12. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    thanks everyone for your input