My trip to old Mississippi

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by Matthew72, May 29, 2006.

1. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    On May, 13 2006, I went down to visit my family in Mississippi. I planned on staying for ten days. I had been wanting to go visit for some time but because of school I had to wait until that particular time of the year to go.
    The trip down was uneventful, even though I started out at about 5:30 in the morning. I did see the sunrise and it was beautiful. I arrived at about noon. After unloading my things at my father‘s house, I rested a few minutes and went over to my brother’s place. My mother, brother and his kids were there. We had a great time and had a little cookout. My nephew, Patrick, went back to my dad’s with me so he could go to the brotherhood breakfast the next morning. Because of the cookout, we were late getting back to my father’s house and I missed out on some quality time with my father and Barbara, his wife. We talked a little while the news was on then took a shower and went to bed.
    The next morning we were up early for the brotherhood breakfast. We really like these early morning meetings because of the fellowship and we can get a real good message to inspire us for the day and the week. Not to forget the wonderful breakfast cooked by the men of that church. When it was over, we came back to father’s house. I needed to get Patrick back to his parents in time to go to church with them. We made it in time and I joined them at the church they attend. A good sermon was brought by the woman they have for a preacher. It was about mother’s day. Anyway back to the old homestead and then over I went to see my grandmother. A lot of my family was there. one of my aunts was shocked that I had been writing for the college paper. Everyone there was proud of me and I felt very good about myself. It was good to see my grandmother because she is getting on in years. I hope she has many more years here with us all. After leaving my grandmother’s house I spent the rest of the day with my brother and his family. We talked about fishing and when we might go fishing. After it got late, I went back over to my father’s house for some well needed rest. I walked in and sat down just in time for the news. Twenty minutes of that was all I could handle. So, off to bed I went.
    The next morning we got up and had a wonderful breakfast together. There was plenty to talk about and we went out and sat on the patio so as to enjoy the day. We must have sat there for two or three hours chatting about everything. We looked at the garden and then Father hoed the tomato plants. I wanted to help but he said he needed the exercise. Soon after that we went inside and ate the wonderful lunch Barbara had prepared. I left there after lunch to meet my mother in town to sign the final papers to give them the home place. Then after that I took my mother out to supper for Mother’s Day. We took Patrick with us and we all had steak. It was a great meal. We went back to the house and undone our pants and watched TV. I headed back over to Pop’s at about nine or so. Early to bed and early to rise is the habit around there so I was happy to go to sleep before the news went off.
    The next morning was Tuesday and we had our usual breakfast and it was as good as ever. Barbara is a great cook and her husband is not such a bad cook himself. Then, on with our day we went. I went over to see Terry at work. I sure missed that boy. He asked me to stop by his house one evening and see the family. I said I would be there Thursday night. I eventually got over to Luke’s and we talked about fighting up some of his roosters. Patrick wanted to do it right then and there but we decided on Sunday in between the church times. The day seemed to fly by and it was not long till the next day.
    I thoroughly enjoyed being down the whole week. We looked at the chickens and even sparred a few. We did a lot of stuff with our fishing poles, Luke and Patrick gave me two and I love them. We finally decided to go to Davis lake to fish on Friday night. Luke needed a license and so did father. Patrick is not yet thirteen so he is safe for a few more years. I had to go pay a king’s ransom for my one day pass. Wednesday my father and I went back to his house for a nap. I was looking forward to that very much, when I tried to turn my sleep apnea machine on it would not work. That spelled trouble for the old Matt Matt for sure. I called the local home health care facility and was told to bring it in to see if it could be fixed. I did that quickly and they said to me, “You are gonna have to leave this here until tomorrow when the RT will be here.” I was freaking out. “I need it fixed now so I can use it to sleep tonight.” , I said to her matter of fact kind of way. She was adamant about me leaving it there until the next day so I had to do as she said. I asked for a loner to get me through the night and I was refused that option. She said simply, “You better sit up and sleep.” That is what I did. The night seemed to stretch on forever, but, I did get a little sleep.
    Next morning I was up early and needing some coffee. We planned on going to a Brotherhood Supper at a church on the other side of town later that evening. Breakfast was from the gas and dash down the road. I went to the awards ceremony for Patrick and Monica. I am so proud of them and they earned those awards. I brought them back with me to their house and stayed there until Luke got home. After he arrived, Patrick and I went back over to Deddy’s because we all were going to the Brotherhood that night. Around 5 p.m. I called the home health care folks and they said meet them over at the main office, about forty miles away, to get a loner. My old one was not fixable. I had to run over there Pronto! then, get back and go to the church. Pop says to me, “Why not just go straight to the church from town?” So I did that very thing. I got over to the church ten minutes late but still got plenty to eat. My cousin, Tracey, was the speaker at the supper and he did a wonderful job. I planned right then and there to be a visitor at his church on Sunday morning.
    After the supper let out, Patrick and I went over to Terry’s house and visited with them for a couple hours. I got Patrick home at 11p.m. and myself home around twenty minutes later. Man, it was good to lay down in a bed. The loner machine worked well. I slept deeply.
    Friday morning, up and at it. I attended the kindergarten graduation of Rose. I am very proud of her. She learned a little rhyme to recite at the graduation and she did very well. After that Patrick and I went to Deddy’s house to wait for Luke to get off work and take a nap. We headed over to Luke’s about 3p.m. or so. We had a few things to finish up before leaving out on our trip, Luke had some calls to make and we needed some grub. We stopped at the grocery store and got a loaf of bread, three packs of bologna and plenty of cold drinks for our coolers.
    We arrived at the lake in two vehicles, my Tracker and Deddy’s Dodge pickup. The price to get in is three dollars per carload so we filled out the paperwork and inserted the cash. We went straight to the picnic table and ate. I told the boys I was gonna drive around and see if I can find a place to set up. The only place not crammed with people was the pier over by the boat ramp. We drove down, parked and unloaded our gear. The rods and reels needed to be untangled so we set at it. Deddy started fishing out on the end. His reel was not a good quality product. He had purchased it from an auction the week before. He started having trouble with it right away. We swapped him to another light weight rod and I threw the bad reel away. I kept the rod for myself and I put a reel I like on it. Any way, Patrick and Luke were fishing strictly for catfish and I was, for the first hour or so, retying hooks and baiting hooks when it was needed. After a while everything settled down and I picked up one of those light weight rods and started throwing a tiny rooster tail down the pier and reeling it in slowly. Well, after the second retrieve
    I caught a good sized bluegill and I was having a ball. We stuck him on a big circle hook and casted it out for the flatheads. I continued to catch bluegill until Patrick wanted to takeover so I sat down and rested while he caught enough for our bait needs. At about 9:30p.m. father wanted to go home. He took my Tracker and left his truck so we could load the stuff in it when we were done. The three of us kept fishing and having a great time. I do not think we got a nibble all night but what a good time we had. At about 10ish some other folks came out on the pier and started fishing for catfish. They were young folks with flashlights and cellphones and loudmouths so we did not stay long after they showed up. We left about 11:30p.m. and I was in bed by 12:45a.m.
    The next morning we all got up and went up to Wren, Ms to a trade day. It is very much like a giant yard sale. I got a new belt and a big ole redneck belt buckle. Deddy bought some maters, that’s tomatoes to y’all northerners. Patrick bought some rare coins and a little spinning reel. Luke purchased a Sturdy Stick fishing pole. We left from there close to noon time. We had a cook out that afternoon at father’s house. Terry and his family came over and Tammy’s oldest daughter, Amanda, came with them. Luke and his bunch came over as well. Barbara’s son, Jerry, came over too. I was in charge of the grill, I am not good at it but I do like it, and I cooked all the food to perfection. From the oven we had baked beans and from the deep fryer Jerry prepared homemade french fries. For desert we had pies, cake and homemade ice-cream. Oh Boy, we did some partying. I had my radio in the Tracker going and folks did enjoy a little Elvis music as well as some other oldies but goodies. Also, we sat in the living room and watched the classic movie OLD YELLER. We had such a great time there that afternoon and evening. That night I did a lot of resting. Then I went to bed and slept.
    Sunday morning and up with the chickens as they say. Bright and early and I am ready for Brotherhood Breakfast. We get there and guess who is there. Mr. Bruce Green, a Brotherhood of Catfishermen friend of mine. We talked about fishing for little while and then ate a great breakfast which was followed by a meaningful message brought by the guest speaker. I left there feeling energized and refreshed. I went to see Momma for a few minutes while picking up Luke and his kids to go to Tracy’s church. We went over there and had a great time at church and got a good sermon as well. When we got home we changed into some good work clothes. The roosters were ready to go and so were we. Afterward we were very satisfied with the outcome. I spent the rest of the day resting and relaxing with my family. We talked and chatted the evening away and I got back over to father’s just in time to catch some news and jump in bed.
    Monday morning coming down is a good way to describe what I felt like. I was tired, sad and dreading the drive I had ahead of me. But, on the other hand I was looking forward to seeing my little love nugget, April. I had missed her since the day I left. All I had to do now was tie up the loose ends and start driving. I ran over to where Terry worked and got some chicken medicine he had for me. Then back to Deddy’s to finish packing my stuff. I said my goodbyes to Barbara and Deddy. I drove over to Luke’s to get my hens and hit the road. Luke was not ready to load the hens, I waited for him to eat and then we went to the chicken yard to get those hens. I wanted to band their legs before we put them in the box so I would be sure which one was which when I unloaded them. Patrick, Luke and I took our time and enjoyed it. By the time we were through it was about 3:00p.m. and I was starting my trip home a little late. I was going through Oxford and needed some sunscreen badly. I stopped at the Wal-mart, got me a bottle and was on my way again. I arrived home at 8:30p.m. tired and hot. A great ending to a great journey.

2. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Good story, interesting.

3. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I liked your story. I noticed your living in Cobden,Ill, I have a good friend who moved to Cobden Last year. I've been there twice, a nice town. Andy

4. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Matthew I enjoyed your story, it sounds like it could have been written 100 years ago except for the travel. Thanks

5. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Mississippi, WE LOVE IT!!!:big_smile::big_smile:

Glad you enjoyed your trip. Were you raised down here?

6. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I was raised in Mississippi. I grew up wanting to be somebody speacial with an exciting life. Now all I want to do is be a nobody with a slow and calm life. I would love to raise my kids(if I ever have any) in a place where they can learn what life is all about. Mississippi is one of those places, along with so many other places. I bet there are hundreds of places that are good to raise younguns. I like Cobden a lot. It is a homey little village that has earned my respect for staying small and quaint. I love it here.

7. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I knew after my teenage years that I didn't want to be anywhere else. Like the ole saying, "Home is where the Heart is" and well mine is here! I feel most people who live in the rural areas of the U.S. have a great sense of pride about their homeland, I know I do!!:cool2:

8. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    I'm confused. What color tie did you say the park ranger's grandfather was buried in?:wink:

9. speedy1_36

speedy1_36 New Member

State:
    Bruce,Mississippi
    It was nice meeting you at the Brotherhood breakfast. Its funny meeting you on the BOC Site and knowing your Daddy for years. Send me a email and I will send you a pic of the flathead i caught on the grabbling trip with the Preacher. My email is bruce587@tycom.net Boy did we have a good time! My first ever to catch one with my hand. Now i am hooked. I need to put it on my avatar pic but i don't know how...maybe a little help brothers. Thanks

10. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    Email on the way And pic are included

11. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Matt you should have let me know you were gona be in or close to Oxford and I would have took you catfishing where you might have caught a few. I have two kids that live close to Davis Lake.

12. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I dont remember saying that. I wish it was pink though.

Bad karma, I am sorry I did not holler at you. I was purty dang busy most of the time, but next time maybe me and you and speedy hit the water if it is ok with him.