My thoughts on berkley and spiderline mono

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by tncatfishing, Dec 21, 2005.

1. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Over the weekend of fishing I have noticed that the line I am using on my pole for lure fishing the spiderline super mono 17lb broke far easier than I thought it should, it casts great. So last night I picked up 675yd spool of berkley big game clear steel line. Comparing the strength of the two by tying each off and covering my hand with a small towel and wrapping the line around that and pulling like crazy the 17lb super mono broke far easier than the 14lb berkley line. So I respooled the small spincast with the berkley line and also put it on my new baitcaster pole. Now the berkley line withstood alot more pressure than the 17lb which surprised me. Does each company rate their line in a different way? Now the braid line from spiderline is excellent. but no more of the supermono for me. Well see how the berkley line holds up in the real world this weekend.

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    thats weird i use the spider super mono a lot 17 pound and sometimes i wish it would break easy it could be possible you got a bad batch maybe

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Must be cause it breaks way easier than the 14lb berkley. Also I was comparing the berkley line to others and it seemed to be thicker than some other heavier lb test. It says on the spool that it is 40 percent stronger than other lines that claim to strong, it must be. The spiderline mono is the super mono thin maybe that has something to do with it. It wasn't inexpensive line the spool cost about11 dollars. Seems like it is gonna do good. Now if I can just get use to casting a baitcast reel.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Don't put to much stock in the lb test rating on line spools.40% stronger than other lines of the same test doesn't really mean much unless there is a comparability factor.If both are the same diameter and same material then there might be some value.It is easy to make a 17lb line and put it on a spool that says 14lb test and VOILA its stronger than the other 14lb line.The best way to see reality is with a knot testing machine and just test the line with no knots in it.This is a game that has been played a long time.

5. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I had spiderline mono 6lb for one of my light bait poles and it really sucked. I put 10lb big game and it is much stronger.

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Rodpod that is what I am finding out between the 14 and 17lb line withe the Berkley big game which is 14lb test being way stronger than the 17lb line. Jim I could understand their being that much difference in them if the 17lb spidermono was a no name cheap line, but it is not suppose to be. Maybe they should stick to making braid line. Now I tested the 14lb berkley line in my own ways and it is tuff, but we shall do more testing this weekend.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Strength ratings aren't all the same, otherwise, except for casting ease, we'd be buying the cheapy store brands. Look at the diameter too on the spiderline vs big game. Also, from what I've read, Berkley puts a hard coating on Big Game to handle abrasion, that may make a difference. I do know there is a real difference between Trilene XL and XT lines, especially in lighter lb ratings.

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Yup the berkley 14lb is considerably thicker than the spider mono 17lb. The big game line even says it is suppose have easy casting and stand up to shock, I'm guesing that means sudden stops and jerks.