My thought on carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by chicagoriverking, Jan 23, 2006.

1. chicagoriverking

chicagoriverking New Member

State:
    CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
    within the last couple of months i have met a member CAG (CARP ANGLERS GROUP) and a member of midwestanglers, there based in chicago,il. they specialize in european and american techniques for carp. they introduced the hair rig to me and certain techniques that have greatly increased my catch and weight of fish. because of them i have caught three 20lb + carp. if different fishing organizations and clubs took time to show techniques we could all be great carp and catfish fisherman, even though its good to be competitive and pull tricks out of you sleeve for that monster fish.

2. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    do you like the mechanics of the hair rig?, it revolutionised the fishing in the UK and there are several new variations.

3. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    What is the hair rig, could one of you explain, thanks.

4. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    A hair rig,

you tie the hook on with the hooklink material but leave a 1 1/2 inch tag that lyes along the back of the hook, this tag (hair) is then looped at the end so as you can slide baits onto it using a needle, the loop end is then plugged with twig or hair stops so the bait does not fly off when you cast. When the bait is picked up the fish will blow the bait out and not the hook.

5. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    I thought I new alot about carp fishing till I spent 3 days with some CAG guys last year.Sure was alot of fun;)

6. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    What do you do with the carp that you catch? I know people that: release them; throw 'em up on the bank; eat them :crying: ; and use them for fertilizing their flower beds :confused:

7. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    I always catch and release irrespective of size

8. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Many people in the US of A consider carp to be a trash fish, how are they viewed in the UK?

9. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Thanks for the info. I may give that a try.

10. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    FK If you do try tying the rig, make sure the hair runs off the back of the hook and not the side and this will cause the hook to twist awkwardly in the fishes mouth, in addition make sure the hooklink is passed back through the front of the eye as this makes the hookling twist and hook the fish.

You can see the mechanics of the rig by passing it over your fingers, if it works the hook will twist into your fingers, if the line does not pass through the eye of the hook then the hook will not twist round and into your finger and fall away

11. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
  12. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Another thing i like to do is to make my hair a loop instead of just the end having a loop on it ,,Let me see if i can dig up some hair rig pics, I even had at one time a animated verison on the hair rig

Catbusster
    Ever try the hair rig on cats?

13. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    I like my bait tied to a sliding ring that runs up and down the shank of the hook, it is free running to the bend onto whish is a float rubber which stops the ring from going round the bend and off the point of the hook. The bait is blown down the shank leaving the hook in the mouth in a same way that a hair does. I also like to tie multiple hairs and fish one pop up and one bottom bait with the hook sat up inbetween them ;)

14. chicagoriverking

chicagoriverking New Member

State:
    CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
    her in chicago match fishing is blooming.. I fished for carp all my life and match fishing is more technical than just a rod and reel with corn, i have learned a lot. to all of you in the uk thanks for coming up with different techniques. i have a question though are there strong match poles that are cheap, if you know there website can i get it

15. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    I went to a fishing show at the weekend and they had 17meter carp poles for sale! I am unsure as to there price or even if you wanted one that long but will sure take some time to talk to a few of our contacts.

Do you have a budget if so what is your maximum spend and what length pole do you want chicagoriverking?.

I started fishing with a 6foot pole, I was not allowed rod and reel until I had mastered the pole. I love fishing with the pole for small stuff (UNDER 5LB)