My Thought About Tips And Or Gratuitys

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ace, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    These are my thoughts.
    When I go to a restaurant for a meal I don`t think my bill should be for more money than the menu dictate the price to be.I expect to be served good food of my choice.I also expect good service at no extra charge.When I have a good waitress and she or he gives me good service I think she or he deserve a good tip.A good waitress will keep a check on all their tables to see if every thing is satisfactory and to keep your cup or glass filled.I know most restaurants only pay their waitresses minimun wage.And some do not even receive minimun wage they have to depend on their tips.Some establishments put all the tips in a pot and at the end of the day or shift the management of that business splits all the tips between all waitresses and some even take a cut for their self.Whitch I think to be unfair to the ones that work harder and receive more tips from their tables.:0a13:

Now gratuitys is a different matter.When you go to one of the high end restaurants for a meal most of the time you do not receive any better service than at one of the lower end restaurants.The food they serve is not that great that is my opinion your may differ.Most of the time the only thing that is different is the price of the food and a percentage of the price of meal call a gratuity tacked on to the bill with out your permission.This money is what the business owner uses to pay their help.So in the long run you are all most paying double for your meal thats my opinion.{ Whats yours } :0a21:

Ace :cat:

2. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I agree Ace , Good service needs good tips, when i leave a tip , it is for the one who did the service, not everyone in the place. and dont even think of charging me more than the menu price. ill put lady dragger on them..........................

3. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    You don`t want to do that you could not pay the fine

4. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    i totaly agree a tip for good service is ong thing. but if i ever went to a resturaunt and they tried telling me i owed more than what i saw that the menue said, well ill just say it aint right.

5. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

While you all have good points...I have a bit of a different take.

Most servers from what I understand receive well less then minimum wage, as tips are the bulk of their wages.

When I order food, I assume I will get adequate service and figure the standard 15% tip onto the price in my head. Now comes grading time, and then analysis for why.

Since 15% is the standard, that is what I tip for an ordinary meal with ordinary service. If the service is exceptional, the server might get a 25-40% tip, as sometimes I am a very demanding customer who is most appreciative for those who can keep up with my desires (I've been known to down 9-10 glasses of water with a meal)...and I'm willing to reward as such.

Now if the service is lousy, I go into the analysis mode. Is the service lousy because the waitress is lazy, uninterested, or overworked and understaffed (something beyond their control). If I think the waitress is just somewhat lazy... they will get a 5-8% tip. If they are really lazy or inadequate, I will still tip about 25 to 50 cents, to let them know that I do indeed tip (some people don't) but was not happy with the service.

If I get inadequate service due to a server working in an understaffed situation but they are still busting their rear, once again they are in the 25-40% range but with a bonus, as I try to make sure they get a smile from me, as sometimes that does them more good then the cash.

6. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    When it comes to tipping, the only thing I won't do is include it on a credit card. I always leave cash.

I never base my tip on the food quality. The server has nothing to do with that.

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    My sister is a server at a place here in Tulsa. She gets paid less than minimum wage. On top of that, she is taxed on 8% of what her TOTAL sales are for each day not on what her tips actually are. The place she works, splits the tips. That means if she sells $1,000 in one day, then she is taxed on $80 of that 1000. Now, if her tables only leave her $80 in tips, then she's already in a pickle, because she doesn't get all of what she is being taxed on.

Least I tip is 8%
    Most I tip is 40% (ok, it was only once and she was pregnant AND gave excellent service)

For an average meal, I will take whatever the tax is, and multiply it by 2. That puts an average tip at roughly 16%.

8. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    cyclops you better watch tipping like that......
    your eye might fall out:p

9. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    i'm bartending part time, mostly to get out of the house. it pays $5.25/hr.
    it's staight cash(thankfully). i keep track of hours / tips /wages. i average $ 12.45 per/hr total. without tips it would hardly be worth showing up.

catwacker

10. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    As for tips I generally figure 20%.If the service is not up to par I leave 10% and if it's better than average I'll leave 30%. Now for mandatory gratuities I don't eat at many places like that because like Ace said I don't really think those places are much better eating than the average steakhouse for my taste anyway.I don't care much for fast food joints but I am perfectly happy with a Golden Corral or a Ryan's Steakhouse or something similar.You can tell by looking at me We go out about 3 nights a week to a steakhouse somewhere.I am bloated from Shoney's Bar-B-Que Night as I speak. LOL!!

11. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    i give a tip on how i was served, not how good or bad the food was. i can't stand crappy service and my tip will show it. but on the other hand, i really enjoy a server giving me their all. the better the service, the better the tip.

12. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I would just like to walk into a restaurant once and see a sign that says "We pay our employees fair wages and no tip is necessary".

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,

It's hard for me to believe that some of you are allowed in public places. Of course the way some of you feel about tipping, if you go back to a place twice, you deserve lousy service.

Grumpy, I wasn't picking on you , I only have a comment on your particular response. If you saw that sign, you probably wouldn't afford their prices (wouldn't not couldn't)

I've been to those places that add the gratuity automatically, and my usual though is that it cost the server money because I always tip more than 15%, however today I see why some of those places see fit to do it. Additionally I'll still tip those IF the service is exceptional. Speaking of which I am a simple man. If my glass is refilled when it is 3/4 empty.... Big tip, huge. If I drain the cup, set it near the edge and it promptly gets refilled, still good. If I have to ask it goes straight to 20%. I rarely tip less than that for I remember what it is like to depend on tips and $2.00 an hour.

Folks, Servers work their tails off for a lot of demanding, low tipping, low class people. It amazes me that you call yourself a brotherhood, as long as the information is free. You are blessed enough to go out to eat and be waited on hand and foot, yet you begrudge a server any form of "extra"?

How about brightening their day once in a while? I'll guarantee you that it will make yours. It's called win win. You'll enjoy the smile on their face when the tip is 20-30% (rounded up to the next dollar cheapskate) and you'll get better service when you go back.

14. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    On restaurants where the owner is also the server, I do not tip. They set the prices, and they ought to expect what they ask for.

Servers here in MI make around 3.15 per hour cause the state expects them to make tips. I am stingy on some tips cause of this- it doesnt take a world class education to pick up a plate and remember who asked for it and wether they wanted ketchup or not with it. If you want to make money, go to school and earn your level of pay for what you want. I tip well in fancy restarants cause the folks who do that service generally have spent more than just a few days combing the classifieds for a job to be hired in a place like that- it comes down to education.

I paid 15 grand in college for the bullcarp I know. I earned the money I make over minimum wage by putting in my time and effort. You want money? learn. The job of picking up a plate and taking it to a customer should pay minimum wage. If she or he has 8 tables full of food per hour, then they need only make a couple dollars to pull minimum wages in michigan (which is 5.15) Stressed out? Cant take the pressure of the burning question of wether they want fries or rice pilaf? Quit. That easy.

Now, for a cup of coffee only I wont leave a tip. One cup isnt an effort and if you expect to get a buck in your pocket for spilling colored water into my cup, you have made a mistake. If I sit for 45 minutes or more I leave a buck cause I took up space on my cup of coffee at a table where she could have filled it with folks who wanted prime rib and would have left a proper percentage.

I cant stand the "something for nothing" mentality. We ont OWE anyone anything for doing what they were hired to do. If the service was good, the food delivered on time and the tomato slice omitted as asked, then that OUGHT TO BE THE STANDARD AND NOT GROUNDS FOR A BONUS. If theyre particularly good in chatter and extra attentive, then a few bucks ought to bring em to the minimum wage... but it should not be expected. We ought not reward a basic standard of service.

Its a touch and go deal.

Bartenders wont ever get a tip from me for removing a bottle cap or a cork or pulling a tab to break the seal on a can. That isnt rocket science and expecting to be rich at the end of a night is ludicrous for what is expected. Of course, I dont order mixed drinks or shots, so I dont have to impress the bartender or give them the idea that I deserve the extra pour time, so I cant say one way or another wether that case would warrant a bonus or not.

I think we have gotten to the point where there is an expectation of your reward for standard service. Im growing to hate it, myself cause it gives the false impression that by walking a plate across a room theyre fulfilling a duty that requires anything above and beyond the mentality of a chimp.

Sorry if you work in one of those places and my thought offends you.... it is just my opinion! And I worked for bars & restaurants for 6 years as a waiter, dishwasher, bartender, DJ, bouncer, room service guy and busboy- I am not oblivious to the reality of the job.... I think thats why I have contempt for it.

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Sal,I find it interesting that you paid 15 grand for a 'Bullcarp"in college.Normaly around here you can get a male carp for free just by asking.In fact I have a couple I was going to use as Flathead bait that I will give you so that will amortize your cost down to "3 for 15K or 3 grand apiece which is much more respectable.As for the restuarants, if tipping is such a diliema for some of you, stay home.I am confused by the original comment which said I expect good service as part of the deal then said if I get "good "service then I leave a tip.I have the opportunity to eat in some of the finest restuarants not only around here but Myrtle Beach,Mexico,Canada, Colorado and points all over the world where I travel.I actively seek these places out because 1.The food is much better than the Golden Corral and 2. the wait staff are usually highly trained professionals that make the dining experience a wonderful thing.The best of them make you wonder if they were even there,yet you never have to ask for anything,they make excellent recommendations about their chefs specialties and really know their business.There isn't any hard or fast rule on how much to tip them.Try and enjoy you meal and not get wrapped up in this.All it will do is give you indigestion.:) Or like Sal you will end up way over paying for some Carp.:rolleyes: :p ;) :cool: :)

16. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    My Opinion:
    Good Service will equal a good tip.

17. Mr. Catfish

Mr. Catfish Member

State:
    Indianapolis, I
    I always tip at least %20 , if the service was great then the tip will reflect that. My wife is a server so i always try to leave good tips. I know she hates it when people don't leave her a tip

18. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    The only time I agree with the Restaurant charging a set rate for a gratuity is when they have to give you a separate room or rearrange their seating arrangement to accommodate your party.
    I think what is worst than the tip is the taxes it is down right outrages to give the state as much or more than the server is getting as a tip I use to double the tax for a minimum tip but not anymore. I'm just not willing to pay $90 for a $60 meal.

19. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    A gratuity or tip is something that should be given of your own free will. If you are billed for it then it's not a gratuity.

Webster's definition: something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service.

20. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    speaking of, I tip the barber when I get a haircut, tip the news paper boy when he actually delivers it to the porch most mornings outta the month.

My wife tips the lady that does her pedicures and manicures.

Tips aren't JUST for eating out. Heck, when I was a kid, my parents tipped the baggers at the grocery store.

If you go to a drive in like Sonic, take that into account, and be sure to TIP the CARHOP well!!!