My theory on catching bluegill

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by vetrock, Jul 9, 2008.

1. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    Bluegill as well as most sunfish are very aggressive. If they grew bigger than a few pounds we would never land them.

They have big fish attitudes, especially around the spawn.

So, when the fish are shallow, I usually try to cast into where the are, and make a fairly big splash with the cork. I think this draws in the aggressive little dude ready to attack.

I have killed fishing partners in little one on one competitions by doing this. Many times the boat will scare the fish if they are shallow.

Don't get me wrong. I tightline with a flyrod many times as well, especially around treetops where it is easy to snag, or if I am fishing deeper.

But, the next time the fishing is slow try this: keep the boat away, cast, and make a big splash with the cork.

Rocky

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    SURE WASNT SLOW THIS WEEK. CAUGHT 150+ IN TWO DAYS. :smile2:

100 KEEPERS.

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I have noticed that too. When I go to catch bait I used to just drop it in and wait for them to find it. Now I just plop it in there and they just go for it. Usually within a second or two. I keep the hook movin so they dont get a chance to swallow it.

4. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    when ever i throw my cast net in i take a fist fll of small river rocks to splash before the nex hits the water......

i caught a 8 in gill but he was to big for bait and let the monster go in a reed bed in the next cove..... he probably wighed about 3/4 lb or close to 1 lb......

they hit anything that hits the water and the bigger ones will move the horn of the cast net.......

can you amagin a nice jucy 8 lb bluegill.... or a 20 lb bluegill.....:crazy:

thats when you bring out the 100 lb cajun braid line :smile2::wink::tounge_out:

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    20lb bluegill. worlds tastiest meal right there. ide eat one fillet like that steak at the texas ranch. 72ozer.:smile2:

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if gills got to 8 to 20 lbs you would need heavy salt water gear to land them.

7. Stl-Stitch

Stl-Stitch New Member

State:
    Saint Charles, MO
    Can you use Bluegill for cut bait in ARK.

8. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    no doubt:big_smile:

9. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    Yes, to my knowledge. Though I would use them live. I know you can't use bass or crappie on a trotline.

10. massa_blake

massa_blake New Member

State:
    Texas
    I wish bluegill would get to 20 pounds. I would have a full freezer year round.

11. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i wonder how big a flathead would get :crazy:

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like an interesting technique that I will have to employ at the first opportunity.

13. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Great technique. I use a weighted cork to make the splash.

14. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I fish with a flyrod and sinking line with about 2 ft of 6 lb mono leader. No weight-no cork. Don't wad the worm on the hook-leave it as straight as possible. Just hook the worm about 1/2 inch in the band area covering the point of a small brass hook with both ends left free to wiggle. Toss it about 6 ft from the bank and let it slowly fall naturally. When you see the flyline straighten and start to pull away, set the hook. I have seen it happen many times over that I catch 5 to 1 over people fishing nearby using a cork, lead , and wadding the worm up on the hook. You will use more bait, but you will carry home more fish. They can't stand the wiggling falling bait! This doesn't work well in swift water because the bait doesn't fall naturally.

Catfish are not hook shy, but bream and bluegill are, so keep the point of the hook covered.

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Seems odd to see folks theorize on bream fishin' technique.
    BB in SC

16. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    good point about covering the tip of the hook. I can remember my grandma harping on me about that as a little boy.

I do your technique too, but usually where you have a little creek or feeder running into the river. I'll throw it into the mouth and let it tumble down. The "red bellies" as we call them are usually there waiting for them, and they are the fiestiest of perch which make for great trotline bait.

17. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I do it the exact same way, only with a little bluegill rod. Free line a little chunk of worm, bee moth, or hot dog and watch the line. Set it immediately to avoid gut hooking. It out fishes floats or any other method by far. 9 out of 10 times it's taken before it even reaches bottom.

18. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    :0a27: -- No doubt if they grew to 20 lbs this would be a bluegill forum...Lol..

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep sure does. i caught 150+ non and tues. 1/4" chunk of worm bobber 18" deep. never took a step. took home 100.:eek:oooh: (i cant drive 55 thread)

easiest fish to catch.

20. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I guess you guys are saying it don't take a genius to catch panfish. I agree if you are in the right place and they are in a biting mood. Then, no matter what you do, you go home with a bucket of fish. Even little kids can have fun. But when the bite gets slow, technique CAN definitely make a big difference!

I've met a lot of catfishermen...haven't met one yet that impressed me as being a genius. In fact, most are about a half bubble off normal! Like panfish, a lot of catfishing is being in the right place at the right time but when the bite gets slow...technique matters.

That's why I love the BOC. I've learned more about catfishing here than in all the fishing magazines I wasted money on combined!

After the surgeon gets though doing a roto-rooter job on a blocked carotid artery next week, I hope to get back on the river and put it into practice.

If you guys are on good terms with the Lord. Remember me in your prayers. If you haven't talked to Him in a long time, go ahead and pray, but don't mention my name til you've talked a while. :wink: