My "the one that got away"

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Gibbzilla, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    With a full moon shinin on the lake tonight, it was beautiful out there, but we weren't really gettin the catfish ta bite. Eventually I got a huge hit, set the hook, and Ithought I missed the fish. Seconds later I noticed it was still on, and the fight started. After about 5 minutes, I had gotten a pretty large crowd watchin me, and the fight continued. At about the 10 minute mark, the gigantic channel cat surfaced, and with one rush of water, the cat flopped and the hook came out of it's mouth, and I watched as the monster swam back into the deep.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Gibbzilla sorry to hear about that but I think it has happened to us all. If you fish you loose fish. Even Tred Barta, lol, looses fish.

3. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I feel your pain. Lost a huge Flatty earlier this year. With out a doubt, would've been my personal best.

4. JReed

JReed New Member

State:
    Lima, Ohio
    I lost a nice one myself. Est. the weight at 25+ lbs. My ex fishing partner never got off his bum to help me, said he didn't know I had a bite. It's tail was about 8" tall and it's belly was about 30" long, never did see it's head. I had it about 8' from shore when it spit the hook. Never have been fishing with him since that day.

5. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    Sorry to hear of your loss we shall all morn for you. LOL. Don't sweat it I know it stinks, but all have lost a fish or two

6. Kentucky_Cat_Hunter

Kentucky_Cat_Hunter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I lost what would have been my best of the summer last weekend. It had my pole nearly doubled over and I got him pretty close to the bank. It was dark so I never got to see him, but it rolled one good time as I almost had him to the bank, and the line broke! I feel your pain, lol.

7. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I feel for you too brother. Many of us have been there. Just last year I lost a personal best blue cat. I still feel that one. Hook pulled out at the boat as I was about to net it.

8. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Dang, don't ya hate when that happens.
    Well it gives you a good reason to go out and try hooking him again.
    Better luck to ya next time.

9. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    can't win em all but at least you had a few minutes of excitement:big_smile:

10. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I feel your pain, brother. Been there & wanted to chew my pole into a toothpick.

My story was on lake Texoma back during college about 10 years ago. I had a huge blue get off at the boat. We had neglected to bring a net along that night, and I got him to the boat 3 different times. The last time he came up, the hook just popped right out. Nobody said a word for about 5 minutes, I really wanted to freak out.... but I just rebaited and went back to work. No more big bites that night. That would've been my biggest cat ever, no doubt. It was enormous. Oh well.

11. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Sorry to hear that pal , but those are always the best stories .

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    We all feel your pain, but atleast when you tell others about it you have witnesses to the fact.

13. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sorry about the lost fish... i had that happen a few times.... worst is everyone see what you put into it and then it swims away... but the good thing is that its still out there for you to catch.... Good luck...