my sunday report

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by fishmonster13, Oct 18, 2009.

1. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    well got on the water around 9;30 or so and almost forgot to put the drain plug in and then as i was unwinching the boat i slipped and almost went in the water luckily it was just my boot that got wet, then it was off to get some bit down at anderson ferry and when i went to lift the trolling motor up the knob on top popped out and went right in the water , at this point i'm thinking to myself, self, maybe i should just go home:angry: well got some shad ,in three casts i had half a five gallon bucket full , called colsrob and found out where he was to drop offf some bait to him. ran into tbull as i was dropping off the bait and i headed down river and started drifting on my first run i cuaght an 11lb blue. switched sides of the river made a few more runs untill the wind picked up so i headed back up rive and caught an 8lb blue made a few more runs but had no luck and the wind was really picking up where i was at so called it a day at about 5;30. at least got two fish in the boat:big_smile::big_smile:

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Goodfishing man! It sometimes seems tough, but like I have always said... " You can't catch em from the couch"!!!!:wink: rollo

3. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    it sure does beat sittin at home , i forgot the pics.

Attached Files:

4. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    tbull and I had a weird day, couple channels, couple drum, couple hybrids. All came off skippies except for one drum. Couldnt believe we had decent current. Thought we were gonna rockem. of the 3 different boats I know of none of us set the world on fire but supposedly Dale the guide was catchin the sh*% out of the fish today. Got to give it to him, he seems to always have good numbers of fish on an outing. Oh yeah and his boat is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  5. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    at least you were able to catch some bait unlike some o us lol:smile2: but all in all not that bad of a day. you got some in the boat and that better than none. nice job on the catches and thanx a bunch for some bait!

6. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati
    Any day on the water beats being at home. Salmonid and I fished that tourney on Saturday out of Tanners. Shad were in there thick!!! Got half a bucketful in 2 throws. Fishing was tough...the wind was terrible. Drifting was hard...couldnt anchor without being blown around....big ass pleasure craft out...haha and it was cold. We ended up catching 10 fish though...only 1 came from drifting. Lost 2 other fish and missed a few. Also caught a spotted bass and Salmonid landed another nice Drum...he is the Drum King!!:wink:

7. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the report, some fish even if they are not monsters is still better than none.

8. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Glad you caught a few fish, we spent most of the day experimenting, trying to come up with some new tactics. Spent most of the day walk baits down stream. Caught 5 or 6 but only 3 were cats. Not a wasted day though, wanted to try some different stuff. Nothing seemed to touch anything unless it was on the move...

9. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    yeah both mine were caught when I was really moving,first one I was adujsting my drift moving in towards the shore and he hit second one I had adjusted my line down and reeled back up and he hit it

10. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
  11. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I was just curious how you guys drift the big river? Do you just drop straight down and hold at a certain depth or do you use like a dropshot touching bottom?

12. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    I do a lil bit of both actually but to be honest I catch just as many with a carolina rig. put rod in rod holder, spool out line till it touches bottom and reel to where you are seeing the fish suspended. Most of the time I crank my rigs up 4-6 turns on a normal basis then just watch your graph. If it shallows up just a foot or drops a foot I do nothing but if you have a dramatic change in depth you may need to let out line or crank up a few feet. Drifting with 3 ways gives me a heart attack some times. drifting along and your pole starts to bend and 9 times out of 10 your sinkers just hung. Also with cranking up carolina rigs I don't have to change my setup if I want to start anchor fishin afterwards.