My successful bait in catchin' Channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by sliprig5, Oct 30, 2008.

1. sliprig5

sliprig5 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    James Shrout
    I have personally had my best Channel Cat fishing with a whole Nightcrawler, deasticked on the bottom. I have had some success with dipbaits and chicken liver, but my best Channel fishin' is with nightcrawlers. If you haven't tried it yet you need to. Tell me how it works out for you. Good Luck!

2. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the boc, thanks for the info!

3. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I use whatever the fish want. I have caught channels on everything imaginable. Worms,stink,dipbait,liver,cheese,and everything but the kitchen sink. Try weenies soaked in cherry kool aid and garlic powder.

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    thanks and welcome to the BOC

5. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have tried nightcrawlers also! They are effective but i usually catch larger cats on live bait! Usually the wait is longer but ive caught quite a few channels over ten pounds this year and 90% of them have been on live bluegill or chubs! The other ones ive caught off of fresh cut bait such as gills or shad! Although ever place is different! Welcome to the BOC!:wink:

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    James Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Thanks for sharing the tip.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats James, and welcome to the BOC.

8. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    liver, nightcrawlers and hot dogs in that order rick

9. mikemck

mikemck New Member

State:
    Texas
    Every time I try to use nightcrawlers, the Perch just nibble it all off.

I have had some success with hotdogs, but they also eat that if they find it.

I've pretty much just given up and now stick with punchbait or cut bait, although the cut bait does not seem to work very well for me for some reason.

10. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    HOW BIG ARE YOU CUTTING IT?

11. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    liver, cut sunfish, and stink bait like blue fish has been working very well, the blue fish is very oily and strong odor, chunks of that work very well:wink:

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I never go fishing without some nightcrawlers. I agree they are about the most dependable bait for eating size channels.

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Night crawlers are a good all around bait,but just about anything will hit them.Even good ol turtles.For Channels I use mostly Permo Stink Bait. It seems to stay on better in current than othr stink baits.
    Anyway WELCOME to the BOC/SOC and best of luck in what ever bait you use. Catch a biggin so we can see the pictures.

14. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    welcome to the BOC i agree nightcrawlers have always worked for me also use dead minnows and liver

15. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Same here, though I may not even use them if the bite of choice is cut bait.

16. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    bacon has worked well for me rick

17. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Well...nightcrawlers are involved in my channel catching process.

If there's a good rain that gets the runoffs to pumpin' some water...the only thing better than nightcrawlers is a soft shell crawfish.

However...during normal water conditions...I use the nightcrawler to catch 2 - 3" black perch on a #8 gold aberdeen hook on my ultralite...which I in turn use carolina rigged and/or under a lighted bobber along weedlines, brush piles, or rock piles near a point...rip rap, or a drop off.

Perch are my #1 big channel bait most of the time...but there are other times when there are better options...such as nightcrawlers or crayfish.

A guy just has to be ready to adjust, adapt...and overcome.

18. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    We had great luck with the bluefish I also use shrimp a lot for channels but like you said the blue works better than shrimp and stays on the hook way better than liver try beef liver too:wink:

19. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    beef liver will stay on the hook indefinitely....nothing will ever hit it and you will need vise grips to get it off the hook when you are done. try turkey liver it stays on the hook much better than chicken and the fish will bite the hell out of it. It is a little harder to come by than chicken liver but it's much cheaper if you buy it in bulk.It is easy to find this time of year just go to any grocery store and they will sell you a 30 or 40 lb case frozen.

20. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    A friend of mine runs a butcher shop...and he saves beef melt for me.

We use it in lieu of chicken liver...it's just as bloody (especially when marinated long term in chicken liver juice)...and has EXCELLENT staying power on the hook.

It will not come off without a knife and/or pliers.