My stepsons first fish

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by flathunter, Jun 16, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    As many of you know My wife and I have had major problems with my stepson since the age of 4...We finally got a dignosis about a month ago of bipolar disorder, and he is now on medication..This came after a long stay in a juvenile detention center for asulting his mother..He is somewhat better, now the meds are helping, but not enough yet..Anyway I was able to take him fishing for the first time today in the 8 years he has been in my life, never could controll him long enough to do that..We managed to fish 4 hrs and landed 6 channels..Here is a picture of his first fish ever.

Attached Files:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    That'll work in a positive way. Nice pic and I hope ya both are on the path to workin things out.

3. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Nice fish, especially for first one ever!
    Hope that trip has a long lasting positive effect on your stepson.
    Keep hanging in there with him as it will get better so long as he stays on his meds once they get the right ones worked out.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Tell him congrats on the catch Jack, nice fish.

Glad you got to spend some quality time with him brother, hopefully he will want to go out more.

5. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Nice fish, and I hope that your son can find some peace in fishing, he has a great mentor, show him the fun stuff and he should be hooked for life!

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am used to fishing with Mellon, and we dont talk alot while fishing..This Child was non stop talking, it got on my nerves of course, but I did not let it show..He has missed out on alot in life becuase of his mental illness, he is 14 years old and did not even understand while your bait made a splash when it hit the water.

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    your a good man Jack. many dads don't care about their kids. You chose to care, that makes your efforts more worthy.

8. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Wow nice first fish ,almost bigger than my best lol ,jk Good going on getting him out and spending quality time with him.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Thats a great first fish and between the meds and the relaxing quality time you two will be sharing on the water everything should be getting better with every trip. Fishing and family medicene the whole world should be taking.

10. BamaCats

BamaCats Member

State:
    Alabama
    Nice fish there Jack that he got, and about the other thing i am also diagnosed with bipolar disorder and they said i have porbaly had mine since i was a kid i am going in hte near future for a ADHD test so if you need someone to talk to brother drop me a PM or send me an email sharpshooter@troycable.net i will more than happy to sit and talk about anyhting that you and your wife have any queations about. Just do like i do and ask God to Help you day byday and it gets better.

11. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Like Bama said, trust in God & allow others to help you as much as possible.
    It sounds like you're a better dad than many biological fathers!

12. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    flathunter, I understand what you are going through. I have step kids from both marriages, and at one point or another had similar problems with both. It is hard to deal with sometimes, but you sound like a good man. Your stepson is lucky to have a Dad like you (there is no 'step' in Dad, it is not a title you getting for making a baby), and I think someday he will realize that, if he doesn't already.

Hang in there, I think you are doing the best thing possible: getting him outdoors and setting a very positive example.

I am around all the time, and I'll PM you my contact info if you every need a brother to talk to.

tatersalad

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dang buddy, you could have at elast taken him to one of our better spts & not that one! :big_smile:

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats to you flathunter for taking him fishing,Tell him I said congrats for the very nice fish! See good things happen If you don't take mellon.LMAO!!! j/k mellon.

15. dragon

dragon New Member

State:
    Delphos,Ohio
    Nice fish! Keep spending quality time with him and never give up on him. Someday he will thank you for it.

John

16. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois

17. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    too bad they don't make meds for what mellon has! glad to see your finally able to help the kid jakkal!

18. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    jack, tell him bigcat daddy 71 said thats a nice cat for a first. thats great you took him fishing.

19. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    I think no matter what age you are, that first fish will be remembered for a lifetime. Good for you and your stepson.:smile2:

20. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Mother and I raised five of our own and then went through twenty seven foster children. If you never do anything else Jack you have made a difference, simply because you and your wife didn't give up. As of today I have recieved 19 Fathers day cards. It's ruff going now but on the other side of all this it's not so hard when you see the reward. God Bless you both!
    Don