My South Carolina BOC Buddy

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by drpepper, Sep 13, 2008.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Some of ya know, I was suppose to be In South Carolina
    fishing my arse off for nine days but their weatherman must have got his degree from a bubblegum machine... said it was gonna rain and storm all week and go figure, it's nice blue sky's in SC... and here I set in the rain in Moorestucky Indiana.

I got an email from my buddy Bill ("Bill in SC")
    keeping me posted on what I'm missing :)tounge_out:)
    They've been hammerin' the big blues and he sent me pictures with more to come!
    It's cool to have catfishin' Buddies in different states!

Here's a C&P from Bill in SC's email story I thought was Cool...

"Here's a story.These guys all drift fish the big water. I'm just learning it. It's boring to me when not catchin' big 'uns, but I'm learning to like it because that's how they win the lake tournaments, covering lots of hot territory quickly. Dieter has the pics of the big 'uns they, (Roundhill, (roundhill) James (rivercatsc), and Dieter(wyliecat) ) caught yesterday. We'll get 'em to you. The story was hilarious. You've got to know Roundhill to appreciate it. Roundhill is a huge, barrel chested, jovial, mountain man by birth, catfish guide at the Santee. Every statement from him is a joke poking fun at someone. He is very entertaining, to say the least, with his "man colas". Well, he mainly guides though a great fisherman in his own right. He is one cool dude! Well, they hooked up with one of the big ones yesterday, it was on Dieter's striper rod. From the story I heard, they prodded roundhill to reel him in. He finally went and got the rod and it bent into a U! :) Roundhill fought him around and around, one side to the other with this limber rod. James fell down in the excitement. Roundhill came in telling everybody about Dieter's bream rods! They went on and on about it. There is NO last word with roundhill. James and roundhill are it the tournament today, but I came home as it was a $250 entry fee, and my small skiff isn't safe in this BIG water when any wind is blowing. James or roundhill are tough to beat in a tourney, and are fishing together today. These are the guys WE were going out with, well I did fish with James Friday. When they told me about the fish, and showed me the pics, I went back at it hard and was about thirty minutes late for the gathering, trying to match the the Matherlys, the Howards and the Melhorns! Didn't happen for me though. Coulda' used some Indiana savvy! :) Like Mickey says, "It only takes one cast, my day will come!"
    The FOOD was to die for! PIPING hot right out of the grease catfish fillets, and cubed gator meat. That damn fried gator meat is SUPER! If a meat is ever similar to chicken in flavor, this is it. The texture is different, but not bad in any way. Not fishy at all. Having never tasted it before, I expected it would be fishy, but NOT so. All that with the best baked beans I ever tasted. All food was in massive amounts. Only had about 35 or 40 show up. Probably a hundred hamburgers, as many hot dogs, with a HUGE catfish stew, which I don't eat. Topped off with homemade pound cake, and earthquake cake, pies, and many more other sweet cake/pie type stuff. About ate ourselves sick, and then headed right back out and fished all night. I stayed in the diversion canal after Friday night, because us lake rookies didn't want to tackle the big water before we learn properly.. Big Bird has a gps, and a big water boat, but we are just learning to use it. We did actually try to tackle the big water last night but, we ended up in some shallows, got apprehensive and went back to the canal. I'm a boatsman from birth, and an excellent navigator, but not familiar with big water and the Santee can be a dangerous place. BTW: I heard, some years the canal yields the biggest fish of the Santee for the year. Peg, so he says, saw somebody pull a 50 or 60 pounder out of it last night. We ALL know Peg will spin one after some colas, but he sounded serious this time. :) Look for yesterday's big fish pics, and the tournament pics real soon. I'll get 'em to you when they get to my machine. Hey man, don't be despondent. We'll try to secure roundhill and/or James to take us fishin' at the Santee whenever you get ready. Don't forget, fall and WINTER are great fishin' at the Santee if that works better for your schedule. Looking at all,this typing, I guess the adrenalin is still pumping! I'm gonna lie down! Rough on a 54 year old man!
    Lemme tell you one more story! Alligators are ALL OVER the place down there. One swam right beside our boat under water, for a long time while we were in some flats throwing the cast net for bait. Their bubble trail is astoundingly fast! That being said, this morning at about 3 am, I heard a huge crash and thrashing sound. I pondered what it could have been. I had been watching a great blue heron, and some sort of white heron squawk about territory Saturday afternoon. At night, the herons mill around in the edge of the water, or roost on a limb not too high off the water. For some reason it instantly dawned on me that an alligator probably had lunged from the water at a heron. The way it sounded, the heron was probably roosting on a low branch. I quickly shined the spotlight in the direction of the commotion, and low and behold a BIG bull alligator had indeed tried to get a blue heron! It squawked away flying unharmed, and the gator quickly pursued anyhow. It was a hell of a quick deduction, as I hadn't seen gator nor heron since that afternoon and had travelled many miles since last seeing any. Just one of those rare quick thoughts that actually IS what you thought it might be. Speaking of bait, James showed us a place close to the landing in the canal, where water boils up from some discharge at the power plant. The bait abounds there. Easy to catch all sorts of bait with the cast net. We caught one or two mullets that weighed at least 2 pounds each, some smaller, theadfin shad, minhaden, one gizzard shad, and two of the prettiest gold carp you ever saw about 2 or 3 pounds each. That carp was a real bloody bait, and what I caught my blue on.
    I'm through rambling now, really.
    BB"

2. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hahaha Good Story... And that Roundhill.... Now that there is a character and a half.. At the Cumberland Fish and Camp the guy had me rollin....

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Just got off the phone with James. As I expected, he and roundhill WON the tourney yesterday! Big fish was 44 pounds. They won big fish and overall! Congrats to this pair of fishermen for a job well done! Rain, what rain? :)
    Bill in SC

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    They can thank their weather man for foolin' me:wink: