My sons first catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by catman73, Jul 9, 2007.

1. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    Well over the weekend I got busy and was not able to get out with the boy to do any fishing so we went this morning. We went to Clinton spillway and he was just not to intrersted in the way the water was flowing and he couldnt do anything without a snag. So we went to Marys Lake. Its odd that we went there as we have never been there together. I have many fond memories of fishing there as a kid with my Dad and Granddad. Well we got there and made the 1/4 mile hike in and fished on the dock with another gentleman that was there. He was very helpful with my son and low and behold my son caught his first catfish ever. He was really excited. It wasnt big enough to keep so we threw it back and kept on fishin. Well he ended up skunkin me as usual. He caught 2 that were keepers. One of them he caught on a small piece of worm as were trying to catch another perch to cut up. He was so excited. On the way home he had to call his mom and grandma both at work to let them know that he had finally caught a catfish. I dont know who was more proud him or I. I know its kinda corny but felt the need to share the story. Thanks for reading.

Attached Files:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    The only corny part is that ya only took a couple of pics. LOL! Thanx for sharein the story and pics.

3. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    way to go!! keep the kids hooked on fishing not drugs although it can be just as expensive and addicting lol:smile2:

4. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Brother if that is corney then i must be a corn ball!!! That smile on his face is what its all about!! Tell him we all said WTG!!

5. boozer

boozer New Member

State:
    kansas
    its not corney to be proud.when my daughter caught her first perch i posted it all over this sight.this is something you two can enjoy for a lifetime.go out and make many more great memories and more great pictures.good luck.:big_smile:

6. strohcephus

strohcephus New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Not corny at all, down right heartwarming. Keep him fishin, and enjoy!!

Well done young man.:wink:

7. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Glad you shared -- believe me, when my daughter catches her first it'll be everywhere. Heck, I'll probably have shirts made. :) Congrats!

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The smile on your sons face says it all. You have a lot to be proud of. Memories he will never forget. Priceless. Thanks for sharing.:cool2::cool2::smile2:

9. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I love to get the kids involved also. Thanks for sharing.:0a23:

10. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Thanks for sharing your kids and your photos! But be careful, soon they may out fishing you! Its awesome to see kids fishing!

11. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    It's great to see another Dad spending quality time with their child. definately not corney:wink: Thanks for sharing. Please tell him "congrats" from all of us.

12. KC Fishin

KC Fishin New Member

State:
    Olathe,Kansas
    this is my first reply new to this site i know feeling to see your lil one catch that fish they been waiting for i'am so proud of my son i put him on my avatar with his first big fish

13. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    That is so awsome i cant wait till my son catches his first fish. He is only three he goes but he likes to play rather then fish and that is fine also. congrats

14. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for sharing his first. My daughter just got hers last night way to go.

15. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    Just wanted to take a minute to say thank you to all the wonderful brothers and sisters that have left replies on this thread. I showed it to my son, who knew nothing about this before today. He was really excited to see that many people thought that it was cool that he caught his first cats. Thanks again.

16. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    That boy already looks like a fisherman!:wink:Congrats on his first and hopefully not last.

17. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Tell him congrats on the catch, thanks for sharing.

18. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Congrats on the catch. I foresee a future tip/hint giver, the ultimate cat rod inventor, well ya get the point.

19. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Darrin, great post, and great pics, congratulations to the "New Catman" .:big_smile:

20. SassyManxLady

SassyManxLady New Member

State:
    MO
    Darrin,
    You tell your son that I said "WAY TO GOOOO!!!"
    There ain't nothing corny about being happy, proud and just dang thrilled over your son's first catfish.

I can remember the first fish I caught, and instead of reeling the fish in, I just took off running up the bank and didn't stop till I had that fish on dry land :embarassed:

I have kids come out on the weekends and I take them fishing. There ain't nothing any finer than taking a child fishing and seeing him/her catch a fish and the looks on their faces.

Thank you for such a fine post and for sharing with us.

Sassy