My son first big fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by peej, Feb 19, 2008.

1. peej

peej New Member

State:
    cameron,tx
    Today , I took my two boys (3 and 2 ) fishing with me today. So I stop by walmart and picked up two poles..One a spider man the other cars. So we go to the local lake (pflugerville) , a lake about 2 or 3 yrs old.So my son want a shrimp on his line.so i put one on their a threw it out about 15yrds. I'm tryin to getting my younger son setteled down.Then all or a sudden I hear a dude close by yellin at me , telling me my son has one.so I turn around a he has a nice one.. so I tried to take his pole from him and he say daddy no its my fish , not yours.so i hold the pole , but the fish keep takin line , the more I tighten up the drag , the more the reel cries. so my son finally gave me the pole.i know this is a spiderman reel with about 5lb test..i fight this fish about 15 minutes. I got him within 10 feet from the bank , then all of a sudden he comes to the top and make a huge splash and break the line .my son walk over to me and kick me right on the leg. and said "you let my fish go " :sad2:.. its 1130pm now and hes still mad at me.i know hell get over it , but man i wish i could have landed that fish..

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Another day, another way buddy!!!

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    lol That'll keep him turned on to fishin but you need to get them some better reels lol

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    LOL, sounds like the younging's gonna be hooked on cats now ; ) I'm glad to here yas get out together. My son has the same pole and he made me put on some old Spider wire I had. He said a Spiderman pole needs spider wire...I just couldnt argue that one, LOL. Thanks for sharing your story and we hope he lands the next one....g'luck

-Jim-

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for the story. Sorry for the little guy that daddy lost his big fish.:eek:oooh::smile2:
    If your kids are anything like mine. Don't take the "snoopy" poles unless you want to end up using them.:smile2: My kids end up with the good gear on every outing. Either my wife or myself (sometimes both) end up giving the kids our poles so they can land the fish. I have sat there many a time with the kids pole while they use mine.:smile2::eek:oooh::big_smile: Had to learn to take extra poles. The kids still want there toy poles on the boat but they end up wanting to fish with a "daddy or mommy pole".:smile2: Priceless.:big_smile:

Thanks
    David

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    sorry he got away , you will get him next time !

7. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Welcome to the BOC, sorry your boy lost "the big one" Pretty cool to be 3 years old and have 'the one that got away' story. I have never cared for the line that comes with new reels, they just seem weak. Better luck next time, I'm sure there'll be more fish to be caught.

Rubes

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I feel your pain but I am laughing to-I am getting ready to start my little girls on giong out-there a little older and me-my brother and unc are all in a heated debate cause I refuse to go Barbie or Dora,babies gonna be out with dad we are getting decent equiptment fer them-not to expensive or fancy but all the while not Barbie or Dora.You just sewed it up to I dont want to get kicked to:wink:I am printing this off and showing them dad knows best

9. mmuckleroy

mmuckleroy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Nothing like fishing with your son. I still fish with my 78 yr old father. My son still fishes with me. His son is now fishing with his dad. My father fished with his dad till he was 93 yrs old. What a feeling.:big_smile:

10. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    time for a zebco hawg seeker or an abu garcia, hell even the 5 or 6000's from wal mart will do. He's definately hooked for sure

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Great story! He'll get him next time!

12. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Thanks for sharing. The hunt is on now lol.:wink:

13. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    i saw the same thing happen at red rock dam once but just another reason to take them out again

14. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Don't tell him about the girl in Houston who landed the 50 lb Black Drum on a Barbie pole...

[SIZE=-1]www.truveo.com/Girl-Catches-50Pound-Fish-With-Barbie-Pole/id/4291024303 - 80k -[/SIZE]

15. peej

peej New Member

State:
    cameron,tx
    well I have upgrade to the Boss Hawg 33 classic for him..I'm takin him to the river this weekend.just caught about 3 dozen small crawfish and dug about 3 to 4 dozen of good texas earth worms..so I'll see whats been going down here in central texas this weekend.like i told momma you might not see us till sunday night..i'll get back with yall if we have any luck......

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Wished you could have landed that fish for him, but he'll get him next time. I bet he is still excited to. Rep's to ya for getting the kids involved in the outdoors:cool2:.