My Smoke-pole Doe

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by VerotiK, Dec 18, 2005.

1. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    Well, i have spent so much time hunting this year that its getting borderline rediculous to have not seen a legal buck. Many of you have probably seen the deer cam pictures i have posted, and for around here, those were some very decent bucks. We had a special 3-day muzzleloader hunt this weekend, and i couldn't wait to get out hunting because this past wednesday, i got a picture of a 8-point eating at my feeder where my treestand is. Well, i went bowhunting Wednesday and Friday and didn't see anything, so i knew i had to see something this weekend. Went out yesterday and got in my stand at 5:45 am and sat there till my toes froze off and left around 10am, didnt see anything. Came back at 3pm and sat till dark, and still didnt see anything. I was starting to get depressed. I got a special doe tag from the game & fish that allows me to shoot a doe with a gun (we dont have unlimited doe tags like alot of states do, and we can only take a doe by bow, unless you have a doe tag). I had passed up several does earlier in the season, hoping they'd be dragging a buck behind them, but that just never happened. SO, this morning i get to my stand at the same time as yesterday and get all set up, and brought some hot-hands to put in my boots this time. The sun came up around 7am. About 7:45 i hear something just crashing through the woods, and directly in front of me, about 150 yards away, 6 does are running flat out down the side of the hill, so i start grunting like crazy trying to get one to stop, but they'd have none of it. Where my stand it, it is on a bench working its way around the mountain, and its real thick with mid-growth and sapling oaks. I dont have a clear shot in any direction over 50-60 yards, and these deer were running in an area where i'd possibly have a shot. Well, after they ran by, i knew the morning hunt was probably over, because the way they were running, dogs were probably chasing them. It wasn't 30 seconds later, and here came 2 more doe's. They stopped breifly behind a big rock, then ran the same way the others did, but they wouldn't stop for my grunts either. I figured i'd sit for a few more hours anyway, just in case something else decided to stroll by. About 20 mins passed and i heard something coming up the hill, and as i turned, the last 2 does that i had grunted at turned around and were coming right at my stand, but they were pretty sneaky because i never heard them coming up, and they were about 25 yards away and on my bad side, as i was turned towards where all the deer had come by. I started to turn and shoot and she saw me and stopped and looked right up at me, and i figured "What the h#ll" and kept on turning, knowing she was about to bolt anyway. I couldn't believe what happened next. She watched me turn and draw down on her, then she put her head down and started walking right towards me again. The ole .50 cal smoke-pole took her down immediately, making a clean kill. Just got done grinding the whole deer up, this ones being made into jerky, minus the backstraps and tenderloins.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=12/35116340971.jpg&s=x11

2. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    hey it's deer in the freezer, i just got eat a ham from a spike that was shot 3 weeks ago talk about some good eating...
    congrads on the clean kill and thanx for the story...

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Hay, If the season was open meat is meat, I do not know a way to cook those horns to make them soft enough to eat ;) :D

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Congrats on the doe. I took one yesterday as well.

Got on stand about 6:30. The stand was overlooking what I call hollers and ravines. Its basically a big bowl with a little ridge cutting it in half. About 7 I hear something coming from behind me and about 75 yards or so to my right. Its real thick through here so I couldnt see her until she was half way out in the bowl just on the other side of the middle ridge. Well there was no way Im gonna drag that doe down one side of a holler and up the other. I decide to give grunt calling a try and it works. She follows my calling to within 25-30 yards of my stand and boom I got her. Had her quartered out and back home before 9.

So far this year Ive taken two does. One with my 30-06 and one with my smokepole. Now if I can just get my buck or another doe with a bow Ill be happy. That would be a first for me. Three deer with three different weapons.

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    WTG VerotiK :thumbsup:
    Lots of good eating there.....
    A guys gotta wonder our madness some times when you can't feel your toes LOL...

6. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Jon, Congrats on your deer. :D

7. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Congrats!! Put one in the freezer a couple of weeks ago myself, had deer spaghetti tonight,um :)

8. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Congrats Jon, I know how frustrating it is to find a decent buck to shoot, knowing full well they are in your area, Ive always hoped I could find the cave they hide in during season ;) . Set on my stand yesterday and saw nothin. Congrats again. Mac

9. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    Congrats on your kill !

i had seen all kind of bucks this season but nothing i harvest was worth putting on the wall.
    2 bucks with my bow "both were scrub bucks"
    1 doe with the rifle

season is almost over completely for deer in our state "wv"

10. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    This is my second doe of the season, the first was with a crossbow. I've still got one more tag left i can fill, for a buck. We'll see. I might be done, but i doubt it.