My smallest flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catchinghogs, Jun 4, 2006.

1. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Caught my smallest flathead tonight he was a misely 8 inches caught him on a minnow fishing for bait.I was going to take him home and put in my 55 gallon aquarium but think he would of cleaned it out.

Attached Files:

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I see future trophy written all over him!

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dang your smallest is bigger than Mellon's biggest!

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    lmao @ jack,poor mellon you guys wont let up on him.

5. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thats a small flathead but I am ashamed to say that I actually caught one that was 5 inches while fishing during the day.

6. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Mark, it does my heart good to see that even you can catch a flathead smaller than my one for the year so far. LOL:big_smile:

7. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    My son caught one of those 10 days ago. I told him we would put in an aquarium. About $700 later, it's a done deal. Hind site information: I'd recommend buying everything on-line, it's a lot cheaper than the store. I tried to feed him what he got caught on (worms) but he wouldn't have it. I offered him small bream and I think he ate one but I'm not positive. Blood worms nope, aquarium shrimp, nope. He was looking poor so I bought 15 feeder minnows last night. By the time I got all of them out of the bag there were 13 left. This morning there are none to be seen. I take it a flathead can put away some groceries.

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LMAO, Mellon never gets a break. It will grow up and try and break your line one day.

9. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    small now but huge later in life

10. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Does it like mellon. oh i couldn't resist. I am courious how fast it will grow in the tank.

11. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Finger food...:lol: .

12. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Feed it feeder goldfish and crickets from a local pet store and it'll grow like a weed. :big_smile:

13. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    My grandson and I was crappie fishing a couple weeks back he caught one 6 inch on a minnow.I wished we had got some pic of it.

:big_smile_2:

:cat:

14. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I thought my smallest was small until I saw that one too! LOL

15. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We should put him in my tank with my smallest channel cat and see what happens!?!?!

16. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    that's a small one man

17. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I've usually off and on kept 10-15 diff species of catfish to the point a room looks like a pet store fish dept. I always wanted a flattie but was never able to get one. I had several very beautiful channel cats, looking for another for our pond actually and I also had 3 black bullheads I caught when they where no bigger than a crappie minnow, i finally released them into a buddies pond at 11" those things were viscious. I also had a mean little channel i appropriately named jaws, i had at one point kept a pickerel frog in the 29 gallon with him, he was about 5.5-6" long at the time, frog was a healthy adult, the channel cat grabbed him by the leg, drug him under and into his little catfish cave and drown the frog, he'd try to bite the crap out of you when handfeeding.

18. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i dont know if this was a flathead but i might have caught one about 4 or 5 inches when fishin for bullheads

19. jobiechillin

jobiechillin New Member

State:
    Pennsylvainia
    I had one I caught last year probably about 4" i caught on worm & jig. I kept him in a tank for a year . He would eat 2 dozen goldfish a week . He didnt seem to be growing much though so I let him go this spring.

20. katmandue

katmandue New Member

State:
    Bonne Terre, MO
    When I was younger and in boy scouts, we went camping at Winfield Lake in KS. Anywho, we were running a seign net along the shoreline for shad and on one of our runs, we caught a flathead that was no bigger than my pinky. I wanted to keep it, but didn't have anywhere to put it.:sad2: