My shelter....

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by field989, Mar 25, 2007.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    here are 2 pics of it.... in the the pic shelter1 the shiny stuff is some aluminum sheet stuff i found so i tied it to the top of it as a bit of rain protection...... in the pic shelterone on the other side u will see a piece of blue tarp .... well there is a tarp now covering that one side.... also u can see the first fire i made out there ..... and you can see the cooking rack/sittin stool i made in shop class..

so what do ya think of it.... i wanted to make something in the woods where i could relax and camp out....

yes i am plannin on camping out at this location this summer.... just me, the fire, and the outdoords....

it will be awesome

Thanks
    Jeff

Attached Files:

2. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jeff,
    Hey man that looks very nice! I myself have been kind of wanting to do the same type of thing for a while now. I think for me it stems from watching to many episodes of Man Vs Wild and Survivorman. But looking at the pictures you seem to have a pretty good grasp at what your doing. Take some pics while your out there with the fire and post em' up! Would love to see a Catfish smoking over your fire as well.

Way to go,
    Garrett

3. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good for you. I did this many times when younger. I would go for 2 or 3 days with my dog. I took a sleeping bag some potatos, cooking oil, coffee and coffee pot. I would travel trout streams out west so I always had frest fish.
    Enjoy.

Danny

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Danny with all that food you were taking it sounds like you were on a three day picnic. Ha. Ha.:big_smile:

5. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    That reminds me of my son finish his Wilderness Survival Merit Badge. He built his shelter out in our backyard for fun. I had branches and twine all over. It looks like you did a pretty good job.

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Who do you think you are...Les Stroud? JK LOL!! I think everyone should get in touch with nature from time to time. I know I need to get away from civilization sometimes. Set some snares, and smoke up some tasty critters!!

7. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    That looks like a very cool and comfortable spot. Way to use natural cover Jeff.

8. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Jeff
    I think also that your whole idea is awesome. But I got to say and please don't take offense, I'm sure going to show this to the bride next time she complains about roughing it in the tent. I wish I was young enough to join you. Luck

9. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    hey none taken.... lol

yea its pretty comfy though

Jeff

10. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Nice shelter. In my younger days I would jump at the chance to camp out like that. As a semi-retired Confederate reenactor, I have spent many nights sleeping out under the stars. Now, however, a tent and a cot is just as fun.

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Nothing Beats going out a couple days to get your batterys charged:cool2:

12. This Guy

This Guy New Member

State:
    Texas
    I can't see the pics yet, but this sounds like the shelter my buddies and I made a few years back. Ours was about 8'X10'. It took about 2 months of casual work to build, and probably less than an hour for some little punks to burn down. We only worked on it when nobody was around, and wore camo incase someone showed up while we were working. There were no trails leading to it until the local mountain bike club blazed a trail that went within 15' of it.

I would plant some fast growing vines around it, unless you're willing to share it with anyone that may happen to come close to it.

13. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I am like ROTTDOG, likes to watch survivorman an man vs wild. When I was younger did th same thing, would like to go out in my backyard an pretend I was lost in th wilderness, now, I'm all grown up and I still love th outdoors and it doesnt hurt to know a lil somethin somethin bout buildin a shelter or fire like what u got there
    Looks cool, I just bought a house in th country, and will be spending ALOT of time w/my 4 boys doin th same as u did there. teachin them how to build a shelter an fire. teach them how to set snares, catch fish an clean an cook their catch. thanks for posting, nice to see others who enjoy "roughing it" like me. just hope my kids enjoy it as much as I do to.

14. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great hide you got going on. I use to do that, before I got a job, wife, kids, mortage......I hate growing up!

Every spring, during spring break from high school, a few of use wold ruff it down in the Shanwee Forest. Just makes you more "civil" getting away for a few days.

I never had good luch with field made snares. I bought a bunch from a freind online and use them. I would rather take them instead of a firearm.

I've taken both Princess's out for at least a two night "walkabout". My oldest laughs at Les!

Jerry

15. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Ain't nothin' like stayin' out at night with a couple of buddies or yourself. The guys and me inhabited a shelter back when we were fourteen or fifteen. Was a fallen hedge tree that had to be three hundred years old, by the size of it. It wrapped and twisted into a perfect location to camp. There was a place for everything and it was all natural. A place for firewood, a place to keep kindling dry for future outings, a place for food to be safe from critters, even had seats as it wrapped around our fire at a perfect distance with one particular spot that was like a recliner. Also had a place big enough for three of us to sleep out of any weather short of a hurricane (camped there threw nasty winter weather, comfortably). That's how big it was. Unfortunately, as young and dumb as we were, we built a miniature bon fire out of tar paper and hedge for the hell of it and some embers got in the cracks of that big old tree. Went back two days later, and it was nothing but embers itself. It was a depressing moment of realization for all of us. And with covers off, we said goodbye...lol Guess smokey the bear was right.

-Red

16. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I think you have been watching " Man vs Wild" too much on TV. Thats a little tooooo primitive for me. LOL LOL.

17. CATFISH HUNTER61

CATFISH HUNTER61 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Remind's me when i was in school.we didn't wate for summer.spent a few cold snowey nites in my leanto.good luck[​IMG]

18. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    The shelter looks pretty good. If I may ask, what are you using to secure the roof? I usually have problems with the wind when I'm camping.

-- Rich

19. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    You tougher than i am friend. If i slept on the ground, i wouldn't be able to get back up from it lol.:smile2: neat lookin area though

20. mxpres

mxpres Member

State:
    Granite falls
    That brings back good memories of my early boyhood.I fared better than some,I salvages an old pup tent from a trash dump and one side didn't have holes in it,I lived not far from a small lake and could load my wagon with my gear and haul it to the lake and load my old wooden paddle boat and off up river for several days .Just me and the critters.How in the world a copperhead or rattler never got me is a wonder to my mom but who thinks of those things when your young????